Author Topic: 'True Life Stories' written by everyday people  (Read 2940 times)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
'True Life Stories' written by everyday people
« on: Saturday 18 March 17 16:19 GMT (UK) »
As FH researchers we are nosy  ::) by nature, needing to find out details long lost and left in the past all the unknown and forgotten details, bringing them back to life to document them. We hear family stories and feel the need to investigate and prove them right or wrong and the excitement is the chasing down and finding records to prove the real story of our ancestors.

So do you also read 'True Life Stories' written by everyday people as well.
If so what makes you pick up a book in the first place?

What attracts you, is it the cover, the title or is it the attention grabbing preface or foreword you look at and read?

So do you buy a hard copy, use kindle or loan from the library to read factual life stories written by normal everyday people ( not famous/infamous)?

Or is it the era that interests you or maybe the part of the country the story is set in?
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Biographies/Autobiographies written by everyday people
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 March 17 16:27 GMT (UK) »
I tend to read more social histories than biographies simply because they are easier to find.  However, if I find an autobiography or journal relating to a location or occupation I will often buy it (whether it is relevant to my ancestors or not).  The content is what attracts me, not the cover or blurb.  A tatty second-hand book is more exciting to me than a glossy new book (and can cost more!).

As for the format - I always read books - I can't get comfortable reading masses of text on a screen.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 March 17 16:35 GMT (UK) »
I don't read ANY biographies/autobiographies at all! ;D
Just not my thing, I suppose?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 March 17 16:57 GMT (UK) »
I don't read ANY biographies/autobiographies at all! ;D
Just not my thing, I suppose?

Admit it - you're far too busy helping other Rootschatters to have time for reading!  :D
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Scribble1952

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 March 17 17:17 GMT (UK) »
For me
I do read books I must admit
The cover is the first port of-
Call for me (has to be eye catching) :o
As for autobiographies I did use to enjoy the T.V Show
With Eamonn Andrews
This is your Life

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: 'True Life Stories' written by everyday people
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 March 17 00:16 GMT (UK) »
I have changed the title to 'True Life Stories' rather than  'biographies/autobiographies'
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 March 17 00:21 GMT (UK) »
I'm particularly interested in the history of the home, so I've read a few autobiographies of domestic servants. I really like reading about the sort of work they had to do.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 March 17 02:32 GMT (UK) »
Iluleah,

I wouldn't put myself in the category 'reader' although I do read a lot about different things for different reasons i.e. I have a wide range of preferences for that reason.

However, I noticed you changed the 'subject heading' & as it happens I have read Biographies/Autobiographies/True Life Stories.

Usually the Biographies/Autobiographies are of people I have seen in the public eye....George Best, Princess Di, Lorraine Kelly etc. but the 'True Life Stories' I have enjoyed are of normal everyday people & their experiences which were very interesting & captivating!

2 of which I recall from memory of a 'True Life Story' as 'normal people' are:

The hostage John McCarthy & how his fiancee Jill Morrell campaigned for him over several yrs, a delightful read although not an autobiography/biography;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Some-Other-Rainbow-John-McCarthy/dp/055213953X

This one is somewhat very different & about a little boy brought up by an alcoholic father which was an 'eye opener' & a good read as it gives an insight into abuse being possibly ignored by neighbours/friends/family or was it a case that people were just unaware?
Again, a delightful read although not an autobiography/biography;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Nipper-Heartbreaking-Violent-Childhood-Working-class/0007292597

If in a Library then everything is set out in categories although in Charity shops/Carboot sales etc. that may not be the case but if I can't see a category, I do look at the Title & Picture then read the preface (sometimes this is on the outer back cover).

I look for a quick read, not too drawn out with unnecessary interruptions going off track although I like to know where in geographical terms to give me a picture in my head to relate to.
I think if you can't relate to the person as you would with someone famous/infamous then having a focal point (area) helps me to understand better rather than someone from nowhere  ::) (not sure that make sense)?

I have enjoyed short 'True Life Stories' too which I have read in magazines such as Takeabreak, Readers Digest, People's Friend etc. all of which relate to many different aspects of peoples lives/suffering/shocks (like finding unknown siblings) & many other different topics, some of which we ourselves have suffered/enjoyed/been shocked/surprised etc.

If it says 'True Story' that initially is what interests me although I do tend to look for that written on the front cover.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 March 17 03:26 GMT (UK) »
They are generally not my thing I'm afraid.  ;)

I have never read an autobiography, but would consider a biography depending on the subject (someone preferably long gone).

I am however quite interested in historical diaries for the insight they give into the social history of the times in which they were written.

Though it doesn't fit in the category under discussion I did enjoy this book by one of our rootschat members:
https://www.amazon.com/Daddy-All-Mysteries-Parents-Secret/dp/0993177808
(I read the kindle version) It is easy to read and quite compelling - recommended.  :)

(I think you would like it Annie  ;) )