Author Topic: Aspley Guise, Bedfordshire LOOKUP request fro HUTTON  (Read 14584 times)

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Aspley Guise, Bedfordshire LOOKUP request fro HUTTON
« Reply #36 on: Monday 27 March 17 12:18 BST (UK) »
No doubt Sandy has a better idea of Henry James Cooper Hutton's tree than I do but I'll post what I think it is (with a bit of a re-cap), gleaned from the parish records and the wills in the Beds. archive.

1. Henry James Cooper Hutton
Son of John Hutton (farmer) & Elizabeth Norris, baptised 1824 Aspley Guise

2. John Hutton
John son of Joseph Hutton (farmer) & Elizabeth Cooper, baptised 1791 Husborne Crawley.
John married Elizabeth Norris 1824 Ridgmont
Elizabeth Norris daughter of Roger & Elizabeth, baptised 1801 Ridgmont.
Elizabeth died 1851, buried at Rdigmont
John married 1861 at London Colney to Mary Ann Ellis.
John died 1863 and buried at London Colney.

John and Elizabeth had children Henry James Cooper and Elizabeth Emma.

Reference: R6/2/8/20; Date free text: 11 Oct 1866
Declaration of John Green of Woburn, gentleman that:
- he knew John Hutton, late of Aspley Guise, farmer, father of Henry James Cooper Hutton of Pietermaritzberg, South Africa;
- he acted as solicitor for John Hutton from 1825 until his death;
- he had spoken to him about making a will but he believed he had never made one and had died intestate
http://bedsarchivescat.bedford.gov.uk/Details/archive/110085143

3. Joseph Hutton
Joseph son of John Hutton and Sarah Bateman, baptised 1753 Husborne Crawley
Joseph married Elizabeth Cooper, 1787 Aspley Guise
Elizabeth died 1803, buried at Aspley Guise
Joseph married Sarah Coleman 1807 Aspley Guise
Joseph died 1821, aged 68, buried at Aspley Guise
Sarah died 1829, aged 60, buried at Aspley Guise

Joseph and Elizabeth had children Sarah (x2), John (x2) and Elizabeth.

Reference: R6/2/8/7; Date free text: 1814-1822
Will of 19 Nov 1814 of Joseph Hutton of Aspley Guise, yeoman:
http://bedsarchivescat.bedford.gov.uk/Details/archive/110085130

Joseph names wife Sarah, names only son John and names married sisters Ann (Harmsden), Mary (Bogg) and Kitty (Sibley).

4. John Hutton
John (likely) son of Joseph Hutton and Catherine Banbury, no baptism found
John married Sarah Bateman 1752 Husborne Crawley
John died 1764, buried at Aspley Guise
Sarah died 1783, buried at Aspley Guise (recorded as widow)

John and Sarah had children Joseph, Ann, Mary, Thomas and Kitty (first 3 baptised at Husborne Crawley and last 2 at Aspley Guise).

5. Joseph Hutton
Possible father of John, who married Sarah Bateman.
Joseph (of Stevington) married Catherine Banbury 1732 Husborne Crawley
Joseph died 1758, buried at Aspley Guise (recorded as Mr)
Catherine died 1759, buried at Aspley Guise (recorded as Mrs)

Reference: R6/2/8/5; Date free text: 16 Dec 1758
Copy Will of Joseph Hutton of Aspley Guise, gentleman:
http://bedsarchivescat.bedford.gov.uk/Details/archive/110085128

Joseph names wife Catherine, names brother Henry and names sons John and Joseph.

No baptisms could be found for children of Joseph and Catherine.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 27 March 17 12:27 BST (UK) »
Very well documented cuffie81.

Although this is my lineage I have yet to get it into families etc.

At the mo I am trying to do 3 trees for folk but I have tried to find some info this
morning which I posted on the Beds board for Sue, and will look further when I get home.

Thanks

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline suepearce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 27 March 17 13:26 BST (UK) »
Excellently put Cuffie.  Thanks once again for you input.

A little more on Arthur Hutton, brother of my Adam, who went to the gold fields in Victoria, Australia .  I now have most of the BDMs for him, his wife and all his children.  He seems mostly to be a Quartzminer/Quartzreefer there.  He is definitely the son of John Hutton oo Elizabeth Cripps, (Mothers maiden name given on his marriage Cert) He is not John Hutton, son of Joseph and Sarah, who married Elizabeth Norris first, and then Mary Ann Ellis.

Hi Sue.

You can find them on familysearch.org.  :)

Have you read this about the family.

http://www.mkheritage.co.uk/wsc/docs/Weathercock.html

Sandy

Hi Sandy, thanks, and yes,  Cuffie pointed me to this article.  Wonderful.  Seems these are my Huttons.
It's the Susannah that gives the clue as 4 of my 5 hutton siblings (Frederick, Henry, Adam and Arthur) appear in the 1841 census in Aspley Guise with Susannah Hutton.  I noticed they are living at Church End - which I see is a little above and between Aspley Guise and Husborne Crawley......

Adam emigrated to South Africa in 1850. 

Can you point me to the board where you posted that Hutton Family Tree?   Much appreciated.

Kind rgds
Sue

Offline suepearce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 27 March 17 14:04 BST (UK) »
I found your post Sandy.  Thanks.
Sue

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 27 March 17 16:20 BST (UK) »
Okay I have now found some more info.

Arthur Hutton married Margaret Wisheart in Castlemaine in 1858.

Margaret was born in Dublin abt. 1838 to Alexander Wisheart and Mary Ann Fields.

Children were
Arthur Alexander Hutton died 1860
Jessie Caroline Hutton 1861 married Lauritz Jorgenson in 1884.
Mary Ann Hutton 1863 married Frederick Pederson 1886
John Henry Hutton 1865 died 1867
Elizabeth Wisheart Hutton 1869 died 1874
Margaret Hutton  1871 died 1871

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 27 March 17 20:48 BST (UK) »
I can't help but wonder whether there's a gap in the available records. As good as the BFHS transcripts are they peter out in the 1830s and onwards in many parishes. I suspect quite a few births and deaths went unregistered (particularly deaths), so combined with the limited parish transcripts, there may be deaths that are unavailable online and that getting access to the parish records may identify more and make it easier to connect the dots.

Also, if you haven't done so already, it's worth having a look through the MK Heritage website as there's all manner of information on there. You might not find anything that helps connect the dots between various Huttons but it's interesting reading never the less.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=site%3Amkheritage.co.uk+hutton&t=hc&ia=web

Sue, I've had a look through the BFHS surname index for Elizabeth Cripps and there's no obvious record for her in the area. I've checked various spellings of Cripps but no joy. There are a lot of Cripps about though so it may take someone a bit of work to figure out who she is.

PS: I hope I didn't send you off on too many wild goose chases re. Arthur.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 27 March 17 21:20 BST (UK) »
Sue before you go ordering certificates I can see if I have them.

Just list whose you want, or you can message me if you would prefer too.

Sandy

Census Crown Copyright

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 27 March 17 23:12 BST (UK) »
It looks like Frederick Hutton, brother of Adam, met a sad end...

Northampton Mercury 06 January 1893
Aspley Guise
SAD SUICIDE OF MR FREDERICK HUTTON

Last Friday morning, Mr. Frederick Hutton, a builder, Woburn Sands, committed suicide by hanging himself in the stable of Westridge. The deceased had been for some months engaged in building a new wing to the house, and he had got rather behind in the time he had allowed. It was noticed that Mr. Hutton had been in a rather depressed condition for the past few years, but no one had the slightest idea that the aged and respected man contemplated suicide. An inquest was held on Friday evening at the Duke's head, Aspley Guise, before Mr. F. T. Tanqueray, and after hearing evidence from Frederick Hutton (the deceased son), Thomas Henry Hayter, Harry Sharp, John Atterbury, and P.C. Askew, the jury returned a verdict of "Suicide whilst in a state of temporary insanity." The deceased was 75 years old and much sympathy is expressed for his aged widow and family.

Offline suepearce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 28 March 17 06:01 BST (UK) »
Sandy - thanks for the Aus info on Arthur and family, there were a few I had missed.
Also, thanks very much for the GRO offer - I'll sort the list and let you know.   It's frustrating having to wait 4-6 weeks for them to arrive here in Johannesburg :)

I can't help but wonder whether there's a gap in the available records. As good as the BFHS transcripts are they peter out in the 1830s and onwards in many parishes. I suspect quite a few births and deaths went unregistered (particularly deaths), so combined with the limited parish transcripts, there may be deaths that are unavailable online and that getting access to the parish records may identify more and make it easier to connect the dots........................

..................Sue, I've had a look through the BFHS surname index for Elizabeth Cripps and there's no obvious record for her in the area. I've checked various spellings of Cripps but no joy. There are a lot of Cripps about though so it may take someone a bit of work to figure out who she is.

PS: I hope I didn't send you off on too many wild goose chases re. Arthur.

Hello Cuffie - yes, I agree that much is not available online.  I find this every time I look at the microfilms of the actual records.  I will be going on Thursday to look at the films.  The film for Wavendon is here, and I can look at the film for Aspley Guise online  here at the FHCentre.  I'll also see about getting the film for Elizabeth Cripps.

Thanks also for the info on Frederick Hutton's suicide.  How sad.  I wonder if there was any contact between the brothers - so far away from each other.  Adam ins SA and Arthur in AUS were both dead by this time.  Not sure about Henry.   Regarding the AUS records, no  - no wild goose chase there.  I was fascinated to be back in the Australian goldfields.  So many of Arthurs children died very young.   I was also interested to read,here in South AFrica, that many immgrants who came to the Natal Colony could not make a go of it and sailed on to Melbourne to make their way to the Australian Goldfields.
I'll take a look at the Bedford link in a bit.

Thanks again for the generous help.
Sue