Author Topic: Getting sidetracked by something you've seen  (Read 4258 times)

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
Re: Getting sidetracked by something you've seen
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 19 March 17 17:25 GMT (UK) »

We wouldn't be doing it if we didn't!!
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 19 March 17 17:44 GMT (UK) »
So true ... just got sidetracked myself by a link to a song-lyric site, and found myself hunting out the lyrics of a song I recall from the 1960s, - quite why i can't think, but ... it's what you do, isn't it?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 19 March 17 17:52 GMT (UK) »

It's so true, I have often gotten sidetracked and ended up researching something that has nothing to do with genealogy and then wonder how I got there ::) ;D Must have been a reason for it when I started out, but it often isn't even the first digression, it may be a tangent or two down the line ::) ;D ;D
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 19 March 17 18:35 GMT (UK) »
I'm always getting sidelined by something I discover, and from very idle curiosity have climbed up and down the trees of only distantly related people, in more detail than I really needed to. But - isn't that just the way we are all wired up? Insatiable curiosity!

Guilty  ;D 
Problem is they are the ones in my tree who were either very good, ie all lining up to be married, baptised and buried tidily...or...were a bit naughty and ended up first in the magistrates court and then in the papers. ;D ;D   
Found one today, cousin umpteen times removed accused of nicking a pair of trousers, a vest, a door mat and a  cup and saucer from his sister whom he was lodging with.  It might sound  funny today but in the 1880's it was a big enough deal for her to have him arrested.
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 20 March 17 07:42 GMT (UK) »

I noticed in one line of the family a surprising amount of "premature"::) births so of course got sidetracked looking at other branches of it to see how prevalent it was and there were many, right down to the most recent that I can trace. ::) ;D ;D 

Offline GUT

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 20 March 17 07:45 GMT (UK) »
I'm always getting sidelined by something I discover, and from very idle curiosity have climbed up and down the trees of only distantly related people, in more detail than I really needed to. But - isn't that just the way we are all wired up? Insatiable curiosity!

Guilty  ;D 
Problem is they are the ones in my tree who were either very good, ie all lining up to be married, baptised and buried tidily...or...were a bit naughty and ended up first in the magistrates court and then in the papers. ;D ;D   
Found one today, cousin umpteen times removed accused of nicking a pair of trousers, a vest, a door mat and a  cup and saucer from his sister whom he was lodging with.  It might sound  funny today but in the 1880's it was a big enough deal for her to have him arrested.

And at one time enough to get him a free cruise to Australia.
Gorton
Payne
Cornwallis
Duncombe
Rennex
Praeger

Offline Chilternbirder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 20 March 17 08:31 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone else ever finds themselves looking at records and getting sidetracked by people who are nothing to do with you or your research?
Since I took an Ancestry subscription I have found myself researching collateral branches in more detail than I would on PAYG and occasionally, if the records have been good, taken back the lines of great aunts' spouses a generation or two.
Crabb from Laurencekirk / Fordoun and Scurry from mid Essex

Online Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 20 March 17 21:52 GMT (UK) »
    Also guilty! Spend several hours chasing someone quite unrelated, then wonder what on earth I am doing. The tale I posted in the Common Room yesterday was a case in point, caused by looking at old newspapers.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 20 March 17 23:09 GMT (UK) »
I can relate to some of these stories too....especially when looking at the1939 register for relies....I then looked at the neighbours on the same road or street to see whether there were relatives living close by....I ended up looking at census addresses from the 1911 to see who lived there in 1939.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU