Author Topic: Taylor/Hennessey marriage - 28th August 1897 at St Anne's Parish Church, Belfast  (Read 2786 times)

Online gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Online gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Taylor/Hennessey marriage - 28th August 1897 at St Anne's Parish Church, Belfast
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 10:54 GMT (UK) »

... Son Henry born in August 1900 in Bray, Co. Wicklow:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1900/01987/1764961.pdf ...

Another lead, look at the informant - Mary Hennessey Grandmother.

Offline MoglieUK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Taylor/Hennessey marriage - 28th August 1897 at St Anne's Parish Church, Belfast
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks - again!

On the actual 1911 census (I have it on Ancestry but need to rejoin to get access to it!) - I think they had two girls (Eileen and Jessie) and one boy (my grandfather Victor) surviving and living in Deptford and two children deceased. 

Offline MoglieUK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 13:46 GMT (UK) »
I've found out that Harry Taylor's father, also Harry was a Chief Engineer in the Royal Navy and went through a court martial (August 1891) in Queenstown Harbour, Ireland for going AWOL for 22 hours in Sheerness (where his family lived) he was eventually discharged in 1893. 

On the marriage certificate of Harry Taylor (Jnr) and Sarah Hennessey, Harry Taylor (Chief Engineer, RN) appears as Chief Engineer, RIC... I always thought that meant he was in the Royal Irish Constabulary - but never been able to find a trace for that.  Can anyway help with pointing me in the right direction.  I did pay a researcher at Kew to find his service record, which he did... but nothing obviously after 1893 when he is discharged.  I don't even know when and where he died.

Offline MoglieUK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 13:56 GMT (UK) »
You are only allowed to post a small portion of the certificates for deciphering purposes.

Are you going by a transcription of the 1911 census record or have you seen the scanned image?
The LDS index to 1911 census gives her name as TAYLOR but I haven't seen the original.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XWR4-695

I'm going by the scanned image of the 1911 census gives her name as TAYLOR born in New Ross, Ireland.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 14:40 GMT (UK) »
I'm going by the scanned image of the 1911 census gives her name as TAYLOR born in New Ross, Ireland.

This is the bit that I don't understand-
I would love to find out more about Sarah.  The very odd thing is when she appears on the 1911 census living in London it shows her maiden name as Henderson and from New Ross, Ireland - but that doesn't make sense, her marriage certificate states its Hennessey.
and
It's odd - I wonder if she changed her maiden name on the 1911 census to Henderson (despite it clearly stating Hennessey on her wedding certificate) to avoid trouble in London.  If she lived in Cupar Street with her family, I'm assuming that was a Protestant area and wouldn't have been an problem her marrying a British soldier?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline MoglieUK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 15:55 GMT (UK) »
yes sorry - my mistake the only time I've seen Henderson is on the birth certificate for my grandfather in 1902.  It shows her as Sarah Taylor (formerly Henderson) its the only time I've seen Henderson - every other document is Hennessey.

This is definitely my grandfather - right name and DOB:-

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello Moglie,

If you save your images as .jpeg file instead of a .pdf file the member will be able to instantly see your image with having to download and then open the image ;)

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MoglieUK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sarah - bit new to all this ;D