Author Topic: Hoard of gold 'treasure' found hidden inside old piano in Shropshire.  (Read 2658 times)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hoard of gold 'treasure' found hidden inside old piano in Shropshire.
« on: Thursday 16 March 17 09:28 GMT (UK) »
The inquest into a hoard of gold items believed to be potential treasure found hidden inside a piano in Shropshire, is likely to be concluded today. [16th March 2017]

Read more at http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2017/01/12/hoard-of-gold-treasure-found-inside-old-piano-in-shropshire/#kOUkWDwcvsOqFKmB.99

The inquest at the Shirehall, in Shrewsbury, was told the piano had been donated to an establishment in the south west of the county where the discovery was made.

The find was reported by the new owners of the piano and the items were deposited at Ludlow Museum Resource Centre before Christmas. [2016]

The upright piano was made by Broadwood & Sons, of London, and sold to a music establishment in Essex in 1906.  The enterprise which purchased the piano has been traced to a shop or wholesaler of musical instruments which was owned by Messrs Beavan & Mothersole of 27, West Road, Saffron Walden.

The recent history of the piano has been traced to around 1983 when it was purchased by a family in the Saffron Walden area.

John Ellery, coroner for Shropshire, Telford & Wrekin, told the inquest: “We will gather and evaluate such information that comes to us.”  Mr Ellery adjourned the inquest to allow possible claimants of the items to come forward.

It is expected details of the items will be released after the inquest has been concluded.

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hoard of gold 'treasure' found hidden inside old piano in Shropshire.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 March 17 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Fascinating and very mysterious.  :)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 March 17 14:05 GMT (UK) »
I heard about this on the news...some people didn't trust the banks  ;D I hope the items returned to family members...I wonder if the descendants of the family knew about the gold items but not what happened to them.
Good Luck to them  :D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 March 17 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Wouldn't they have been found when the piano was tuned? So either recent owners didn't have it tuned or they put it there.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 March 17 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Wouldn't they have been found when the piano was tuned? So either recent owners didn't have it tuned or they put it there.

Unless there is a major fault a piano tuner will usually open the top half of the piano to tune it. I'd imagine the 'treasure' must have been cleverly hidden somehow behind the strings in the bottom part i.e. below the keyboard.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 March 17 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Maybe it was the brass section accompaniment  ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 March 17 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Looking forward to hearing who it all goes to in the end and hope it's a worthy cause, not the Government.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 March 17 14:32 GMT (UK) »
The inquest into a hoard of gold items believed to be potential treasure found hidden inside a piano in Shropshire, is likely to be concluded today. [16th March 2017]

The find was reported by the new owners of the piano and the items were deposited at Ludlow Museum Resource Centre before Christmas. [2016]

Nice to see that there are a few honest people about and prepared to declare the finds.

Mark

If an Inquest is involved, it sounds like it might be treated the same as treasure dug up (land owner / finder, I think in the case of excavated old treasure).

Hopefully the owner of the items can be found, first?

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 March 17 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Isn't there a difference between items dropped or discarded and those deliberately hidden because there is the assumption that the owner would have intended to come back for those (but never did)?
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott