Author Topic: Death of John Campbell  (Read 6143 times)

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Death of John Campbell
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 19:14 GMT (UK) »
No you are correct, I just misread that one.  If the information on the Reindeer is correct and OP GGF is the Campbell on the Reindeer then it is unlikely that the marriage of his wife in 1886 has any connection to his death.  Perhaps the wife thought she had been abandoned and therefore remarried. 

Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline Jessie 46

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 19:23 GMT (UK) »

I have been watching this post with interest as I have been looking for a John Campbell for a long long time unfortunately not this one.  For almost twenty years I have spent  a fortune on certs. and visits to NRH in Edinburgh which now that I am retired I can't afford as often as I would like.

I have read back all clancam37's posts on John Campbell and I am really amazed at all the help he has received over the years researching him.

How lucky we are with all these helpful "Rooters " giving us so much advice and help I for one truly
appreciate it.

Jessie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Mmm, yes Ray, quite possible to have thought she was abandoned or widowed.

There's no mention of whether he was ever 'at home' at/on any precise time (years)/place with wife & family after they emigrated?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 19:35 GMT (UK) »
I have read back all clancam37's posts on John Campbell and I am really amazed at all the help he has received over the years researching him.

How lucky we are with all these helpful "Rooters " giving us so much advice and help I for one truly
appreciate it.

Jessie

Thanks Jessie,

I'm sure all will be delighted & 'appreciate' your words  :)

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline clancam37

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi RayDen,   Thanks for your replies.
Interest in your remark -- was it the Reindeer John Campbell who gained his Master's Cert. in Liverpool in 1868?  The ship Reindeer came from France ( Carcuche or similar).  Have looked at this over the years -- undecided.  My John had a daughter, Elizabeth Baxter Campbell born Liverpool, married name SALTER, married Victoria Australia.
Cannot find an Australian death, burial that might be him.  Thanks for your interest.
With a GGF born in 1826 I too am aging and would very much like to find him while I'm compis mentis.
Kind regards
clancam37
There is a seaman John Campbell age 54 (born 1825) arriving in Sydney New South Wales 20 May 1879.

He arrived on the ship Reindeer of Dundee (can't make out where he sailed from). 

There were 14 crew and 2 passengers.  One of the passengers was Elizabeth Campbell and the list was signed by John Campbell (Master)!!

The ships list is shown under:  "New South Wales, Australia, Unassisted Immigrant Passenger Lists, 1826-1922"

John Campbell obtained his Masters papers in Liverpool in 1868.

Ray

Offline clancam37

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 23:18 GMT (UK) »
HI Jessie46,  I too am overwhelmed with the number of replies to my search for my GGF.  I have records of most ancestors back to 1711 in Perthshire and Fife  where my ancestors originated. 
Would dearly like to find my GGF place and date of Death to complete my FT.  A large family reunion is planned for April 2017 as well as my major birthday so trying, trying to find this information.
Thanks to everyone for help and information.
Clancam37

I have been watching this post with interest as I have been looking for a John Campbell for a long long time unfortunately not this one.  For almost twenty years I have spent  a fortune on certs. and visits to NRH in Edinburgh which now that I am retired I can't afford as often as I would like.

appreciate it.

Jessie

Offline Geoff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • TV, great add for Radio
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi CC,

Sorry to say there is no death or burial registered on Scotland's People from 1870--1900.

Cheers
Geoff
** Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk **
Martlock, Pilton, Doubting & Frome:
MASTERS, PORCH, BOULTON, HACKETT,
Combe Hay, HINTON, WEEKS,
Perthshire: CRICHTON, TAYLOR, MOON, IRONS, KIDD
Durham, FENWICK, PUNSHON, EDDY, HENRY aka LAVERICK
Northumberland, BUCHANAN, HODGSON, HALL,
Lincoln: MASKEY,BIRD,FISHER,HARLEY,
Cambridgeshire, CROSS, FOREMAN, FREEMAN, ONG,
FEAST, MOXON
Gloucestershire, HILL, COX, NEWELL
Sussex, CHAPMAN, NEVE, DOWNER
Surrey, NEWELL, WEBB,

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Cannot find an Australian death, burial that might be him.  Thanks for your interest.

I mentioned above about whether he emigrated as you have not mentioned anything regarding being at home (an address) at any given time in Aus?

Did he live with his wife or have you no evidence of him living in Aus?

Annie

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 07:32 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked out the the death in Liverpool in 1874 ?