Author Topic: Place name in West London  (Read 2125 times)

Offline stitchwitch

• RootsChat Member
  • Creature of impulse with dodgy improbability drive
    • View Profile
Re: Place name in West London
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Could be Nr London

That's what FindMyPast have it transcribed as, conveniently missing out the word in question, but when you examine the actual image it's pretty clearly a "W".
Powell Barber Dyke Overton
Heywood Crimes Parsonage Hargrave Sheard Wild

Madness is hereditary, you get it from your children!

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 16:34 GMT (UK) »
There are a few Harriets married to William Bowden but the most likely seems to have been a Harriet Tidboald, then again her birth place varies, but always around Devon, including Tiverton.  I wonder if she said Tiverton with a Devon accent, crossed with a Manchester accent (she was after all living in Openshaw which is on the outskirts of Manchester) and she said Tiverton and she was misheard and the enumerator thought she'd said Teddington?

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 16:36 GMT (UK) »
By the way, her Sturgess husband's birth place should be Doveridge, Derbyshire.

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Think you have hit the nail on the head Lizzie regarding the consequence of an accent when relaying info for Census returns  >:(

Offline George.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello lizzie,

I have George's birthplace as Doveridge, thank you, and the more that I look and think about where Harriet was actually from the more convinced I am that I will never know.

I would image that dialects were probably stronger and less well understood in those days so you may well be correct.

Offline Lostris

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • diebus numerati sunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 16:48 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if she said Tiverton with a Devon accent, crossed with a Manchester accent (she was after all living in Openshaw which is on the outskirts of Manchester) and she said Tiverton and she was misheard and the enumerator thought she'd said Teddington?

The Enumerator will have copied what he read from the Household Return ; yes, they sometimes helped with filling the Form, but not as frequently as thought ... sadly the Returns were only saved for the 1911 census

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 16:53 GMT (UK) »
George are you sure Harriet's maiden name was Rowden? I have looked up their son John born 1846 and there are two John Sturgess born Manchester 1845 (none in 1846) one mother was Bowden the other Horrand. A Harriet Bowden married George Sturgess 22/4/1834 Manchester.

Daniel Sturgess mmn Boden reg Chorlton district Q3 1839 vol 20 p 197
James Sturges mmn Howard  reg Chorlton district Q2 1842 vol 20 p218

I can only find one entry for John 1845 with mmn Horrard (poss a misreading / mistranscription of Howard?

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 23:19 GMT (UK) »
I looked at this when it was first posted (prior to knowing details of the people it relates to ) and could not work out the place name. I still have no idea. However reading this:

Could be Nr London

That's what FindMyPast have it transcribed as, conveniently missing out the word in question, but when you examine the actual image it's pretty clearly a "W".

I am not so sure it is a W ..... there is an odd squiggle at the end of the tail of the W which you wouldn't expect to be there when someone was hurriedly form fillling. It also may be logical to give a place name Nr London, rather than in West London, especially if people in other counties may not have heard of it, otherwise why not just write 'London', or 'place name' Middlesex?  :-\

Has anyone checked other capital Ws on the page to compare?

Offline stitchwitch

• RootsChat Member
  • Creature of impulse with dodgy improbability drive
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 16 March 17 17:18 GMT (UK) »
I looked at this when it was first posted (prior to knowing details of the people it relates to ) and could not work out the place name. I still have no idea. However reading this:

Could be Nr London

I am not so sure it is a W ..... there is an odd squiggle at the end of the tail of the W which you wouldn't expect to be there when someone was hurriedly form fillling. It also may be logical to give a place name Nr London, rather than in West London, especially if people in other counties may not have heard of it, otherwise why not just write 'London', or 'place name' Middlesex?  :-\

Has anyone checked other capital Ws on the page to compare?

Yep. that's why I'm leaning towards a W.

Stitch
Powell Barber Dyke Overton
Heywood Crimes Parsonage Hargrave Sheard Wild

Madness is hereditary, you get it from your children!