Author Topic: Royal Artillery Museum update mid March 2017  (Read 3386 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Royal Artillery Museum update mid March 2017
« on: Wednesday 15 March 17 09:44 GMT (UK) »
The following update regarding the Royal Artillery Museum as at mid March 2017 may be of use.  Most will be aware that Firepower, the Museum of the Royal Artillery at Woolwich, closed in December 2016.  The collections are in storage pending the development of a new Royal Artillery Museum.  The museum will be housed in a new Salisbury Plain Heritage Centre to be built at Larkhill which will engage with the military history, natural heritage and archaeological features of Salisbury Plain.  Application has been made for funding to the Heritage Lottery Fund and concept designs have been produced.

Some 10% of the RA Museum’s Library and Archive has been settled in temporary accommodation at Larkhill and a full time archivist has been at work since November last year.  Updates to the web site http://www.salisburyplainheritagecentre.com/ detailing the limited access and research possibilities are imminent.  However, the archivist Sian Mogridge is happy to take initial enquiries at sm@salisburyplainheritagecentre.com

In common with the majority of regimental museums, the RA Museum does not hold service records for individuals.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline RRTB

• RootsChat Senior
  • Berkshire Yeomanry - my father's WW2 regiment.
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Artillery Museum update mid March 2017
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 00:19 BST (UK) »
I know I'm a year late to the party here but I've only just found your post, Max, and I'm delighted to know there's now a new set-up for the Firepower Museum. My father was with the Royal Artillery so this is very good news for me.

RRTB

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Artillery Museum update mid March 2017
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 10:05 BST (UK) »
I know I'm a year late to the party

You haven't missed much!  A year on, the equipments are all still in storage awaiting a building, projected for 2020.  A greater percentage of the archives is now at Larkhill and a small team of volunteers are on hand to help the archivist with written queries.  Visits to do personal research can be arranged.  Start point is to download an enquiry form from the web site.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia