Author Topic: Roberts/Jones family in Bagillt  (Read 2538 times)

Offline fluffyferret

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Roberts/Jones family in Bagillt
« Reply #9 on: Monday 20 March 17 15:23 GMT (UK) »
The 1855 birth registration Holywell, Sep Qtr, 11b  251 - mother's maiden name Leighton

There is a Holywell birth registration Jun Qtr 1857, 11b 265, mother's maiden name Jones (this may be the Whitford birth on North Wales' BMDs)

I think that is the birth certificate I have for Isaac Sept Qtr 1855 but it says mother Mary Roberts formerly Jones.

Where did you find Leighton?

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 20 March 17 16:23 GMT (UK) »
The GRO (General Register Office) recently opened its books to allow birth registration searches to reveal mother's maiden name on enquiry. You have to register to search.

Hence my confusion when my 1855 search threw up Leighton yet your birth cert shows Jones.

Offline fluffyferret

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 01 April 17 17:41 BST (UK) »
I have the replacement birth certificate and it shows Isaac Roberts b 1855 Bagillt son of William Roberts collier and Mary Leighton  :)

Also William Roberts collier son of John Roberts collier married 1853 to Mary Leighton dau of William Leighton collier both full age and of Bagillt
witnesses - Enoch Leighton (Mary's older brother - see below) and Margaret Roberts (possibly William's sister?)

Looking at the GRO births index there are 3 other possible children Sarah Roberts b 1854, Sarah b 1857 and Joseph b 1861. There was also a William b 1861 but I found a baptism for Joseph in the Bagillt baptisms booklet son of William Roberts collier and Mary Roberts of Union Row, Bagillt so the Joseph belongs to William/Mary. No baptisms for the other children at Bagillt.

Roberts/Leighton births after 1861 on the index seem to belong to John Roberts m Ann Leighton - Ann I think was Mary Leighton's sister but the John Roberts was from Caerwys not Bagillt but could still be related to William Roberts.

The last Roberts/Leighton birth I can find for William and Mary was in 1861 and I can't find them in 1871 so they could have moved or one or both parents died. I'm struggling to find what happened to the second Sarah Roberts b 1857 and the only possible Joseph Roberts b abt 1861 was in the workhouse in 1871.

Re the Leightons

Fortunately there was only one William Leighton collier in Bagillt in 1841
Pentre Bach
William Leighton 35 collier
Judith 35
Jane 20
Mary 15
Elias 15
Enoch 14
Mary 8
Ann 6
Wm 3
Emas 2

Unfortunately there seems to be 2 Marys! Looking at the original they both look like "Mary" one isn't a Margt. There is a bit of a gap in the ages between Enoch and the second Mary so I wondered if William had remarried and that's why there were 2 Marys? Perhaps there might be baptisms for the children to check for parents names?

In 1851

Willam Leighton 51 collier
Judy wife 47
Mary 18
Anne 16
William 13
Joseph 7
all born Bagillt.

Carole