Author Topic: Death of John Campbell  (Read 6156 times)

Offline clancam37

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Death of John Campbell
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 16 March 17 23:09 GMT (UK) »
HI Seaweed,  Thanks for your comments.  It seems it was not unusual for an 11 year old to travel alone, according to others in Australia.  At the time I found this entry I thought I may be mistaken.
There was another young fellow came with his father (age not specified) on the "Great Britain" at a similar date, however discounted this possibility.
Thanks for your continuing interest.
Kind regards
clancam37
Jen

Missed that, I had just assumed (note to self never assume) that an 11 year old would not be travelling alone.  Just tried to find the crew list for the Remington to see if his father was on crew - not the master that was a Robert Monro.  Not found crew list as yet.

Ray

The  1876 Crew Agreements of the Liverpool registered ship REMINGTON, official number 45910 are available from here.
https://www.mun.ca/mha/holdings/viewcombinedcrews.php?Official_No=45910

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 17 March 17 01:06 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked out the the death in Liverpool in 1874 ?

This question from Rosie was Reply #26, 1st asked by Rosie on Reply #6 but yet to be answered or acknowledged as are some of the questions I've asked?

This to me fits well with the date frame you're searching his death!....
"Trying to find his place and date of death sometime between 1871 and 1886"

You have not confirmed whether John was ever recorded at any address with his wife & family after they emigrated nor have you mentioned whether he was 'alive' on marriages of children?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline clancam37

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 17 March 17 22:06 GMT (UK) »
HI Rosie17,
Wrote, paid for, and received this Death Certificate some years ago.  Alas was not my GGF.
Have checked other deaths in Lancashire and Warwickshire.  Searched also for the Lodger, Jonas Blakey on the 1871 Census -- no success.  The other Lodger on the 1871 census was his Father-In-Law John Usher. John Usher may have died in Victoria 1895  -- Can find no trace of John Usher coming to Australia.  Thanks for your reply.
Regards
clancam37
Have you checked this death for a John Campbell birth year 1826
Death July -Sept 1874 Liverpool Lancashire  age 48 ?

Rosie

Offline clancam37

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 17 March 17 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosinish, He seemed to be away from Home frequently, very little census information on him over the years.  When he and Mary Ann Louisa married in 1864 they left the next morning on his ship "Bon Accord" to travel to India. My GrandFather was born on the return journey to England November 1864 off the coast of Africa.  I do have the Ship's Log entry of the birth with latitude and longitude.  I do appreciate the assistance from so many people.  Rootschat is a great site,  Hopefully someone knows his fate.
Regards
clancam37

Mmm, yes Ray, quite possible to have thought she was abandoned or widowed.

There's no mention of whether he was ever 'at home' at/on any precise time (years)/place with wife & family after they emigrated?

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 18 March 17 02:57 GMT (UK) »
CC,

Looks like you have covered all areas most likely but nothing found, is it possible that with;

"The ship Reindeer came from France ( Carcuche or similar)" he may have died in France?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 18 March 17 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Clamclancam37,
Have you compared the signature on the marriage certifcate with those on the Reindeer's crew list (he signs twice by the look of it)? I'm curious as to why the Liverpool Master's ticket is 88690 while the original Dundee one was 10334 I didn't know a new number was allocated when a ticket was replaced. Finally, have you seen the death certificate of the John Campbell aged 65 who inconveniently died 1st quarter of 1891 in Liverpool - hence missing the census!
Jen
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 04 May 20 11:06 BST (UK) »
John Usher may have died in Victoria 1895  -- Can find no trace of John Usher coming to Australia.

In case you haven't already found this, John Usher died on 11 August 1876 aged 64, abode Rathbone Street, Liverpool. He is buried at St James' cemetery in a family grave along with James and Tryphena Rickards  and Elizabeth, Sarah and Maria Heath.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk