Author Topic: Sharp family, Pegswood, Bothal connection to Sarah Hindmarsh?  (Read 957 times)

Offline ejowynne

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sharp family, Pegswood, Bothal connection to Sarah Hindmarsh?
« on: Friday 17 March 17 07:22 GMT (UK) »
John Sharp married Jane Gardner 1796.
In the 1891 census some of this couples children were together.
Sarah Nicholson, Head, widow, 81, b. 1810
Mary Campbell,sister,  widow, 88, born 1803
John Sharp, brother, single, 76, b. 1815
Jane Hume, neice, single, 58, born 1833
Sarah Hindmarsh, cousin, single, 73, b. 1818

Other siblings of Sarah, Mary and John who are not present  are - Jane Jobling, Louise Sharp and Frances Hume.

The person I am interested in is Sarah Hindmarsh. I have tried every which way to see how she could be a cousin to this family. I I hope that if I can find the connection it will add to my knowledge of Sarah's family. Possible names that might connect from her family are - Hindmarsh, Scott and Thompson.
I am posting this in the hope that someone has been working on the Sharp/Gardner family and is able to help me with a connection to Sarah Hindmarsh

Thank you
Jo

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sharp family, Pegswood, Bothal connection to Sarah Hindmarsh?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 March 17 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There is a marriage of a Ralph Hindmarsh to Sarah Scott in St John's Newcastle 8 July 1799. (Bride is said to be native of Belford Parish).

I note that in the 1891 census Sarah gives pob as St John's Newcastle.

There is a baptism showing on Familysearch for a Sarah Hindmarsh with parents Ralph and Sarah 31 Aug 1817 in Newcastle.

Ralph Hindmarsh and Sarah Scott seem to have had a number of children. It might be worth looking at the Bts to see if this could be the correct family.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 March 17 09:13 GMT (UK) »
Further to the above here are a couple of baptisms from the Bts for St John's Newcastle.

Sarah Hindmarsh bap 31 Aug  1817 Parents Ralph and Sarah. Abode Albion Place. Occupation Master Mariner.

And one for a possible sibling with more detail...

James Scott Hindmarsh 4th son of Ralph Hindmarsh, Master Mariner, native of this chapelry by his wife Sarah daur. of James Scott, native of Belford Parish. Born 24 June 1808. Baptised 25 June 1811.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 March 17 10:04 GMT (UK) »
If the above is the correct family they may well be in Bethnal Green in the 1841 census.

Possible death for Ralph - as transcribed on the gro indexes.

Hindmarsh, Ralfth Jan - Mar 1844 Bethnal Green RD Age 69.

1851 census appears to have the two Sarahs in the Trinity Alms Houses in Bethnal Green.

Sarah Hindmarsh Inmate  Widow 76 sea captain's widow b Northumberland (transcribed as Easington Grange but hard to decipher).

Sarah Hindmarsh Dau 32 b Northumberland Newcastle.

William

Added From the Belford Bts there is this baptism 29th Jan 1775 Sarah Scott, Daughter of James and Sarah Scott, Easington Grange.

Offline ejowynne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 March 17 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks - yes that is all correct and I have all that I could possibly want about Sarah's immediate family -her siblings and her parents - Ralph Hindmarsh and Sarah Scott.  Her Hindmarsh grandparents were John Hindmarsh and Margaret Thompson. Her Scott grandparents were James Scott and Sarah Thompson. I have plenty of information on the Hindmarshes and the Scotts but haven't been able to trace the families of the two Thompsons.
I have looked a little at the Sharp/Gardener family  but cannot find how Sarah could be a cousin. Hence my slim hope that there might be  a Sharp/Gardner researcher out there coming at it from the other end who could  help me.

Offline ejowynne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 March 17 03:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There is a marriage of a Ralph Hindmarsh to Sarah Scott in St John's Newcastle 8 July 1799. (Bride is said to be native of Belford Parish).

I note that in the 1891 census Sarah gives pob as St John's Newcastle.

There is a baptism showing on Familysearch for a Sarah Hindmarsh with parents Ralph and Sarah 31 Aug 1817 in Newcastle.

Ralph Hindmarsh and Sarah Scott seem to have had a number of children. It might be worth looking at the Bts to see if this could be the correct family.

William

Hi William
You did a lot of work on tracking Sarah. I must apologise for not  making it clear that I wasn't looking for information on her immediate family - parents and siblings.  I am trying to solve the puzzle about how she could be related to the Sharps/Gardners. Thank you for the work you did.
One thing that puzzles me with what you have found. You say that Ralph Hindmarsh married Sarah Scott at St. Johns, Newcastle 1799 July 8.  The date is correct but family story has that Sarah Scott married Capt. Ralph Hindmarsh on that date in Belford, wearing her riding habit and then they rode to Newcastle. Their children were all baptised at St. Johns. I have just checked the Bishops Transcripts and there doesn't appear to be an entry at St. Johns for them on that date. I wonder where you found that information?
All the best Jo

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 March 17 07:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jo

Looking at the transcription again I clearly misread the groom's parish as the place of marriage.  Note to self read things properly!

Anyway I found it an interesting search - just sorry I couldn't solve your puzzle!

William