Author Topic: Chile - any advice on censuses and ancestry investigation  (Read 4886 times)

Offline Barry Emmott

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Chile - any advice on censuses and ancestry investigation
« Reply #9 on: Monday 21 August 17 08:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Titocanete, I'm grateful for your response. Being retired I find I seem to have less time to follow anything complicated than when I was at work !! I have been fortunate in finding a Chilean descendant of my "Patagonian" Emmotts but unfortunately she doesn't have the same interest in genealogy as I do. However, we have that line sorted out and I need now to try to link "her" Emmotts (from the 19th century) in Bingley, Yorkshire with "my" Emmotts in nearby Wilsden and Cowling. If you'd like to tell me what you want investigated in Islington I'd be glad to help but we're just getting ready for some trips abroad, including Chile, so let me know asap. Cheerz, Baz
Emmott - Yorkshire, Hampshire and London
Alford - London
Muirhead
Longes

Offline Barry Emmott

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 21 August 17 16:24 BST (UK) »
The person whose ancestry I'd like to trace is Hilda Haydée Varas Mellings, born Antofagasta, Chile on 28 Feb 1927. My enquiries in Chile indicate that there were quite a lot of Mellings in Antofagasta and Hilda says that one of her forbears came from Liverpool.
Looking forward to/hoping for some info. Baz.
Alford - London
Muirhead
Longes

Offline titocanete

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 21:39 BST (UK) »
The person whose ancestry I'd like to trace is Hilda Haydée Varas Mellings, born Antofagasta, Chile on 28 Feb 1927. My enquiries in Chile indicate that there were quite a lot of Mellings in Antofagasta and Hilda says that one of her forbears came from Liverpool.

Thanks Barry. Whatever I find, I'll post it here

Hilda born 28 feb 1927, Antofagasta, to Eduardo Varas Varas and Luisa Hayde Mellings Olivares (RC Antofagasta, Nacimientos, 1927, 540)

Eduardo and Luisa married in Antofagasta that same year. (RC Antofagasta, Matrimonios, 1927, 497). The marriage register includes: names of their parents, birth places, and other relevant info. You may consider getting a copy if you are coming to Chile! :)

Offline titocanete

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 22:07 BST (UK) »

Thanks Barry. Whatever I find, I'll post it here

Hilda born 28 feb 1927, Antofagasta, to Eduardo Varas Varas and Luisa Hayde Mellings Olivares (RC Antofagasta, Nacimientos, 1927, 540)

Eduardo and Luisa married in Antofagasta that same year. (RC Antofagasta, Matrimonios, 1927, 497). The marriage register includes: names of their parents, birth places, and other relevant info. You may consider getting a copy if you are coming to Chile! :)

ADDED: Luisa's parents may be Alejandro Mellings Suárez and María Luisa Olivares Hernández. The National Archive of Chile possesses the archives of the Conservador de Bienes Raíces of Antofagasta, and there I found a "posesión efectiva" (where someone's descendants legally obtain their properties, etc. after their death). Raquel Esther Mellings Olivares, apparently the sister of Luisa Hayde, is the person who requested the inscription.

Alejandro Mellings died 6 October 1963, while María Luisa Olivares died 14 December 1965. Their death registers are: RC Antofagasta, Defunciones, nos. 595 and 1093, years 1963 and 1965 respectively.

Mellings' and Olivares' children were: Luisa Evarista, Blanca Estela, Manuel Alejandro, Raquel Esther, Ruth Neferia (?), Jorge Walterio, all residents at Catorce de Febrero 235 in 1965.

Jorge Walterio died 30 oct 1963, married FLor Irene (or Irma) Salas Reyes, had three children:

Offline titocanete

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 22:28 BST (UK) »
Ruth Hesperia Mellings Olivares, aunt of Hilda Haydée, was born 21 sep 1920, and her birth was registered in the circunscription of Catalina (near Antofagasta) in 1964. The late registration may signify some trouble finding info... (accuracy, in example)

Also, there is a 1896 marriage in Antofagasta (24 jul 1896) of Pedro Merling Viltarre, 27 years old, son of Santiago Merling and Dominga Viltarre, who identifies as a Chilean (then, in the birth registry of a son, as an Englishman), a train driver, and Emilia Alfaro Bernal, 29 years old, dedicated to domestic labours, daughter of José Mercedes Alfaro and Carmen Bernal. He signs as Merling (may be a mispelling?)

I found Luisa Evarista Mellings Olivares's birth in Catalina, 1908 (RC Catalina, Nacimientos, 436, 1908).

Just a historical note: the Catalina circunscription, once named Refresco, was later renamed Salitrera Alemania, until it was supressed and annexed to the Taltal circunscription in 1977.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 24 August 17 21:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Tito

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

Thank you for posting and helping Barry but we have a 'no living people' policy here.

Your replies contain the names of people who may still be alive.

You have enough posts now to exchange this type of information of the personal message system

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

The names of people who may still be alive will be removed.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 24 August 17 21:40 BST (UK) »
Tito

You may want to post your request for 'Islington' help on this board

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/london-middlesex-lookup-requests/
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline titocanete

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 24 August 17 21:47 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks for your warm welcome! :D

I have to note, however, that everyone I mentioned -except the person Barry indicated- have died, as their names are not included in the electoral registers (everyone living in Chile is automatically registered when turning 18).

Thanks again!!

Offline Barry Emmott

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 25 August 17 09:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Titocanete, thanks for this huge amount of information !! It would be fascinating to get hold of a copy of Eduardo and Luisa's document but I fear not likely to be able to happen. There is a "situation" in the family which precludes that likelihood !! However, I was very interested in the reference to the Salitrera Alemania as we have visited the cemetary there. A rather sad place which lies open to the feet of tourists but at least it gives me some idea of the location. I would still be very happy to investigate Islington, even including the living !!
Regards and thanks,  Barry
Alford - London
Muirhead
Longes