Author Topic: Gobsmacked  (Read 3031 times)

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
Re: Gobsmacked
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 11:25 GMT (UK) »
A long story, shortened.

An ex-colleague of mine (who I knew had been adopted) lived in my village. He mentioned to me that I should come and see 'his tree'. He lives in an early Victorian town house. His adoptive parents are dead.

I turn up and expect something on paper or on computer. But no. One whole wall of the study is a beautifully painted fresco. There is a miniature painting of every member of his family going back generations. He started to tell me the story of his family - practically every one of them was a 'somebody', or was responsible for doing 'something of note'. I was impressed.

I asked some questions and it transpired that he had found interesting people and included them. From what I could ascertain, hardly anybody (if any at all) on that beautifully painted wall was related to him.

He knew that his birth parents had to have been white Europeans but other than that, he had no idea. So he invented a family to be proud of and had the wall painted.

He had only included his adoptive parents, because there were living people in the village who had known them.

Any time I feel tempted to cut corners, I think of him.

Regards

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 12:09 GMT (UK) »
many people now copy and paste anything they find online and think they are researching

They may not actually be doing this.

As I have related before, I once tried to build an online tree; but quickly found that the way the software expected me to work was very different from the way in which I wanted to work. I couldn't make the software conform to my ideas, and as I don't believe in allowing tails to wag dogs, I therefore abandoned the project.

HOWEVER, when I was still trying to record my tree online, the computer would periodically show me a part of somebody else's tree and ask "is this a match?" or some such. If I looked and thought that that person had identified the same ancestor as me and appeared to have the same family surrounding them, I would say "yes".

I had and have no idea what the software actually did when I confirmed the match; but from time to time even now, many years later, I get automated e-mails telling me that new material has been added to my tree. Well, I'm not adding anything! So I can only assume that when somebody whose tree I confirmed as a "match" adds something, the software automatically assumes that I want it added to my tree and does so.

Are all of these people good researchers? I doubt it.

Will it look to anyone chancing upon it as though the compiler of "my tree" is just "copying and pasting anything they find online and thinking they are researching"? Probably.

Is that which is ACTUALLY happening? Certainly not!
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 12:22 GMT (UK) »
A long story, shortened.

And a very good one. Thanks for sharing.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 12:27 GMT (UK) »
I had and have no idea what the software actually did when I confirmed the match; but from time to time even now, many years later, I get automated e-mails telling me that new material has been added to my tree. Well, I'm not adding anything! So I can only assume that when somebody whose tree I confirmed as a "match" adds something, the software automatically assumes that I want it added to my tree and does so.

Are all of these people good researchers? I doubt it.

Will it look to anyone chancing upon it as though the compiler of "my tree" is just "copying and pasting anything they find online and thinking they are researching"? Probably.

Is that which is ACTUALLY happening? Certainly not!

An interesting question. I am currently trying to redo my tree on a well known site. It makes suggestions of matches and if I check them out and agree then I confirm them as correct. However, I had never thought that in the background they might in future surreptitiously add further matches because I had previously agreed to one of their matches. I would be totally against this and it would make all online trees an equivalent of the familysearch one world tree where I believe anyone can add or amend entries made by anyone else with predictable results
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 13:58 GMT (UK) »
On Ancestry you can set your tree to 'private' and you can exclude other people's trees from your search results. This at least stops you adding other people's errors by accident.  I've never had the experience of them adding anything without me knowing about it.

It still gives me some really terrible hints and it's easy to make a mistake if you are not super careful, I've been taken in by them in the past.

Sometimes it's very persistent in insisting that a person is a different person altogether, with the same name just in a different location. Even if you've confirmed all the major details, birth baptism etc, it will still show you hints for others with the same or similar name.

;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 14:42 GMT (UK) »
I think my point was in writing 'copying and pasting', regardless of if a person is doing it  or computer software is doing it for them, really is irrelevant. It is not researching and proving.

Copying, collecting information or clicking a key is adding it blindly to a tree and regardless of how many times you see the same information doesn't mean it is real and only researching records to prove any information yourself so you prove and cite each person.

The internet is a wonderful 'tool' but no computer 'researches' the software just matches a criteria put into it so only the individual can research, prove and cite. As a tool only, no one would use one tool to eg build a house, you wouldn't get very far only using a screw driver.
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 14:54 GMT (UK) »
For those of us who are non-English speaking Gobsmacked is ................

so surprised that you cannot speak

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 14:57 GMT (UK) »
How refreshing Iluleah, to read that last paragraph and find someone saying the same as I am always saying, but I usually feel like a lone voice!
i.e - the internet is a "tool", yes a very useful one. It is to be used alongside other tools.

Unfortunately the world sees it more and more as it Master, not as a tool.

"The internet says ....., so it must be right" ,  or "I cant do xx because the computer wont let me", sort of things. Rather than I will research xxx and will use the internet as one of many tools to do so, or I can do xxxx and I will use the computer where appropriate to help.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 15:11 GMT (UK) »
The internet is a wonderful 'tool' but no computer 'researches' the software just matches a criteria put into it so only the individual can research, prove and cite. As a tool only, no one would use one tool to eg build a house, you wouldn't get very far only using a screw driver.

Iluleah,

That's a great way of explaining & very true  ;D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"