Author Topic: The remains of old Ardwick and Beswick  (Read 5316 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The remains of old Ardwick and Beswick
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 08 April 17 11:11 BST (UK) »
Sometimes I feel that simply clearing was the easier (and cheaper?) option for developers. Easier than renovation and retaining the character of a place - the 60s has a lot to answer for. Sad that what you knew and had fond memories of has been razed to the ground. It is always going to be sad to see.  :(

Offline Jontrev

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 12 February 18 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help with the location of Meridian Street, Ardwick in the early 1900's as it's for my wife side of the family, poss. near Ashton Old Road ?

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 12 February 18 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help with the location of Meridian Street, Ardwick in the early 1900's as it's for my wife side of the family, poss. near Ashton Old Road ?

Welcome to rootschat Jontrev. Do you have the family in the 1901 or 1911 census at that address?

If so, if you give their names and any other details so we can look them up for ourselves it can be easier to see the street name in context with surrounding streets to give an idea of location. As it is, Meridian Street does not seem to exist now, so some clues as to where to look might be a good idea. Ashton Old Road is a very long road and there are many streets in the vicinity.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 February 18 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Don't worry - I found it:
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=19&lat=53.4740&lon=-2.2181&layers=168&right=BingHyb

You can zoom in and out and scroll around the map. The street has gone I'm afraid, replaced by a (now) shabby 60s building and a grim yard full of palets.. :-\

Offline Jontrev

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 12 February 18 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, yes I don't think it's worth a day out to look at the views !

Offline Kevin Byrne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 24 August 21 19:22 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can give a clue as to the rough whereabouts of Willaston Street, near Hyde Road. I think demolished in the 1960s; on old maps there are so many streets that it is hard to know where to look, e.g. north or south or east or west of Ardwick Green, something like that?  Many thanks.
P.S. Grandfather born there 1891; I have seen the pictures in Machester City Archive, excellent

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 24 August 21 22:29 BST (UK) »
I have an old A-Z which shows Willaston Street.

I navigated to the area starting from Ruskie's link just above so you should find it in the centre of the map found with this link:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17&lat=53.46915&lon=-2.20688&layers=168&right=BingHyb

Looks like it is more or less where "Whixhall Avenue" is shown on the modern image.

Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.
RUTTER family and Matilda Sampson's Will:

Offline Kevin Byrne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 24 August 21 22:41 BST (UK) »
Absolutely brilliant, thank you kindly - a magnificent response, could not be better.  This really puts everything together, including the local church etc.  I could not be more pleased - thanks again, Kevin