Author Topic: Baptisms not found.  (Read 1039 times)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Baptisms not found.
« on: Tuesday 14 March 17 18:51 GMT (UK) »
1841 Loanhead , Lasswade.  all born Midlothian, no relationship given.
Denholm   William   M   50   Ag Lab   
Denholm   Charlotte   F   56         
Denholm   William   M   25   Mason           
Denholm   Spence   M   21     
Denholm   Charlotte   F   14
Denholm   Margaret   F   12 

Can anyone find baptisms of William 25, Spence 21, Margaret 12.

The other are children of William Denholm and Charlotte Hook all Lasswade.  (SP and family search)
John Denholm 1811 
Ann Denholm  1813
Bridget Denholm  1823
Charlotte Denholme  1825

Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Baptisms not found.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 13:26 BST (UK) »
sounds like they are non-conformist - you'll have to search the church records

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 16:44 BST (UK) »
1841 Loanhead , Lasswade.  all born Midlothian, no relationship given.
Relationships were not recorded at all in 1841.

I am assuming that you have drawn a blank in all three sets of church registers on SP. If so, then you may have to face the possibility that the baptism records have not survived.

There are still some registers of dissenting churches, mostly in the National Records of Scotland, that for one reason or another cannot be made available online (usually because it has not been possible to get permission from the churches, who still own them). Note that there is no point thinking about Free Church registers because the Free Church only came into existence in 1843.

Then there are registers of the Episcopal Church, which have never been collected centrally. Some are still in the churches, some in diocesan archives, and some in other archives.

There is an outside chance that the odd register might turn up somewhere, but this isn't something you can rely on.

BTW the household in 1851 consists of Charlotte Denholm, 67, widow; daughter Charlotte Denholm, 23; daughter Margaret Denholm, 20; son-in-law William Duncan, 34; daughter Catherine Duncan, 34; grandchildren Jane Burns Duncan, 5; Margaret Duncan, 3; and William Duncan, 1 months. The three Denholms were all born in Loanhead, William Sr in Drum, Aberdeenshire, Catherine in Dalkeith and the two granddaughters in Corstorphine. Loanhead is in the parish of Lasswade. You can view the transcription for yourself at https://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl, and the original document on Scotland's People.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 16:51 BST (UK) »
I had some problems finding some - adult baptisms in the case of Baptists, and Quakers often recorded births, but not all records survive... and I found some who later research proved they simply had not had any children baptised beyond the firstborn!
Some records simply are not there to be found.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 16:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks.
I have given up on this family and trying to work out the relationship between Charlotte Denholm, Catherine Duncan, and Jane Burns Duncan,
I have got the original image of the 1851 census  and it is correct. It just doesn`t add up.
 I can only presume that Charlotte was having a "senior" moment when the form was filled in .
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 17:22 BST (UK) »
I have given up on this family and trying to work out the relationship between Charlotte Denholm, Catherine Duncan, and Jane Burns Duncan,
I have got the original image of the 1851 census  and it is correct. It just doesn`t add up.
 I can only presume that Charlotte was having a "senior" moment when the form was filled in .
In what way does it not add up?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 17:53 BST (UK) »
Duncan could be they middle name - think Charlotte's maiden name Hook, but Duncan could be family name like a maiden of female grandparent, etc