Author Topic: Blodwin Jones  (Read 3447 times)

Offline grubheam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Blodwin Jones
« on: Friday 17 March 17 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am confused on the Jones family. I have the marriage cert of Blodwin Jones, age 19, spinster married on 23rd June 1913 at Pengam, Bedwelley, Monmouth to Edwin Luffman. Blodwin's father was William Jones,a coalminer. Blodwin's address was 20 Greenfield, New Tredegar.

I found Blodwin on 1911 census with the same address 20 Greenfield, lived with her parents William and Mary. They married for 34 years and have one child, I assumed its Blodwin, look at age gaps between parents and daughter.

Going back to 1901, I found her as a granddaughter of William and Mary! Along with William, Mary, Blodwin, was son David William and his wife Jane daughter in law and another granddaughter Mary E Jones, I assumed Mary E was a daughter of David and Jane.

But on 1911 census, David and Jane lived next door to William and Mary, stated they married for 10 years and have no children!

I ordered the birth cert of Blodwin Jones with the help of death record of Blodwin Luffman, stated her birth date and I thought it was easy to find her but no GRO couldn't find her!

I think William and Mary and David and Jane were confused - they may not sure in 1911 but more clearly in 1901.

Without Welsh parish records on ancestry, I am stuck and confused!

Can you do some magic please?
Gallop / Gallop of Mid & East Dorset & Bournemouth area
Grubheam of Herefordshire
Luker of Abingdon, Berkshire & Tunbridge Wells, Kent
Dwight of Middlesex & London

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Blodwin Jones
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 March 17 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Blodwin is an unusual spelling of Blodwen?

Plenty of Blodwen birth registrations in 1892 +/- a year or 2.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 March 17 21:25 GMT (UK) »
She appears to be blodwEn on the marriage and 1901 census.

In the 1901 David and Jane are unlikely to be Mary's parents as Jane would only be 14 or 15 when mary was born

Mike

Added.   Also if the birthdate given on the death is correct (It may not be) then blodwin would have been 9 in 1901 not 6

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 March 17 21:35 GMT (UK) »
working from the 1901 census
20 Greenfields, Bedwelty RG13/4939 folio 29 pg 50
William Jones head mar 48 coal hewer
Mary wife 44 b. Carms, Llandovery
David W Jones son 23 railway engine stoker
Jane daughter in law 24
Mary E grand dau 9
Blodwen grand dau 6
all born Glam, Dowlais unless noted

As Blodwen is shown as 6, the date of birth given on her death reg of 28 June 1892 isn't correct. The 28 June might be correct, but 1892 would make her 8 on the 1901 census.
Also, I wonder if William & Mary misunderstood the question in 1911 about children as it would seem they did have other children.

1881 census
52 Francis St, Dowlais RG11/5316 folio 58 pg 11
William Jones head mar 27 coal miner
Mary wife 23 b. Carms, Llandovery
D W son 3
Jane daughter 1
Mary Ann dau 2 months
all born Dowlais except Mary.

Have you checked what she gave as her date of birth on the 1939 register?

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline stitchwitch

• RootsChat Member
  • Creature of impulse with dodgy improbability drive
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 March 17 21:41 GMT (UK) »
I was about to ask whether you meant Bedwelty, not Bedwelly. Now I see she seems to have been born in Dowlais. It would have helped if you'd mentioned all this if you want people to paddle around helping you to find stuff  :-\
Powell Barber Dyke Overton
Heywood Crimes Parsonage Hargrave Sheard Wild

Madness is hereditary, you get it from your children!

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 March 17 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Birthdate 28.6.1892 on 1979 death reg so unlikely the birth was registered in the June qtr - more likely September

Are you assuming she was born in Monmouth because she married there or because you know for certain she was born there??   

If it's a certainty then that narrows it down to 2 entries both BlodwEn (ie) Bedwelty 11a 74 and Pontypool 11a 127 - Bedwelty being the likeliest given the 1913 marriage location

GRO maiden name search on the Bedwelty entry shows mothers maiden name Thomas

When you gave the birthdate to the GRO - did you also quote any parents names?   
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline stitchwitch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 March 17 22:11 GMT (UK) »

As Blodwen is shown as 6, the date of birth given on her death reg of 28 June 1892 isn't correct. The 28 June might be correct, but 1892 would make her 8 on the 1901 census.
Also, I wonder if William & Mary misunderstood the question in 1911 about children as it would seem they did have other children.

It occurs to me that William may well have been married twice. It also occurs to me that, given that they would have been married for 17 years before Blodwen put in an appearance, that she might actually be the child of a teenage daughter from the first marriage. Blodwen may never have known this.

The age at death on the death certificate is only as accurate as the knowledge of the informant. Check who this is on the death certificate.

The other thought that occurs to me is ... are you sure you have the correct set of Joneses? This is Wales. They are everywhere. ;)

Offline stitchwitch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 March 17 23:11 GMT (UK) »

OK, assuming Blodwen was born in 1894 in Dowlais, she would be registered in Merthyr Tydfil. There are two possible entries for the July quarter (her birthday 28/6) and none for the Sept quarter. So:

JONES, BLODWEN        DAVIES GRO Ref.: 1894  J Quarter in MERTHYR TYDFIL  Volume 11A  Page 633
JONES, BLODWEN        DAVIES GRO Ref.: 1894  J Quarter in MERTHYR TYDFIL  Volume 11A  Page 651

Spot the technical hitch? Both mothers nee Davies. Marvellous.

However, on the 1939 register she is in Bournmouth with her younger son plus another person (I presume the older boy). I found the death for the younger one and the marriage for the elder easily enough,so Off you go  :D

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 March 17 00:25 GMT (UK) »
From Osprey's reply above

Have you checked what she gave as her date of birth on the 1939 register?

With so many Blodwen Jones to choose from - this may be your best way forward.  If it confirms the birthdate on her death cert then you will at least know it is the correct one and not an error by whoever reported her death

You will need to look that up yourself as info from the 1939 register is subject to restrictions
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)