Author Topic: Uninstalling VIPRE Internet Security  (Read 939 times)

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
Uninstalling VIPRE Internet Security
« on: Tuesday 14 March 17 15:15 GMT (UK) »
I've been using VIPRE for a while now - no problems there.

However, my subscription expired on 13 March and I want to replace it with the protection that is built in to Windows 10.  Problem - VIPRE has apparently been uninstalled (by OH who is much better at that sort of thing), but whenever we try to switch on the W10 thingy it tells us that 'another' program is already there.  This have never happened before when other programs have been uninstalled.  Strangely, VIPRE doesn't include an 'uninstall' facility.

OH is spending yet another jolly evening trying to dig out the remnants of VIPRE.  I am borrowing his laptop because mine is now unprotected.  Fantastic ::)

Has anyone else come across this, and if so, is there a solution please?

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re: Uninstalling VIPRE Internet Security
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Carol,

This is just an idea in the absence of anything better. It's probably something stuck in the registry but it can be a bit hairy editing that. So let's leave that option for the time being.

Possibly an easy way is to install another antivirus program, hoping it does its own (better) clean-up of the remnants of Vipre. Then once it's installed, reboot, then uninstall that one too.

(Perhaps try avg.com or avast.com as a starting point)

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Ironically though you could do with an antivirus program to check that a downloaded program to uninstall an antivirus program is alright to install or not :)
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Ironically though you could do with an antivirus program to check that a downloaded program to uninstall an antivirus program is alright to install or not :)

Excellent point Trystan ;D

OH is working in a quiet space to aid his concentration, so by the time I showed him your first reply he'd already started running Avast - great minds and all that 8)
Just in case he needs to look at registry, what's the best route in?  Apparently he's found a few different ways previously.

Thanks for your suggestion Brian.  Unfortunately that one leads us back to Vipre where they give three A4 sheets-worth of technical information and suggest that only techies can understand it - which is why I'm here :D

I'll keep you posted.

Carol

OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Carol,

I've always just used the built in one, "Regedit" that comes with Windows. There are ones that make the thing easier that claim to clean up the registry, but I've not got experience with those.

The trick with these things is to find what part of the registry a particular program has changed, or what part a new program is looking for.

Sorry - not much help on that one.  :P

I understand your other half going to a quiet space to do it - completely with him on that. He'll be needing a cup of tea in a bit, I'm sure :)

Trystan

Offline Dyingout

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father Charles in his hockey playing days
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Always search for the uninstaller for security software
if none found try a free program called Revo Uninstaller
And use the advanced option, usually gets rid of it and all of the leftover files too.
Dow/Dowe Norfolk and Suffolk
Mulley/Wilden Suffolk
Loome/lombe Norfolk

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 17:53 GMT (UK) »
As an unistall has been attempted your OH may now need to work through a manual uninstall to remove legacy files.

A useful list of instructions is at
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jp0/

I would suggest your OH print out the instructions and work through the files noting (highlighting)  which are still installed before removing any.
Once a list of legacy files has been established manually work through the list deleting as required.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the ideas!  Having duly partaken of tea and toast, we're now off for a sleep as it's after 2am here.

Will resume tomorrow.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE