Author Topic: Public House History  (Read 937 times)

Offline Cummingss

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Public House History
« on: Friday 17 March 17 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

For the last few months now I've been researching the history of my local pub, The Unicorn Inn, Dean Row, Bollin Fee, Wilmslow, Cheshire.

I've managed to get as far back as 1774 and know the owner of the property at that time was a chap called Thomas Hatton, born Prestbury in 1738. He dies in 1828(!) and the pub transfers to his daughter Mary who is listed at the Unicorn in the 1841 census. That's all backed up by a book that we found, "The Alehouses and Alehouse Keepers of Cheshire 1629-1828)" where both names are listed from 1774.

I've now hit a brick wall and cannot figure out where to find the original lease on the land where the pub stands. I have found reference to Thomas Hatton in the papers of the Earl of Stamford at Rylands (Manchester uni) where he's listed as taking "lease for lives" on land in 1804 and again in 1810...but I cannot find any reference to the earlier date of 1774.

Quite amazing that the pub has retained its original name from 1774 to the present day...!

Does anyone have any hints on where I might look next?

Thanks

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Public House History
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 March 17 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Firstly, welcome to Rootschat.

Whilst I can't help you with your request, I thought you might be interested to see these maps of Dean Row.

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=16&lat=53.3308&lon=-2.1928&layers=6&right=BingHyb

You've talked about The Unicorn retaining it's name since 1774, which is remarkable.  I find it also remarkable, looking at the maps, how many of the fields have remained the same shape for at least 100 years.

I lived for many years in Cheadle Hulme, and visited Dean Row on a number of occasions  :)
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline PrawnCocktail

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 March 17 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello Cummingss, welcome to Rootschat!

Have you tried asking the Cheshire Record Office about:

Alehouse Recognisances
Land Tax records
Window Tax records

for Wilmslow at all?
Website: http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~towcesterfamilies/genealogy/
Towcester - anything, any time
Cheshire - Lambert, Houghland, Birtwisle
Liverpool - Platt, Cunningham, Ditton
London - Notley, Elsom, Billett
Oxfordshire - Hitchcock, Smith, Leonard, Taunt
Durham - Hepburn, Eltringham
Berwickshire - Guthrie, Crawford
Somerset - Taylor (Bath)
Gloucestershire - Verrinder, Colborn
Dorset - Westlake

Offline Cummingss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 March 17 18:01 GMT (UK) »
BumbleB, thanks for that, the shape and size of the fields is surprising. I've also found through the Tithe maps that quite a lot of the land by the road was owned by the pubs owner back in the early 1800's so i guess the Unicorn was a farm as well as an Inn.

PrawnCocktail: Thanks, not something I was aware of...new to all of this, I'll give it a go.

Cheers,

Steve

Offline Pawsnjaws

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 August 21 22:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve

I visited the Unicorn prior to 2020 and the year of lockdowns, I remember there were some prints on the wall giving information of previous tenants and owners, Greene King must have employed someone to research the Pub for interior decor. Have you seen them?