Author Topic: Looking for a Graveyard in Londonderry  (Read 1682 times)

Offline apthorpea

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for a Graveyard in Londonderry
« on: Friday 17 March 17 10:39 GMT (UK) »
My great grandmother Elizabeth Stewart nee Duncan lived at Sherrif Mountain Londonderry which I believe is in the Lower Liberties of  L/Derry.  She was probably C of I as recorded in the 1911 census.  My grand parents and mother are buried in Glendermott Cemetery, I  remember visiting their graves when I was a child. I am visiting N Ireland in May and would like to visit my G grandmother's grave but do not know which graveyard she was buried in. She died on 24 Mar 1948.  Her husband John Gerrard Stewart died on the 15 Sept 1933 at Drumclamph, nr Castlederg, in his will he leaves the farm to John Stewart his son. It appears Maggie Stewart and John Stewart were living at home the time of his death, but my grandmother was working in L/Derry, maybe the reason why her mother moved to Londonderry.  In the 1911 census Elizabeth Stewart is a servant and not married to John, who is a widower.  The birth certs of my G mother has Isabella Stewart as the mother and Maggie Jane's birth certificate has Elizabeth Stewart as her mother. Elizabeth's death certificate has my grandmother name Mary Reilly, daughter present at death.  I think my G Grandfather may have had several wives, but that is a different issue.  Is there somewhere in L/Derry that registers the deaths buried in local cemeteries?  Thanks in advance for any information. Angela
Stewart, Reilly, Montgomery, Cheshire, Lyttle, Rankin, Apthorpe, Hart, Anderson,  Gourley

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a Graveyard in Londonderry
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 March 17 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Derry City Cemetery is one possibility- they have excellent records-
http://www.discovereverafter.com/graveyards/125/derry-city-cemetery

This site lists those that now come under the Council but that doesn't mean they will have a complete set of records-
http://www.derrystrabane.com/Subsites/cemeteries-(1)/Cemeteries
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline apthorpea

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 March 17 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the information, I assume I need to set up a username and password to access the site.
Thanks again  Angela
Stewart, Reilly, Montgomery, Cheshire, Lyttle, Rankin, Apthorpe, Hart, Anderson,  Gourley

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 March 17 09:07 GMT (UK) »
The first link was posted for background- I seriously doubt they've recorded all the headstones but would be wonderful if that's true. Can't see any way to register or subscribe and nothing on site seems very clear but I suspect might be more of a cemetery management option  :-\
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!