Author Topic: Matthew Green born Glusburn Yorks, about 1810 - 1812?  (Read 801 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Matthew Green born Glusburn Yorks, about 1810 - 1812?
« on: Tuesday 14 March 17 17:24 GMT (UK) »
There's a chap who appears, living with a female I've been following through the censuses, he's a Matthew Green, who consistently in the1851, 1861 and 1871 censuses gives his place of origin as Glusburn, Yorks - between Colne (Lancs) and Keighley (West Yorks), and his birthdate appears as 1810 and 1811. (Ages 41 /40 /60). Fairly consistent in that.
I suspect he may have been married before his first appearance in Burnley area in 1851 ( and probably continued to be married even if not together with his wife - divorce was expensive and difficult in those days). I'm pretty sure he died in 1877 in Burnley Lancs, area, where he'd lived for those years - but I can't seem to find him in 1841, or in any Glusburn records I've been able to access via "Ancestry" - which is also playing up at present, making it a bit more difficult.
He was a weaver in all censuses I've "got" him for.
I suspect non-conformist origin, but I can't expect to find his parentage or early years. I'd like to see him in 1841, though, please, if anyone can help?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Matthew Green born Glusburn Yorks, about 1810 - 1812?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 20:30 GMT (UK) »
1851 census he was in Burnley with a lodger Mary Leaver and her daughter. Is that him?
Mary was still his lodger in 1861 & 71. He was an ag. lab. in '61 and lab. in '71.
The Genealogist has his p.o.b. as Gisburn for 1841 but Glusborn for other years. It was Glusborn on original.

1841 Lancs. census. A possible was in Great Marsden (Blackburn, Burnley, Clitheroe & Haslinden), age 35, b. in county.
There were 5 others:
Manchester, (24), b. in county, joiner.
Manchester, (28), b. Ireland, printer.
Salford, (35), b. in county, cotton dyer.
Westhoughton, Bolton, (25), b. in county, silk weaver.
Worsley, Barton-Upon-Irwell, (25), b. in county, lab.

1841 census Yorkshire:
2 Sheffield, (25), joiner & (30), edge tool maker.
Whitby, (40), occ. blank or faded.
Pocklington, E. Riding, (39), tailor.
Cowban

Offline johndwadsworth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 07:42 GMT (UK) »
See HO 107 1317 6 26 10 aged 20 - 24 1841 Weaving family in Glusburn.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Wedding Kildwick 6 Jan 1845
Mathew Green full bach weaver Glusburn  Thomas weaver
Hannah Bins full spins Glusburn Thomas weaver

wit Jeremiah Green and Ann D?dan

Banns also published at Kildale.

The Green family seem to be 'baptising' their children at the chapel in Kildwick Sutton Chapel Baptist which is on Ancestry.Mathew born Dec 1819.

Ciderdrinker

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 16:00 GMT (UK) »
See HO 107 1317 6 26 10 aged 20 - 24 1841 Weaving family in Glusburn.
What was the name of the youngest child of the family? I can't decipher it. TG transcription has omitted it. (Edit. Smith?)

So it seems Matt was younger than he thought he was?

Edit. Matthew Green & wife Hannah were still there with their children in 1851 & '61.
Cowban

Offline johndwadsworth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Youngest is Smith

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Maiden Stone, and Johnwadsworth. As I said, I have him safe with Mary Leaver in '51, '61, and '71. I'm really wondering about him in '41.
It was "Glusburn", I've found the place, and I admit at first I'd thought it a misreading of "Gisburn", but it does exist, and is as I said, between Colne and Keighley. He is firm that he was born there and that it was Yorkshire.
I'd found the Matthew and Hannah marriage, censuses for '51 and later, already, and eliminated him, as that'd put him in two different places in 1851, and later, and so I don't think it can be him, Ciderdrinker. Thank you for your efforts, though.
As I haven't found him with anyone else bar Mary and this "Mary Ann Leaver" (who may or may not have been their child?) I've no idea about any other children, or of course, his parentage.
I'd found a couple of weaving families in 1840s and 1850s in Glusburn, but not been able to link him to any of them - yet!
If he was married, there's no way of knowing really, as far as I can see - he states he is, in 1851, seems to have decided he's single in 1861, and reverts to the married state for 1871.
I've trawled all over "Ancestry", and Kildwick parish too, etc, trying to find any links without success.

Thank you all, it seems he will remain a mystery - but it's very re-assuring when others tread the same paths as you've done, and can't find him, either! At least I know then that I'm not just having a dumb day!

Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)