Author Topic: Looking for Owen Mitchell  (Read 4835 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Owen Mitchell
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 18 March 17 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Macmitch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 11 May 17 13:51 BST (UK) »
Owen Mitchell is my grandfather and did indeed die of black water fever in Accra, Gold Coast in 1920 aged 42. No obituary that I know of, only a photo of a small plaque erected by his wife and officers in Accra.  Interestingly his marriage certificate to Margaret Jeanie Muriel Griffin refers to him as a widower!? I have absolutely no idea what that is about. Would like to know the angle of interest from this chat line. Thanks.

Offline Macmitch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 11 May 17 14:24 BST (UK) »
Also, marriage certificate refers to father as a John Mitchell, farmer.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 11 May 17 18:59 BST (UK) »
If he is the one born in Leitrim, then, and his father is John, he is probably the one born on 30 August 1877 at Gorteenoran, Mohill, Co Leitrim, parents John Mitchell and Kate Gaffney.

If Margaret Jeanie Muriel Griffin was your grandmother, you and I are related (7th cousins once removed!)

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Macmitch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 12 May 17 01:21 BST (UK) »
Glad to 'meet' you - the first and only blood contact ever, however remote! I have very little information of previous generations with my father appearing never to have made contact with any family - suspect distance, only son and WW2 disruption. He carried the Waddell name within his given names and he has passed down some Waddell artifacts; seal and crest but that's where it all ends. Interested in what that tree looks like.
Regards

Offline john logan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 10:55 BST (UK) »
Owen Mitchell was my great uncle, a brother of my grandfather Daniel Mitchell. I have some iinformation on his career in London in the post office and his career from c. 1904, first in east Africa and from 1910 in west Africa (Accra) and his death there in 1920. I have recently been in contact with Owen's grandson.

John Logan, 19 June 2018, Limerick