Author Topic: Thomas Irwin Duncan  (Read 838 times)

Offline odessa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Thomas Irwin Duncan
« on: Wednesday 15 March 17 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Born 4 DEC 1917 to George & Mary Robson Duncan (nee Irwin). Known to have travelled extensively in South Africa from around 1970 onwards, possibly Pietermaritzburg, Jo'burg or Cape Town He may have worked in Sports Clubs. He may have divorced an Irene Jocelyn Chatfield/Tatham/Duncan c.1971 ( a 2nd marriage) but is believed to have had another partner after this date.
A daughter from his first marriage would like to confirm his date of death, which is rumoured to be 1997.
I have tried various of the recommended web-sites with no success, but admit to having no experience with S.A. research at all.
Would be happy for any suggestions of routes of inquiry we can undertake before making official application with so little evidence.

regards,
odessa.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Irwin Duncan
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 March 17 11:52 GMT (UK) »
These are the only Duncan deaths I can find which go up to 1999. Link https://www.identitynumber.org/death-notices-results.php?surname=DUNCAN
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 March 17 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Here is her correct name. Irene Joscelyne Chatfield b 02 Dec 1909 Tonbridge d Mar 1998 Surrey, married Guy St John Tatham b 11 Jan 1903, Johannesburg South Africa d 1965 Johannesburg South Africa. Remarried to Thomas Irwin Duncan divorced 1971. There should be a record of this divorce. Here is the file Durban Archives Repository , 1971. ref I1761/71. Unfortunately these are not online.
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline Scribble1952

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 March 17 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello Odessa
In some cases-British deaths in South Africa are reported
to the British Embassy in the
Place Town /City the person died.By people who have -worked or been a neighbour
Example .1990
A well loved person had turned to the streets (Ex solider) Who With his friends -they also-had also served with the South African Army on the border one was British
One was Scottish one was From South Africa all lived together on the streets
The British man was found dead on the street in Durban S.A
His famliy was able to be informed of his death because
People in the area where he
Lived informed the British
Embassy they in turn contacted his famliy who flew out to S.A .
The famliy was also alerted
Because he had a bank account in S.A Opened by his
Family.

Offline odessa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 March 17 13:59 GMT (UK) »
"These are the only Duncan deaths I can find which go up to 1999"  Pampoen, would this index represent all deaths registered throughout S.A.. I had managed to find this, but was unsure of its inclusions . .

Thanks for your note re spelling of Joscelyne which will be useful should the daughter apply for this document.

Scribble, thanks for the tip re British Embassy, I haven't seen this any where else, we'll look at avenues for contacting them.

Many thanks both, odessa.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk