Author Topic: Cathan Mathews, Kilsaran, Louth. Died between 1823 and 1828?  (Read 3541 times)

Offline element4

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cathan Mathews, Kilsaran, Louth. Died between 1823 and 1828?
« on: Tuesday 14 March 17 00:35 GMT (UK) »
As I just asked in a reply to somebody else on this forum, I am trying to find out about my great, great, great grandmother Cathan Mathews.  Her daughter Bridget Ward was baptised on 15th June 1823 in Kilsaran, Louth, Ireland, according to the Catholic Parish Registers 1809-1826.  Spouse James Ward, child Bridget Ward.

I haven't been able to find out much about my great, great grandmother Bridget Ward, other than her marriage to my great, great grandfather Thomas Greenwood in Manchester in 1846, and the birth of my great grandfather Hiram Greenwood in Manchester in 1846, and they are all on the 1851 census living in Manchester with Bridget's half brother and sister, Betsy Ward, born 1828 Ireland, and John Ward, born 1837 Ireland.  (Somebody on another thread on this forum a long time ago said in passing that they were Bridget's half siblings).

The family can't be found on the 1861 census, and I have no further trace of either Bridget or Thomas Greenwood, or of Betsy and John Ward, but Hiram re-appears on the 1871 census living in Salford with his Irish (Dublin) born wife Mary Ann (Roche, 1848-1900) and two infant daughters. Hiram's first child Rebecca was born in 1868 in Salford, and his second child Mary Ellen in 1870 in Salford.

I wonder if the whole family went back to Ireland, which is why they were not on the English 1861 census.  Also, I wonder if Bridget and Thomas stayed in Ireland?

It looks as though Cathan Mathews might have died some time between 1823 when Bridget was born and 1828 when Betsy Ward was born, and James Ward might have re-married during that time, possibly in Kilsaran, Louth.

Offline element4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Cathan Mathews, Kilsaran, Louth. Died between 1823 and 1828?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 02:10 GMT (UK) »
The record for Bridget Ward's baptism gives the name Cathan for the mother, though it seems this is usually a man's name?  It could be a misspelling?

There is a Cathe Mathews born 1809, baptism 23rd July 1809, in Kilsaran, Louth, Ireland.  Father P. Mathews, mother Bridget Waters.  Source:  Ireland, Catholic Parish Registers 1655-1915.  I don't know if that is the one I am looking for, curious if it is, that Cathe calls her firstborn and maybe only daughter after her mother.

I never thought I would find anything about my Irish ancestors, as so many of the records have been lost, and they were poor people not considered important at all.  James Ward, Bridget Ward's father, is shown on her marriage certificate as a labourer.  They just seem completely forgotten.   But maybe more information is becoming available.

Offline element4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Cathan Mathews, Kilsaran, Louth. Died between 1823 and 1828?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 December 17 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Just on the offchance that anyone has come across any of the names or can cast any light.  Bridget Ward married Thomas Greenwood in Manchester on 29th June 1846, and they had two little boys, James age 3 and Hiram age 4 (born 1846, Hume, Manchester) on the 1851 census.  They were on the 1851 England census living in Manchester, Clegg Court, Hume,  with Bridget's (half?) siblings John Ward age 14 and Betsy Ward age 23.  The whole family completely disappear from the records after the 1851 census, with the exception of my great grandfather, Hiram, who re-appears on the 1871 census with an Irish wife, born Mary Ann Roche (1848-1900), born in Dublin, where they have two little girls, Mary Ellen born 1870 and Rebecca born 1867, both girls born in Salford, England.  There is no record of any marriage in England between Hiram and Mary Ann, so presumably they were married in Ireland.

I assume the whole family returned to Ireland to live with relatives some time between the 1851 census and the 1861 census.  That is, Thomas and Bridget Greenwood and Bridget's two half siblings, Betsy and John Ward, and Thomas and Bridget's two sons James and Hiram.  And that Hiram married Mary Ann in Ireland.  Only Hiram ever appears on the English records again, and of course Mary Ann.