Author Topic: A cheeky request please, photo of a grave, Belfast City Cemetery  (Read 1533 times)

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A cheeky request please, photo of a grave, Belfast City Cemetery
« Reply #9 on: Monday 20 March 17 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Were Soldiers stationed in England and elsewhere serving in the British Army who were Irish allowed to sign the Ulster Covenant?

There were certainly plenty of people of Irish origins but who were outside Ireland who signed the Covenant. (You can trawl through the addresses to see them. Lots in Scotland, England, Canada, Australia etc). I don't imagine there was any restriction on soldiers signing. I can't see why there would be.
Elwyn

Offline GGYD

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 07:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Elwyn, I'll have a trawl through.
Im taking this a bit off track now from my original favour, has the rain stopped yet Wee Hugh? Ha ha.
I'd love to see where they were laid to rest.
Thanks again all

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Not actually raining at this moment, but I'd be blown backwards on the bike.
February was beautiful weather; now winter has arrived.  But I haven't forgotten you. 
May be able to combine it with a visit to Central Library and make a circular tour.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline GGYD

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 21:15 GMT (UK) »
That's very kind of you, yes, wind is not good here either!! Whenever you can, no rush, and thanks for your time

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 24 March 17 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Beautiful day, not much wind.
They told me in the office that, of those I was looking for, this was the only one with a headstone.
I walked all round section K2, but could find no inscription with the name Brown.  It may be one of the many stones that are are either toppled or completely overgrown with ivy.
There would seem to be no plan of individual sections, nor any obvious marking of plot numbers.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 24 March 17 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Well done you on trying anyhow, wee Hugh. Isn't it sad, though, that neglect is allowed to set in (ie toppled or overgrown) in such places.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline GGYD

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 24 March 17 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for late reply. Wee Hugh, your a good man, thank you for giving up your time to help to look for my G Grandparents grave, I know it was to no avail but it is greatly appreciated, I think I'll have to give them a call maybe, see if I can sort something out with them.
Thanks again everyone, and Wee Hugh again, thanks for your time and effort.

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 25 March 17 07:10 GMT (UK) »
Think nothing of it, GGYD.
It was a pleasant cycle ride across town in the sunshine.
I just wish I could have found the graves for you and three others.
I did in fact ask in the office whether they have plans of individual sections, but the woman replied "Give me your list and I'll look them up to see whether they have headstones". 
Kind of her, but it didn't exactly answer the question!
It's a large cemetery, nearly 1 km long and 375 m wide.
Plodding round just one section takes time.
Some sections straddle a path; in other cases an area bounded by paths contains more than one section with no obvious dividing line.
And of course the older graves are not in neat lines.
Well, it is Ireland!