Author Topic: Finding an ancestor listed on Census 1901 and 1911 born in different locstions  (Read 2382 times)

Offline muriellecampbell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Finding an ancestor listed on Census 1901 and 1911 born in different locstions
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 19 March 17 00:45 GMT (UK) »
Are you certain you have the correct John Lonsdale?  The name John Lonsdale is very common and provides many records through to quite recently (1950's), so you need to be very sure of your dates and place of birth in order to narrow the search down.  It would also help if you can connect them without doubt to relatives you know for a fact are your ancestors.  If your family has said he was born in Manchester, and this is a fact they are certain of, then that is the John Lonsdale you should be following.  If you find John Lonsdales with conflicting birth dates/birth places, then they are likely not the person you are looking for.  You have to careful not to merge different families into one tree.  But if your family is guessing at his birthplace and date then without verifiable corroborating evidence your search will lead you down many paths, many will be wrong. 

Within the time frame you mentioned, I have found 3 census records in 1911, showing 3 different John Lonsdales, 3 different birth dates/birthplaces/residence, but all having a wife named Catherine.  Quite a coincidence to be sure.  One of them is born in Ireland c. 1852, the other two are in England. One of those is Manchester, Lancashire, born c. 1858, the other born c. 1877 in Liverpool.  You would have to look at the census records and see whether the names of any children are your relatives.  There was also a strong tradition of naming children after themselves or their parents and siblings, so again it can muddy the waters. 

Looking further into their marriage records, the Catherines all have a different maiden name.

Confusing as all heck, isn't it?   ::)  Start with what you know and work back from there.  Pay close attention to dates and places so you don't find yourself running down the wrong path. Good luck!

Catherine Matchet/Matchett is definitely the right spouse for John Lonsdale.  From the Census 1901 and 1911 John Lonsdale was born in ca 1851.  He was about 13-15 years older than Catherine.
Murray and Campbell

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Finding an ancestor listed on Census 1901 and 1911 born in different locstions
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 19 March 17 03:29 GMT (UK) »
I too have an ancestor who was seemingly born in Ireland & Scotland on different census records.

I was also unaware of a Catholic connection having trawled scotlandspeople.gov.uk not finding him nor could I find him in Ireland.

A great RC researcher (MonicaL) found him in Catholic Records in Scotland, somewhere I hadn't given thought to as all his descendants were Protestant i.e. Church of England/Church of Ireland.

He obviously chose the religion of his 2nd wife who was my g g/mother (Great Grandmother)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 20 March 17 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Best to keep things on thread so everyone can help  ;)

Richard Matchett, wife Caroline, etc.- 1911 says married 26 years, 9 children/4 living
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Court_Ward/Sherbook_Street/947150
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Court_Ward/Sherbrook_Street/149950

Birth of son Richard (1900) gives mother as Caroline Morris but birth registered by Catherine Lonsdale, 5 Sherbrook St.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1900/01977/1761873.pdf
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!