Author Topic: Campbell Loudoun Marriage 1834  (Read 627 times)

Offline BoslemBoy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Campbell Loudoun Marriage 1834
« on: Wednesday 15 March 17 20:21 GMT (UK) »
I'm tracing the marriage of Robert Campbell and Barbara Loudoun who married 24th June 1834 in Glasgow.  Robert was born c1810 in Glasgow.  Barbara was baptised 24th April 1808 in Uphall, daughter of Archibald Loudoun and Marrion Thompson.....unless I'm getting confused.  There seem to have been two Robert Campbell-Barbara Loudoun marriages in 1834 in Glasgow.

My Robert Campbell was a cooper and he and Barbara moved to Liverpool in the late 1840s.  They look to have had at least two children (Jane, c1844 Glasgow, and Robert, 1849 Liverpool).  Two other children (Marion, born 25th February 1837 in Glasgow, and Robert Skinner, born 1840, Gorbals) could be the children of either 1834 couple.

Can anyone help to unravel which 1834 couple was which, and who was the parent of whom?

Thanks

BB

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Campbell Loudoun Marriage 1834
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 March 17 08:48 GMT (UK) »
There seem to have been two Robert Campbell-Barbara Loudoun marriages in 1834 in Glasgow.
There's only one coming up on Scotland's People, and only one in the IGI (community contributed) at www.FamilySearch.org. Both give the date as 24 June 1834 and the SP one gives the parish as Glasgow.

Where did you find the second one and what exactly does it say?

Usually, if you find what seems to be two marriages of people with the same name in the same year, it's because the couple lived in different parishes. What is recorded in the pre-1855 parish registers is not always the actual marriage, but the calleing of the banns. If the couple lived in different parishes, the banns had to be called in both parishes, and this led to two records being generated of the calling ('proclamation') of the banns.

The missing children Marion and Robert probably died in infancy.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline BoslemBoy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 March 17 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this - I'll re-check my notes.  What caused me to formulate the idea of two marriages was that when I tried to go back a generation or two most of the records seemed to suggest Lothian/Eastern connections.  Barbara's parents, Archibald Loudoun and Marrion Thompson, were both, apparently, from West Lothian.  I don't know how much migration took place in the early 19th century from the east coast to Glasgow as opposed to Edinburgh.  Glasgow was the industrial/commercial hub of course.

Thanks again,

BB

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 March 17 10:56 GMT (UK) »
FreeCEN 1841 Census transcription -
48 Stockwell Street Glasgow Lanarkshire
Robert Campbell 30 cooper born Outside Census County
Barbra Campbell 30 born O.C.C.
Marion Campbell 4 b. Lanarkshire
Robert Campbell 1 b. Lanarkshire
Agness Louden 25 b. O.C.C.
Fanny Louden 25 b. O.C.C.
Christina Legat 10 b. O.C.C.
Marrion Leggat 7 b. O.C.C.

Two other children (Marion, born 25th February 1837 in Glasgow, and Robert Skinner, born 1840, Gorbals) could be the children of either 1834 couple.

I would think there is only one couple.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 March 17 12:57 GMT (UK) »
FreeCEN 1841 Census transcription -
48 Stockwell Street Glasgow Lanarkshire
Robert Campbell 30 cooper born Outside Census County
Barbra Campbell 30 born O.C.C.
Marion Campbell 4 b. Lanarkshire
Robert Campbell 1 b. Lanarkshire
Agness Louden 25 b. O.C.C.
Fanny Louden 25 b. O.C.C.
Christina Legat 10 b. O.C.C.
Marrion Leggat 7 b. O.C.C.

Hmmm. Christina and Marion Leggat look like the daughters of James Leggat and Helen Loudon, apart from the fact that they were born in Glasgow: Christina on 7 September 1830 and Marion on 12 June 1833.

There was a third one, Helen, baptised 5 February 1836.

John Ness married Jean Loudon in Glasgow on 24 December 1837.

FreeCen lists at 204 Rose Street, in 1841
John Ness, 25, groom male servant
Jean Ness, 25
Helen Leggat, 5
Robert Stewart, 25 coachman male servant
all born outside census county.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline BoslemBoy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 March 17 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Dear forfarian and ev

You people are great; this is just the sort of confirmation I've been looking for.

The marriage I was wanting to eliminate was Robert Campbell (born c1810) and Barbara Wardrop (born 10th October 1809) which took place 10th May 1835.

There is one further clinching bit of information:  the 1851 English Census for Liverpool gives 'Jane London Campbell' according to the familysearch transcription.  It actually says Loudon on the document.

Now for the problem of working out just which of the many Robert Campbells I'm dealing with!

Many thanks once again,

BB

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 March 17 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Ah! You said you had found two Robert Campbell/ Barbara Loudon marriages.

Robert Campbell and Barbara Wardrop had at least two children
Robert, born 22 July 1842
Barbara, born 27 July 1845
both in Eastwood, Renfrewshire

but I have not found any of them in the 1841 or 1851 census at FreeCEN.

Offline BoslemBoy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 March 17 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Mea culpa.  I should have sought out the old notes first.

With the help you've both given me I've now discovered the births/baptisms at Uphall and Torpichen for seven children of Archibald Loudoun and Marrion Thomson, including Barbara, Jean, Helen, Agnes and Frances.

BB

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 March 17 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Excellent  :)