Author Topic: James Edward O'Neil. Death in the 'Dominion of Canada' 1914-1915.  (Read 500 times)

Offline Michael ONeil

• RootsChat Member
  • O'Neil with 1 L
    • View Profile
James Edward O'Neil. Death in the 'Dominion of Canada' 1914-1915.
« on: Friday 17 March 17 13:02 GMT (UK) »
This is another of my quests that I’m throwing up again looking for any suggestions after a few years.

My only evidence for this comes from a 1916 New York City probate in which there is a letter my Great Grandmother in Liverpool, has written to her husband James’ aunts in December 1915, informing them that she had ‘received a visitor who told her James had died year last past in the Dominion of Canada’. This to me implies either 1914 or 1915.

The aunts have written back to Mary in January 1916 telling her that they were surprised about this because he had supposedly been seen recently in NYC. I don’t think it’s clear from the tone whether it is the aunts themselves that have seen James or if they have heard this from another source or how recent “recently” is. Mary replies to this in a second letter dated May 1916 that 'this is odd as her informant seemed genuine but that I would not believe anything of him without absolute proof' and adding 'PS let me know if you hear anymore of Jimmie'.

So what I know about my Great Grandfather that could help with any death record…

James Edward O’Neil.
Born: 22 February 1874, Brooklyn.
Married: 14 February 1907, Liverpool, UK.
Wife: Mary McArdle.
Residences: 80 Old Hall Street (Liverpool), 113 East 12th Street and/or 248 East 84th Street (NYC).
Parents: James Edward O’Neil and Hannah Angela Ames.

According to the probate he was last officially seen at 248 East 84th Street in August 1910. He was known to have deserted his wife Mary. The address was his mother’s cousin - Joesph Dickers.

I’ve no idea what the link is to Canada but the country has featured before. Before living with an uncle in Akron, Ohio (1890-92) he was known to have had some schooling in Canada. He would have been 16 when he went to live with his uncle so possible he finished his education there but again I’ve absolutely no idea why Canada. Both parents were still living in NYC.

I’ve never found any record of his death so to quote the aunts “let me know if you hear anymore of Jimmie”.

Any suggestions folks?
Surnames: O'Neil, Beechinor, Ames, Dickers
Locations: Clonakilty, Cashilisky, Fourcuil, Ringroe, Knuckskagh, New York City, Ohio, Canada, Liverpool.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Edward O'Neil. Death in the 'Dominion of Canada' 1914-1915.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 March 17 21:34 GMT (UK) »
There is this:

WW1 Draft Registration, 1918:

James Edward O'NEIL, age 44
DoB: 22 February 1874,
White, US Native Born
Pernament Home Address: 383-9th St
Employer: Warehouse & Serial Workers
Employer Address:  2 x Brifaut Sts, San Francisco, Cal.
Nearest Relative: Mary Agnes O'Neil, of 383 -9th St, S.F. Cal.
Description: Tall, Medium Build, Light Blue Eyes, Blond Hair.
REGISTERED 12 Sep 1918, San Francisco

Do you have a description of your Jimmie? Or a document with his signature?

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Michael ONeil

• RootsChat Member
  • O'Neil with 1 L
    • View Profile
Re: James Edward O'Neil. Death in the 'Dominion of Canada' 1914-1915.
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 March 17 07:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ambly,

Sorry for the late reply but I've been away for the weekend and off the radar. Big apologies but I put the wrong DOB down for Jimmie. It should be 21 Feb 1874. I have seen and saved that WW1 record but I can't go any further with it for now. The only document I have that he would have signed is his wedding certificate however it's a certified copy that is filled in by the registrar and notes all the details. It's not a photocopy of the original. I'm not sure if they keep the originals that I could view and maybe take a shot of the signature but I'll follow that up.

Michael.
Surnames: O'Neil, Beechinor, Ames, Dickers
Locations: Clonakilty, Cashilisky, Fourcuil, Ringroe, Knuckskagh, New York City, Ohio, Canada, Liverpool.