Author Topic: Can Anybody Find Me Some Information?  (Read 1649 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can Anybody Find Me Some Information?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 16 March 17 17:55 GMT (UK) »
OK thanks. here is a snippet from that thread
Nora was born in 1897 in Castletownroche under name of Shanahan. She is in Ballyhooly in 1901 and 1911 census under the name of Dwan. I have the birth certificate (although only from the Cork genealogy website). It is rumoured that she was born from a relationship between Julia Shanahan and a farm worker called Dwan. Her mother Ellen Shanahan named herself as mother on the birth certificate to stop any rumours, although she called her a Dwan afterwards.

May be worth sending a personal message to beamobhoy [click the text icon under their profile on that thread] as a fair amount of research seems to have been done - and certificates are held. Worth finding out the source of the 'rumours'
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Tony Williams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 March 17 17:57 GMT (UK) »
But if it's Dwan, where on earth did Dwane come from? I know you probably won't know the answer to this. Thanks for your help.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 16 March 17 18:14 GMT (UK) »
It may just be the way someone wrote it down [could Ellen the grandmother write?] or heard it. Compared to some, this is a very uncomplicated variation  :).
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Offline Tony Williams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 16 March 17 18:53 GMT (UK) »
I think she couldn't write, quite sure I read that somewhere. Anyway, would there be any chance I could track down her father's family, without actually knowing anything or is that just beyond impossible??

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 16 March 17 19:24 GMT (UK) »
I think she couldn't write, quite sure I read that somewhere. Anyway, would there be any chance I could track down her father's family, without actually knowing anything or is that just beyond impossible??

Unless the father (or alleged father) is named on a birth or baptism record, or the mother sued the father for maintenance, you would only find 'possibles'.  DWAN could be transcribed as DWANE or DWAIN or even DEVANE.

To be honest, the likelihood of finding the father is very remote.
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 17 March 17 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Well put, Philip.

Tony - I think you answered your own question  :)
would there be any chance I could track down her father's family, without actually knowing anything or is that just beyond impossible??

Did you contact beamobhoy, who I think has as much information as can be found?

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 17 March 17 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Reading the other thread re. Nora (via the link) surely it can't be the same person?

Their Nora married a Patrick McCarthy and you say yours married a Thomas Carroll (although you state Irwin on this other thread).

I'm confused!

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk