Author Topic: Laughter facilitator ...Thanks for the help  (Read 4341 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Laughter facilitator ...Thanks for the help
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Some other smells I remember from the 1950s was that we were still using strong smelling "Coal Tar Soap", which had replaced the roughly cut blocks of green or reddish coloured "Carbolic soap", both soaps acted as disinfectants - very important with respect to children's grazed knees. Without looking round you knew when a young lad had entered the room as he either smelled of sweat or coal tar soap.   ;D  "Palmolive Soap" was used as "best" soap.  I remember when heavily perfumed, lovely smelling, "Lux" soap came out, which fascinated us because it produced so many bubbles but it really did dry our skin.

You can't beat the smell of newly baked bread.  We were still making our own bread in the 1950s.  My mother proved hers in the warm airing cupboard but other relatives still had the old fashioned black cast iron Yorkist fire ovens which had a warming cupboard.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 23 March 17 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Love newly baked bread! My Mum always used to make bread at Easter and New Year! 

I can actually smell bread baking as I type this ........it's in my breadmaker  ;D ;D ;D 😄👍👍

A great invention!!   I make my own bread all the time!    Yum - it's nearly ready too!! 
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 23 March 17 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Wish i could bottle smellnof fresh bread ! For me it's smeel of 60.'s collecting loaf & rolls from the back of the local baker's ..I don't know why my dad never used the front shop .

Yes it was aquamanda that I was trying to remember ....I did like it then .

Rena can i copy your description of 50's fashion please so evocative ...,
.My friend Mary Essinger wrote a book about work in the industry in Leicester in the 50's
 ..." In my fashion"

I.d  like to read it to her.she still has a lot of style and says how accessories can carry off an outfit .
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 23 March 17 10:03 GMT (UK) »
What a brilliant description Rena. I could have done with someone like you when I was teaching and the 50s and 60s were part of the history curriculum for 11 year olds. 
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 23 March 17 10:44 GMT (UK) »

I have a lovely sticker book where you can dress men and women in different settings for the 50's

Can I jump in , please, and ask your source for this? It sounds like a good item to use in Creative Reminiscence sessions.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 23 March 17 23:18 GMT (UK) »

Rena can i copy your description of 50's fashion please so evocative ...,
.My friend Mary Essinger wrote a book about work in the industry in Leicester in the 50's
 ..." In my fashion"

I.d  like to read it to her.she still has a lot of style and says how accessories can carry off an outfit .

Please feel free Brigid.  I take it as a compliment that you wuld like to do that.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 23 March 17 23:36 GMT (UK) »
What a brilliant description Rena. I could have done with someone like you when I was teaching and the 50s and 60s were part of the history curriculum for 11 year olds.

Thanks for the compliment groom.   Teaching a class of 11 year old pupils when they're at the start of puberty, and their brains are being reorganised so an hour's concentration is hard, is something I wouldn't want to do.   I suppose you're thankful that they weren't older and at the grunting stage  ;D

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 24 March 17 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Remember Pan Stick foundation? hair lacquer refills poured into a squeezy bottle before the aerosols came out. Also roll on deodorant. My first perfume was In Love by Normal Hartnell I think and Coty in a pink bottle. A head full of rollers on Saturday afternoons ready for a night out....some would go shopping with the hair rollers under a headscarf knotted under the chin...I was allowed to leave the house with rollers in. Mary Quant and Twiggy were the fashion icons of the day much copied at the time. Bras of the day were those awful spiders web pattern that were stiff and scratchy and only came in black or white....then the prettier ones came into fashion thankfully. My sister wore her hair in the cottage loaf style but I wore mine long with one of wide stretchy Alice bands.
I also remember buying magazines that gave free iron transfer of Cliff Richard or Marty Wild et al. My first really smart shoes had Kitten heels before I graduated to stiletto heels... Cuban heels were also popular. Bath cubes added to the bath water and talcum power after you dried off.
Happy days.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 24 March 17 00:44 GMT (UK) »
Several contributors have mentioned the smell of the perfumes on offer, which reminded me of my Uncle Fred, who after being demobbed from the army eventually set up in business with another man.

Rationing during and after the Second World War meant the ingredients for making perfumes were limited.  The end of the war and the end of some rationing meant there was a whole new market for "luxuries" and when soap came off rationing in 1950 the men decided they'd make and sell perfumed soap.  The family were eventually shown samples and I recall the soap's fragrance was of an English flower garden in summer.  In those days people lived near their workplace and in close proxiity with other members of their family and the news was that Fred was doing so well that he could hardly keep up with the demands of his customers.   In those days mid afternoon was cuppa tea time and my mother and her sisters accompanied by offspring had congregated at their mother's house to right the world when unexpectedly Fred walked in looking very dejected.   Apparently he'd had a visit from the Ministry of Bowler Hats, Grey Suits, Weskits (waistcoats) and Briefcases  :'( .   In those days you had to pay for and register your business (which would be allocatd an official number) before trading. This, Fred and his partner had done and after a few weeks the applicaton had been passed by the Department of Officialdom, which had sent the partners documents to that effect.  This particular day he was being accused of illegal trading without a licence.  Protestations by Fred but the Bowler Hats stood firm and pointed out that he didn't have a licence to use Perfume in his soap.  ???   This ingredient was scarce, still strictly regulated and a special licence was needed, which Fred's small business would not qualify for. 

We're still on the subject of "smell" because Fred's next venture was to follow in his father's footsteps by opening his own fish and chip shop where he also made patties to his own recipe.... and if you're not from Hull or Yorkshire you won't know what a pattie is  ;D