Author Topic: Ancestry DNA Circles  (Read 3902 times)

Offline rsel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry DNA Circles
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 April 17 11:43 BST (UK) »
Hi rsel, I am in the same situation as you. I have a known 3rd cousin and one 3rd cousin once removed, but no DNA circle.

Cheers, Ade.
Glad its not just me :-) 
Sellens - Sussex
Newham - Surrey
Wellington - Dagenham, Essex
Camp - South Essex
Wren - Essex
Livermore - Essex
Wane - Essex
Fisk - Essex / Suffolk
Bailey/Bayley - Sussex
Newton - Sussex
Funnell - Sussex
Streeter - Sussex
Coates - Sussex
Maisey - Surrey

Offline cardinalcanary

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 02 April 17 18:03 BST (UK) »
I do have a DNA circle. It seems to be me and one other that have the same 5th great grandfather plus a group of 9 others that all have the same 3rd great grandmother (the grand-daughter of our 5th great grandfather).

I do have my full tree linked.
Carter - Chilbolton, Hampshire
Clarke - Berkhamstead, Herts, Crowle, Lincolnshire
Gosden - Chertsey, Addlestone, Shalford, Wonersh
Aston (Ashton) - Blakeney, Gloucs
Elias - Wales
Miles - Llanelli, Breconshire or Monmouthshire
Howard - Horsell, Woking, Surrey
Sarchet and Le Lechure - Guernsey
Duckham - Plymouth, Devon
Stanyon - Rutland
Cannon - East London, Bethnal Green
Cannons - West Tytherley, Hampshire

Offline robertdpittman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 03 April 17 11:32 BST (UK) »
I think I cracked the code on getting Ancestry DNA circles created.  This is from the Ancestry website:

A DNA Circle will form around an ancestor in your family tree if your tree is public and linked to your DNA test, and if two or more of your DNA matches...

1. are DNA matches to you and to each other at a 2nd cousin level or further out
    2. have public family trees attached to their DNA tests; and
    3. share a common ancestor (according to their trees).

That means there must be 3 or more people that have the same common ancestor in their tree along with the DNA matches to that ancestor.  They must have at least three people with DNA profiles in their trees.  When I have been successful in getting DNA cousins to add the branch that contains me and my cousins to their tree, and I add those DNA cousins to my tree, a circle is created.  Once in a great while, Ancestry has created a circle when 2 people with DNA profiles are in the tree and the third branch is partially complete.  It is rare but it has happened.

By the way, even when the circles are created, it has been limited help.  It's a nice idea that I hope gets better.
McDonough
Morrissey
Day
Kelleher
Fogarty
Farrell

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Previously known as "neb_maat_re".
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 06 April 17 23:41 BST (UK) »
This is from the Ancestry website:

A DNA Circle will form around an ancestor in your family tree if your tree is public and linked to your DNA test, and if two or more of your DNA matches...

1. are DNA matches to you and to each other at a 2nd cousin level or further out
    2. have public family trees attached to their DNA tests; and
    3. share a common ancestor (according to their trees).

That means there must be 3 or more people that have the same common ancestor in their tree along with the DNA matches to that ancestor.

I appreciate this information comes from Ancestry, and it is certainly how I understood DNA Circles worked, but recently I had a new shaky leaf hint appear who turned out to be a 4C1R.  The next day two new DNA Circles appeared, one for each of the two common ancestors.  There are 4 members of each Circle - but the other two people are not DNA matches to me.  They are a pair of siblings who are 4C1R to me but neither of them is a DNA match to me.   I assume they must match the person who does match me.  I have asked the admin of my match if the other two match her, but I don't think he gets the question.

I have had other people tell me in the past they had Circles where some of the members were not a DNA match to them but did not think that was right until it happened to me.

Offline cardinalcanary

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 07 April 17 07:34 BST (UK) »
I thought one of the points of the circle was to pick up those relatives that aren't necessarily a DNA match to you but do match people that you match. They are still relatives but don't share your DNA.
Carter - Chilbolton, Hampshire
Clarke - Berkhamstead, Herts, Crowle, Lincolnshire
Gosden - Chertsey, Addlestone, Shalford, Wonersh
Aston (Ashton) - Blakeney, Gloucs
Elias - Wales
Miles - Llanelli, Breconshire or Monmouthshire
Howard - Horsell, Woking, Surrey
Sarchet and Le Lechure - Guernsey
Duckham - Plymouth, Devon
Stanyon - Rutland
Cannon - East London, Bethnal Green
Cannons - West Tytherley, Hampshire

Offline Conlin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Sacredness of colour and ornament - Book of Kells.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 09 April 17 08:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Towdlass,

I empathise when you say:

I find it confusing that when I look at my results I find someone with whom I am supposed to have a close link but their family tree isn't public ... I send them a message asking them to have a look at my tree and would they be kind enough to allow me to see theirs. I wait and I wait and they don't even bother to reply.

I'm totally in sympathy, I've experienced the same thing. Yet find myself acting the same way. No problem showing my DNA results, but I get antsy showing my family tree. Doubts about its accuracy, or something else, I don't know. I suppose I feel I just don't know enough yet.

Regards,

Conlin

Offline rsel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 09 April 17 08:36 BST (UK) »
but I get antsy showing my family tree. Doubts about its accuracy, or something else, I don't know. I suppose I feel I just don't know enough yet.

Hi Conlin,
   But that's one of the benefits of sharing your tree. if you are worried about the accuracy, sharing it will help validate it :-)  Yes, you will get some people with incorrect or plain right stupid trees linking to you. I had one person from the US linking to my great grandmother despite having a photo attached showing she was white and was in the UK to there tree that had there relative in the US with all the records listing her as coloured (race was included on early US census), but I have also found a few 3rd/4th cousins that have been a great help pulling together a solid picture on our shared family lines, through the different knowledge we have.

Richard
Sellens - Sussex
Newham - Surrey
Wellington - Dagenham, Essex
Camp - South Essex
Wren - Essex
Livermore - Essex
Wane - Essex
Fisk - Essex / Suffolk
Bailey/Bayley - Sussex
Newton - Sussex
Funnell - Sussex
Streeter - Sussex
Coates - Sussex
Maisey - Surrey

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 09 April 17 09:56 BST (UK) »
I am confused as I have a private tree and both my parents have tested, yet both have had DNA circles emerge. My father's DNA circle just disappeared after a while ??? My mother now has a DNA circle. I don't have the people in either parents' DNA circle on my tree. Completely baffled.
Have had some luck with shared matching, but wouldn't come up as a DNA circle as some of the public tree information seems wrong, otherwise I would not be able to link us all together.

Offline Conlin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Sacredness of colour and ornament - Book of Kells.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 10 April 17 18:33 BST (UK) »
Hi rsel,

Thanks for the encouragement. You really do state it bottomline:

But that's one of the benefits of sharing your tree. if you are worried about the accuracy, sharing it will help validate it :-) rsel

I must agree, but:

Yes, you will get some people with incorrect or plain right stupid trees linking to you. rsel

So I want a bit more certaintly before I share. To some extent I've plugged in potenial ancestors to see if they themselves pull out confirmations. I know which they are but they could be misleading to other people if hey think the link is confirmed.

Cheers,
Conlin