Author Topic: Arnett of Easingwold  (Read 2287 times)

Offline belfordian

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Arnett of Easingwold
« on: Wednesday 15 March 17 16:16 GMT (UK) »
I am tracing the ancestry of George Arnett born 1802 who was a printer and stationer in Newcastle and Easingwold. Please could someone tell me the exact wording of the following entry in The Easingwold Parish Register

Sibella daur of George and Ann Arnett, printer, baptised 18 August 1833

Perhaps I have already found the exact wording but I,d like to make sure I have not missed any info. 

Also does anyone have details of a marriage between George and Ann ?

Many thanks.
GLASS (Northumberland, Fife, Roxburghshire)
DOCKWREY (South Shields)
REDPATH (Northumberland, Oklahoma)
SOUTHERN, SUTHREN, SITHERN (North Northumberland)
DARLING (Carham)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Arnett of Easingwold
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 March 17 00:43 GMT (UK) »
The Bishops Transcript has it as Isabella, but the entry in the PR is

18 Aug 1833 Sibella daur [of] George & Ann Arnett [of] Easingd , Printer
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 March 17 00:55 GMT (UK) »
I'm wondering if Ann was a mistake, as there is the baptism of a daughter, Jane Isabella, on 27 Mar 1831 to George, a stationer, & Jane, but there is some crossing out and the name Jane seems to have been amended from something else. 

There is a marriage on 16 Sep 1828 at St. Andrew, Newcastle between George Arnett of St. John, Newcastle & Jane Aveling
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 March 17 01:07 GMT (UK) »
Bishop's Transcript of the marriage, plus the Licence below:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jpc/
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jpd/

Offline middlesbrough

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 March 17 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Durham Chronicle 28 September, 1828

In Newcastle, on the 16th inst., Mr George Arnett, stationer, Collingwood St,  to Jane, only daughter of the late Mr Aveling, surgeon, R.N.

Offline belfordian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 March 17 09:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you to Jomot for observations. I think you are correct! It must be Jane and not Ann. I knew that George had married Jane Aveling and as there is an aunt to Jane called Sibella Atkinson it was interesting to see that There was a child named Sibella. I tried to find Bishops Transcripts for Yorkshire on Family Search but could not find Easingwold. Do you have a screw route or have I simply been careless?
DOCKWREY (South Shields)
DARLING (Carham)

Offline belfordian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 March 17 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Middlesborough. I know about George Arnett printer who married Jane Aveling. She is the 3xgrt grandmother of a friend who had puzzled over the middle name of Aveling in a relative,s name. No one knew where it had come from until we discovered Jane Aveling! We found lots of references to the family in newspapers. But we are still trying to find out the origins of John Arnett, tallow chandler, father of George. He came from Sowerby near Thirsk. Would like to know name of his first wife and children by her. His second wife was Isabella Simpson who was George,s mother. They are all buried in Newcastle but the gravestones seem to have disappeared although the MI transcriptions are available.
DOCKWREY (South Shields)
DARLING (Carham)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 March 17 12:15 GMT (UK) »
I tried to find Bishops Transcripts for Yorkshire on Family Search but could not find Easingwold. Do you have a screw route or have I simply been careless?

Unfortunately Yorkshire is mainly covered by subscription sites, although GenUKI & a few others have transcripts for some parishes. 

A possible for John's first wife is 11 Nov 1775 at Sowerby, John Arnott & Mary Waytin were married by Banns

Offline BobJanes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 September 17 16:17 BST (UK) »
I can add a little to this on the Aveling side though there are still gaps to fill

+ Edward Atkinson (c1750-1802) m Jane (1752-1828)* they were inn-keepers in Newcastle, and their children

++ Martha Atkinson (1780-1816) m, as his 2nd wife, Charles Tipping Aveling Surgeon RN (1771-1808) and their children:

+++ Jane Aveling (1805-?) who married George Arnett, and
+++ William Aveling (1806-?)

++ Matthew Atkinson (c1796-1837) Mariner

++ Sibella Atkinson (1786-1874) buried with Matthew above

++ Edward Atkinson

++ ___ Atkinson m John Winter and, their children

+++ Edward Winter

+++ Jane 'Jeanette' Winter (1816-1902) m 1839 Francis Rivers Freeling (1806-1865)

Bob

* Jane's will gives the names of her children Edward and Isabella and of her grand-children