Author Topic: Eliza Bernard died Old Melbourne Gaol 1880 further info needed.  (Read 985 times)

Offline ForBill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Eliza Bernard died Old Melbourne Gaol 1880 further info needed.
« on: Thursday 16 March 17 04:58 GMT (UK) »
Good afternoon all, nervous newbie back seeking help from this wonderful site  ;D

I am trying to find out any information about Eliza Bernard (I have posted an extract of her Coroners Inquest elsewhere on the site).

Eliza died in the Melbourne Gaol in 1880 and I believe she is my GGGGM.

I am trying to find where she is buried, any marriage(s), any divorce(s) and any details of her children.

I have all sorts of possible information about her, but it is time that fresh eyes looked at her case!

Thank you for your interest

David Power

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Eliza Bernard died Old Melbourne Gaol 1880 further info needed.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 March 17 05:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello David. I'm sure someone will be able to help you, but I think it would be an idea to post what you already know about Eliza, including a link to the inquest, to save people going over old ground and supplying you with information you already have.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 March 17 05:10 GMT (UK) »
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/5970395 12 January 1880 The Argus
Inquest

a constable at Emerald Hill ... ....  and some time ago her husband and family left her.

:'(

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline ForBill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 March 17 05:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks JM!

Offline ForBill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 March 17 06:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello David. I'm sure someone will be able to help you, but I think it would be an idea to post what you already know about Eliza, including a link to the inquest, to save people going over old ground and supplying you with information you already have.

Hi Ruskie, thanks for that I will post link once the VPRO site is running smoothly...links are not loading this arvo. A few years ago there were a lot of posts about Eliza and her 2nd "husband" Thomas Russell Power...all became very complicated. Hence, I thought I would try a more simpler approach.

Elizabeth Hannah Bernard married a Charles T Lewis in London and migrated to Melbourne.

I can not find a record of their divorce or her subsequent marriage to Thomas Russell Power. Elizabeth was the informant for the birth registration of one of their children, Harry Power, and stated she and Thomas were married in Collingwood in 1860

I have been searching cemetery records, as only executed prisoners were buried at the gaol, without luck.

Likewise, I have got no where with police records.

Cheers

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 March 17 06:23 GMT (UK) »
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 March 17 07:30 GMT (UK) »
This is one of her children? Sue gave you this information back in Reply #44 in the Thomas CREECH thread. Link given by Sue above.

POWER Harry
Father Thomas Russell
Mother Elizabeth BERNARD
Birth Place MELB
Year 1865
Reg  10285

If you could hunt up the inquest details you say you have already posted and put up a link or copy the information it would people having to go back and look for it. Edit to add - newspaper report shown below.

Over her lifetime Eliza/beth seems to have used the name BERNARD and POWER so perhaps there's documentation in both names.

What information do you have for Eliza BERNARD dying in Melbourne Gaol?

If this is her death then information about the cause of death, burial, children, marriages, parents etc would have been asked for at the registration of the death.. Of course, as she died in an institution it's possible that the informant may not have known much, if anything, about her early life.

Victoria, Death 1880, #1907
Eliza BERNARD,  42

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 March 17 07:36 GMT (UK) »
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ForBill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 March 17 08:18 GMT (UK) »
This is one of her children? Sue gave you this information back in Reply #44 in the Thomas CREECH thread. Link given by Sue above.

POWER Harry
Father Thomas Russell
Mother Elizabeth BERNARD
Birth Place MELB
Year 1865
Reg  10285

If you could hunt up the inquest details you say you have already posted and put up a link or copy the information it would people having to go back and look for it. Edit to add - newspaper report shown below.

Over her lifetime Eliza/beth seems to have used the name BERNARD and POWER so perhaps there's documentation in both names.

What information do you have for Eliza BERNARD dying in Melbourne Gaol?

If this is her death then information about the cause of death, burial, children, marriages, parents etc would have been asked for at the registration of the death.. Of course, as she died in an institution it's possible that the informant may not have known much, if anything, about her early life.

Victoria, Death 1880, #1907
Eliza BERNARD,  42

Judith

Hi Judith

Thank you for all of that. Here is the link to the Coroners Report: http://access.prov.vic.gov.au/public/veo-download?objectId=090fe273820232ef&format=pdf&docTitle=BernardEliza18809Female&encodingId=Revision-2-Document-1-Encoding-1-DocumentData

The only information I have is the death registration, if it is "our" Eliza then her age should have been 47, not 42. I will order her death certificate but I am not at all hopeful that it will reveal anything as the summary contains many  "unknown" statements.

Yes the Harry Power above is her only known son. It is interesting to note that Harry did not list Thomas Russell Power as his father on his marriage certificate. Harry stated his father was Harry Power. Also on Harry's death certificate Elizabeth Bernard is listed as his mother and no father was recorded.

Thank you for your interest

David