Author Topic: Laughter facilitator ...Thanks for the help  (Read 4359 times)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Laughter facilitator ...Thanks for the help
« on: Thursday 16 March 17 06:22 GMT (UK) »
rootschatters ...I am now a fully fledged employed Laughter Facilitator

The care home loved the session on Sweet Memories. 
 the discussion about grandmother.s favourite chocolates was a big help when i decided what to purchase to accompany my presentation .
Thanks for suggestions ...In the end I didn't take any diabetic chocolate. ..Adding a flavour to 85% dark chocolate is a healthier option ....And for those who couldn't taste i had stickers songs and a prize ...A shortbread box (empty)in the shape of a Scottie dog.

Next month's theme is fashion of fifties and sixties .

I.m also booked by Leicester city council to do a humourous presentation about adoption 100 years ago based on my great grandmothers  story ...So thanks to all who helped on that research too

And apologies to people in the chat box ...Because of eyestrain i write whole paragraphs without looking up ...Sometimes forget to check for predictive text errors ...and then miss posts from others so may seem to be rudely not replying ....I must say everyone is really tolerant and helpful on here and I am so grateful that i found this site ..

My confidence .computer skills and personal development have advanced along with my family tree.

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
Re: Laughter facilitator ...Thanks for the help
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 March 17 06:52 GMT (UK) »
Well done Brigidmac!  Good for you!!  Keep on keeping on in your great work!                                   

🌺🌺👏👏👍👍👍
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 March 17 07:33 GMT (UK) »

Congratulations Brigidmac!!!! Keep it up!!
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 March 17 08:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks jay and silly

Also forgot the time when lovely Annie was available for me to test out my  genealogy stand up skits over the phone

I.d love to go to a family history event and do interactive comedy with a bunch of you detectives

Why /where great grandfather was arrested in UK on 3 occasion s goes down well

Working on was great grandma an actress a waitress or a seamstress

And were Lottie and Leo social benefactors in 1906 or wicked criminals

In all cases audience get to decide  true & modern verdicts and what appropriate punishment  help was accorded and would be accorded today

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 March 17 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Diabetic chocolates are horrible.They taste funny and the sorbitol in them give you the runs  8) 8) 8)

My diabetic nurse said have any ordinary chocolates but in small quantities.....yeah right!

My mum could break a bar and eat just 2 squares per night. I find that hard!  ;D

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 March 17 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Well done, Brigidmac.  I'm sure you'll have fun with this.  Fashions in the 1950s and 60s should be interesting, there was such a contrast between the two decades.   Quite prim and proper in the 1950s, "teenagers" (although we weren't called that at the time) wearing clothes exactly like their mothers, then towards the end of the fifities teenagers were just being invented  ::) the girls wearing full circular skirts with stiff petticoats, that we made stiffer by soaking them in sugar water.  Then wearing them with stockings and your legs getting scratched and your stockings snagged, the opposite was wearing pedal pushers - 3/4 length tight trousers or jeans, which were called dungarees then.  I remember my mother wouldn't let me have a pair of jeans she said they were only for workmen!    Also the beehive hairdos, we had to back comb our hair to get it to stand up, although I didn't have my hair back combed very much. 

Then the 60s came and everthing changed again, girls with long straight hair, wearing mini skirts which got shorter and shorter. 

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 March 17 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Lovely summary Lizzie do you think mine now just choose one era and do the other later in the year

I have a lovely sticker book where you can dress men and women in different settings for the 50's

One lady told me she.d been on stage and worn the kind of dresses in the ballroom page ..So i.m hoping she.Ok be able to provide some photos too .It's a small circle so i can go round with a sticker book orig can be an activity for befor o after the official laughter session .The entertainments officer is very good .They have an in house magazine

Ken.s chocolate quizz will go in there .I don't know who Ken is but a rootschatt sent me a link to his quiz so i copied it

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 March 17 10:38 GMT (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D. Beehive hairdos, yes, big hair - the teasing involved, the amount of stiff hairspray needed, then wrapping our head in toilet paper and fastening that with numerous dinkie clips before going to bed, so all was needed in the morning was to tidy it up, then flick it all back into place with the end of a tail comb, and add more hair spray!  ::) ::). Other option was to wash it out, go to bed with wet hair in rollers, then get up really early the next morning in order to start it all again!! 

Thank goodness for today's much easier hairdo's! And non sticky volumisers and lighter sprays! 👍👍
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 March 17 16:09 GMT (UK) »
And don't forget makeup! Max Factor's little duck-egg blue box of block mascara, with a tiny brush - you were supposed to spit on the brush, rub it on the block, then apply to eyelashes! Nail varnish either clear, "Natural" or very red.... powder compacts with a little mesh insert above the powder - I've still got one from my grandmother, and a rather snazzier one that was in a great-aunt's evening bag (I still use the bag - it's a beauty).
So glad it all went well.
And remember how make-up was "Fast" - my mum used to put on some lipstick, then almost entirely rub it off again, so that there was just a little more colour to her lips than before. Eyeshadow was even faster! Crude electric blue and jade green. There's a whole session in cosmetics and toiletries alone... remember toothpaste in a little tin, that you took the lid off and scrubbed at to use? Special salve for chilblains?
-And you know you'll have all those "Rootsisstants" ready to help.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)