Author Topic: "Dark Rosaleen"  (Read 4155 times)

Offline gedb2b

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"Dark Rosaleen"
« on: Wednesday 15 March 17 11:39 GMT (UK) »
During some recent searches in Ireland I came across an extremely detailed obituary for Honoria Morahan who was born in Co Mayo around 1866 and died in Castlebar March 1930 but one part of it has me rather confused. It states that “Deceased had come of a family stock whose name figured prominently for generations in the struggles of our beloved country. She was acquainted with sacrifice in her young days and did not afterwards shrink when as a wife and mother, she was called upon to endure further suffering and persecution for “Dark Rosaleen””
Assuming this is referring to the poem “Dark Rosaleen” I am struggling to understand how a young woman from Co Mayo is suffering persecution for a poem, albeit a very controversial poem, that was written over twenty years before she was born. I have read the translation many times and also read of the theories and explanations that go with it, but cannot see a link, I assume there must be something, possibly family or something similar, but at the moment the reason is bypassing me and I am hoping that someone may be able to point out what I am missing.
GedB

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "Dark Rosaleen"
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 12:19 GMT (UK) »
I read it as,
Dark Rosaleen is Ireland, she suffered for Ireland. It's right there in the obit
“Deceased had come of a family stock whose name figured prominently for generations in the struggles of our beloved country."
Her father, brothers, sons and probably some of the women as well were involved in the struggle for Ireland's freedom.

Have you looked to see if any of her sons or daughters were involved in the War of Independence or the Civil War. Were any of the earlier generations deported or imprisoned.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 13:24 GMT (UK) »
I'd agree with Sinann

Also to add the original poem by Hugh the Red O'Donnell (1572-1602) dates from far earlier than you think  ;)
It was translated not long before she was born by James Clarence Mangan (1803-1849)
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline gedb2b

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both, I think that I was looking for something deeper and as I said the obvious was going straight past me. I haven't searched the family to far as yet because a first view gives me many people called Michael, the fathers of both Honoria and her husband were named Michael Morahan so it is deep breath time before going to deep
Thank you - GedB

Offline familyroutes

• RootsChat Senior
  • The O'Kane Family Garvagh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 March 17 10:55 GMT (UK) »
O'Kane, O'Mullan: Garvagh Derry
Bowe: Currabaha ,Waterford
McManus: Aghagallon ,Antrim
McGowan: Drumshambo, Leitrim

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 March 17 12:35 GMT (UK) »
There's a record of a John Morahan here
 http://census.militaryarchives.ie/results.php?firstname=john&lastname=morahan&age=&location=&button=Submit
He has the same address as the marriage so probably related
The marriage
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1888/10760/5924268b.pdf
On Honoria's death cert her daughter is Bridget
There is a Rose Annie born to to a possible couple in Dec 1901 address is Castle Street so this is them in 1901 before her birth. Name spelt with a g in both cases.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Mayo/Castlebar_Urban/Castle_Street/1584157/
You may know if this is the correct family or not.

The big problem with this family will be separating out the two fathers, both Michael, same occupation, same address.

Offline familyroutes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 March 17 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Patrick and Honoria in 1911 census:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Mayo/Castlebar_Urban/Gurteendrunagh__Spencer_Street_/716743/
  It includes Rose Clarke,a niece.

In the 1901 census there is a Morahan family living with Clarke in-laws
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Mayo/Cloonkeen/Cloondeash/1584810/

Is this the same extended family...with mother-in-law Celia.

So are Laurence and Rose Morahan Clarke  siblings of Patrick?

Offline familyroutes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 March 17 12:48 GMT (UK) »
There is a record of
Catherine Morahan of Mount Deasy DOB 27-Jun-1866
Father  Michael Morahan   Mother Celia Walsh

and 
Rose Moraghan   DOB 18-Jul-1871
Cloondeash   Co. Mayo
Father Michael Moraghan   Mother Celia Walsh

Offline gedb2b

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 March 17 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you familyroutes John is pretty surely a member of the family as Mount Daisy is the main homestead for them but where he fits in is still to be sorted, plus if you look at the birth record for Laurence his mother is shown as Allice Walsh but on all other records she is Cecilia or Celia, a real mixture
Sinann you have hit the nail right on the head with the two Michaels, the only possible saving grave is that there seems to be a few years separating their ages, to complicate matters further though I have several records from the Castlebar area where a Morahan (of various spellings) has married a Morahan (of various spellings), there is also at least one more Michael about and we even have different spellings for the same person on the one marriage certificate, so whichever way we turn this is going to be challenging, interesting but challenging.