Author Topic: Gobsmacked  (Read 3035 times)

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gobsmacked
« Reply #27 on: Friday 17 March 17 12:10 GMT (UK) »
The Find a Grave website has my ancestor George Stanley as being buried inside Lichfield Cathedral in 1509.  This I could not believe so wanting more evidence than the original submission in the first place I contacted the Cathedral archivist as well as journeying to Lichfield myself.  It turns out that the Stanley buried there is in actual fact Sir John Stanley and the Cathedral archive have no record of a George Stanley although George was related to the above John.  I have found this error repeated elsewhere.

I can't understand how someone could make such a mistake especially when the Stanley monument clearly indicates which Stanley is buried there.

I thought about contacting the above site to get the submission corrected but then decided it would be a complete waste of time.

Jay

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 17 March 17 12:16 GMT (UK) »
From my experience if there's a family connection to a burial place then Find a Grave submitters will assume a person is buried there. My lot are all supposed to be in one cemetery even the people who emigrated to Australia!

Blue

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 17 March 17 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Interesting reading about Findagrave and others experiences.

I saw an entry and the person who submitted it had also linked it to another as their spouse which I knew was wrong ( it was their child) so sent in a request to correct it, the person who had submitted it didn't change it.

Sometime later I received an email message from a very old post on one of the original forums and as they are so big it can take years for anyone to answer, they came across as they were looking for their own family and wanted me to send my tree ( not happening) Something clicked in my head as I knew the name from somewhere and eventually I traced it back to findagrave, this person had input hundreds on there from all over the world and had added "personal leave flowers and notes" to many.
So I responded with the findagrave message of 'not spouse but child' which needed changing as it gave spurious information to others which could be changed easily to stop that.

So "reets3"  I agree, some strange people out there

while others seem ghoulishly interested in collecting as many souls as they can.  Why someone would want to retain ownership of a memorial when they have no familial connection to the memorial is beyond my understanding.
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend