Author Topic: Mystery Photo  (Read 1467 times)

Offline pendlelad

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mystery Photo
« on: Friday 17 March 17 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

We have this photograph in our possession, of my Great grandfather's brother (Harry Nutter born 1889, Colne, Lancs, England). It shows him on the left, walking down a street in his uniform with two other military men. We know that Harry was in the Navy during WW1 and there is a couple of documents relating to it, but we know nothing about what he did later on in WW2 (don't know the exact date of this photo, could be pre-1939). If anyone could give me any clues from his uniform etc. i would be very grateful (sorry for the bad quality, it is quite a small blurry picture).

Thanks.
LANCASHIRE-Nutter, Driver, Foley, Taylor, Blanthorn, Parker, Pickles, Grime, Mudd, Broadley, Spencer, Whalley, Harrison, Ellis, Timmins, Duerden, Cornthwaite, Schofield, Wardley, Lord, Scholes
IRELAND-Foley, Timmins, Foran, Farrall, Traynor, Crawley, Ganley, McDermott, Manning
HAMPSHIRE-Wheeler, Gilmore
STAFFS/SHROP-Darn, Spittle
DERB'HIRE-Mason, Trimmer
YORKSHIRE-Perkin (Parkin), Robinson
CORNWALL-Harris, Jane, Bennett
CHESHIRE-Littlemore, Timmins, Blanthorn, Smith
HUNTI'SHRE-Stretton, Bryant

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery Photo
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 March 17 15:11 GMT (UK) »
This is a photo of a Royal Artillery Sergeant, post Great War (he is wearing the three Great War medal ribbons).

There is a medal card  for 92653 Gnr Harry Nutter of the Royal Field Artillery which would match (there are two others with the same name  but both did not survive the war).

If he lived in Barker House Road Nelson after the war then part of his his record is on Ancestry which seems to put the navy service in doubt?

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline pendlelad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 March 17 15:42 GMT (UK) »
This is a photo of a Royal Artillery Sergeant, post Great War (he is wearing the three Great War medal ribbons).

There is a medal card  for 92653 Gnr Harry Nutter of the Royal Field Artillery which would match (there are two others with the same name  but both did not survive the war).

If he lived in Barker House Road Nelson after the war then part of his his record is on Ancestry which seems to put the navy service in doubt?

maxD

Hi maxD,

Thanks for the reply,

I think the Harry who lived on Barkerhouse Road is a different man (probably the one down on the 1911 census as being born in Nelson and living in Nelson. I you want to see my Harry's WW1 navy records then the links are below- We know he served on HMS Ajax at the battle of Jutland. There is also a picture of him in Toronto? in 1917 wearing a white uniform.

https://ibb.co/jTyETv
https://ibb.co/ffAiMF
https://ibb.co/bEq6aa
https://ibb.co/hekTov

Thanks for the info about the medal ribbons, i didn't know about that.

Pendlelad
LANCASHIRE-Nutter, Driver, Foley, Taylor, Blanthorn, Parker, Pickles, Grime, Mudd, Broadley, Spencer, Whalley, Harrison, Ellis, Timmins, Duerden, Cornthwaite, Schofield, Wardley, Lord, Scholes
IRELAND-Foley, Timmins, Foran, Farrall, Traynor, Crawley, Ganley, McDermott, Manning
DERB'HIRE-Mason, Trimmer

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 March 17 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Got it I think.  The third of your links (his RN record) seems to have the clue.  It appears to record his enlistment after the war in the Lancashire and Cheshire Heavy Brigade Royal Artillery TA.  The uniform is correct and the three medal ribbons accord with the medals earned by your Harry. 

maxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline pendlelad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 March 17 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Got it I think.  The third of your links (his RN record) seems to have the clue.  It appears to record his enlistment after the war in the Lancashire and Cheshire Heavy Brigade Royal Artillery TA.  The uniform is correct and the three medal ribbons accord with the medals earned by your Harry. 

maxD

maxD,

Fantastic! I never noticed that on the record. Silly me. Would there be any way of obtaining his service records in this regiment or not? Im not an expert on military records as you know so I dont't know if there is open access to them yet. I doubt Harry would have left Britain's shores to serve abroad (bit i dont want to assume anything).

Thanks again for your help.
Pendlelad
DERB'HIRE-Mason, Trimmer

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 March 17 17:29 GMT (UK) »
I can't find any evidence that the unit continued in some form into the Second war (care needed, there was also a Lancashire and Cheshire Royal Garrison Artillery which did continue as a Coast regiment)   ** see later post and whether your man served again  - don't know although he would have been 50 at the outbreak of war so unlikely.  If he did,  then his record would be with all the other post 1920 records still with MOD https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/overview .

The National Archive guide on TA soldiers is here:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/volunteers-territorials/ so I think the first thing is to try to find a local archive that might hold such records.  Apart from having a Nelson born brother in law, my knowledge of such facilities in the area is non-existent I'm afraid.

maxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline seaweed

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 March 17 17:43 GMT (UK) »
The first two links you gave

https://ibb.co/jTyETv and https://ibb.co/ffAiMF  Cards CR1 and CS10 are Merchant Navy records. Looks like he served  in MN for a year or so.

Not sure if the photograph is "Toronto" Would he be wearing whites in North America?
Looks like a Topee on the table. In Toronto? or is it there for show.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 March 17 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I wonder if the writing on the photo says Taranto (Italy), not Toronto, Canada,  ???.  The climate might better suit a Topee.
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 March 17 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I wonder if the writing on the photo says Taranto (Italy), not Toronto, Canada,  ???.  The climate might better suit a Topee.

I think you are correct. If you cross refer the date of the photo 10.8.1917 and you look at his service record - he was aboard HMS QUEEN at this time - she was depot ship at Taranto.

Just to add to seaweed's post, I have him in Merchant Navy aboard ss BENEDICT and also ss STEPHEN in 1923. It is unlikely he was serving after 1924.

Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO