Author Topic: Birth Jessie Hardy 1867 Berwickshire  (Read 1379 times)

Offline East View

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth Jessie Hardy 1867 Berwickshire
« on: Wednesday 15 March 17 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Can anybody help me please?
I am trying to find the birth record of Jessie Hardy in 1867. Her father was George Hardy and her mother was Janet (born 1837 in Berwick).
Additionally, any advice on how to trace this family would be much appreciated as they are proving to be difficult to find.
Peter

Offline Jessie 46

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Jessie Hardy 1867 Berwickshire
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 12:18 GMT (UK) »

Hi,
     Do you know Janet's maiden name by any chance ?

I wonder if this is your Jessie ? Janet  Fortune Hardie born 13 July 1868 Coldingham Berwick  daughter of  George Hardie and Janet Darrie  they were married in 1861 in Coldingham.

If this is your Jessie which is another name for Janet she married  Thomas Edington in 1887 at St. Andrews Edinburgh and died in 1957 in Coldingham .

To get the the full details of her marriage or death you will have to go to SP site which is a pay as you view site get 30 credits which will cost you £7:00  you can download and view the certs. at a cost of  6 credits  each.

jessie

Offline East View

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jessie,
thank you for your reply.
I'm afraid I don't know Janet's maiden name.
The Jessie you have suggested unfortunately can not be the correct one.
The Jessie I am looking for married Arthur Cockcroft, in Yorkshire, in 1890. She then appears on the 1891 England census, where she says she was born in Scotland. Her mother Janet Hardy remarried (at some point) to become Janet Taylor and they are all living together in Todmorden Yorkshire on the England 1901 census. On this 1901 census Janet Taylor says she was born in Berwick upon Tweed. I am assuming she meant Berwickshire because I found no trace in Berwick upon Tweed.
All this is complicated, I know, which is why I am frustrated.
Peter

Offline Jessie 46

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 13:50 GMT (UK) »

Hi Peter,
              Can I make a suggestion when you are looking for help post all the information you have it saves people going down the wrong road just as I have done.

Jessie

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 March 17 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter,

Moving forward to the 1911 census brings up Arthur Cockcroft born 1862 Yorkshire and his spouse, Jessie born 1868 in Lancaster, they are living in Yorkshire.

It would be useful to trace Jessie and her parents in 1881, 1871, 1861 etc.  This might bring up Jessie’s siblings, if any, giving you a better chance of identifying her mother's .maiden name

brigau

Offline East View

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 March 17 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brigau,
Thank you for your thoughts.
I have a copy of the 1911 census and it says Jessie was born in 'Lancs Salford'  rather than Lancaster.
This is at variance with the 1891 census where she says she was born in Scotland. I have so far found no record of her birth anywhere. I have been unable to find census records for George Hardy, Janet Hardy or Jessie Hardy in 1881, 1871 or 1861 in either Scotland or England. They are a real mystery. Once again thank you for you input.
Peter