Author Topic: Aspley Guise, Bedfordshire LOOKUP request fro HUTTON  (Read 14741 times)

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
Re: Aspley Guise, Bedfordshire LOOKUP request fro HUTTON
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 28 March 17 10:11 BST (UK) »
Sue I have P.M. you.  :)

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline suepearce

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 03 April 17 12:37 BST (UK) »
[/i]
No doubt Sandy has a better idea of Henry James Cooper Hutton's tree than I do but I'll post what I think it is (with a bit of a re-cap), gleaned from the parish records and the wills in the Beds. archive.

1. Henry James Cooper Hutton
Son of John Hutton (farmer) & Elizabeth Norris, baptised 1824 Aspley Guise

2. John Hutton
John son of Joseph Hutton (farmer) & Elizabeth Cooper, baptised 1791 Husborne Crawley.
John married Elizabeth Norris 1824 Ridgmont
Elizabeth Norris daughter of Roger & Elizabeth, baptised 1801 Ridgmont.
Elizabeth died 1851, buried at Rdigmont
John married 1861 at London Colney to Mary Ann Ellis.
John died 1863 and buried at London Colney.

John and Elizabeth had children Henry James Cooper and Elizabeth Emma.

Reference: R6/2/8/20; Date free text: 11 Oct 1866
Declaration of John Green of Woburn, gentleman that:
- he knew John Hutton, late of Aspley Guise, farmer, father of Henry James Cooper Hutton of Pietermaritzberg, South Africa;
- he acted as solicitor for John Hutton from 1825 until his death;
- he had spoken to him about making a will but he believed he had never made one and had died intestate
http://bedsarchivescat.bedford.gov.uk/Details/archive/110085143

3. Joseph Hutton
Joseph son of John Hutton and Sarah Bateman, baptised 1753 Husborne Crawley
Joseph married Elizabeth Cooper, 1787 Aspley Guise
Elizabeth died 1803, buried at Aspley Guise
Joseph married Sarah Coleman 1807 Aspley Guise
Joseph died 1821, aged 68, buried at Aspley Guise
Sarah died 1829, aged 60, buried at Aspley Guise

Joseph and Elizabeth had children Sarah (x2), John (x2) and Elizabeth.

Reference: R6/2/8/7; Date free text: 1814-1822
Will of 19 Nov 1814 of Joseph Hutton of Aspley Guise, yeoman:
http://bedsarchivescat.bedford.gov.uk/Details/archive/110085130

Joseph names wife Sarah, names only son John and names married sisters Ann (Harmsden), Mary (Bogg) and Kitty (Sibley).

4. John Hutton
John (likely) son of Joseph Hutton and Catherine Banbury, no baptism found
John married Sarah Bateman 1752 Husborne Crawley
John died 1764, buried at Aspley Guise
Sarah died 1783, buried at Aspley Guise (recorded as widow)

John and Sarah had children Joseph, Ann, Mary, Thomas and Kitty (first 3 baptised at Husborne Crawley and last 2 at Aspley Guise).

5. Joseph Hutton
Possible father of John, who married Sarah Bateman.
Joseph (of Stevington) married Catherine Banbury 1732 Husborne Crawley
Joseph died 1758, buried at Aspley Guise (recorded as Mr)
Catherine died 1759, buried at Aspley Guise (recorded as Mrs)

Reference: R6/2/8/5; Date free text: 16 Dec 1758
Copy Will of Joseph Hutton of Aspley Guise, gentleman:
http://bedsarchivescat.bedford.gov.uk/Details/archive/110085128

Joseph names wife Catherine, names brother Henry and names sons John and Joseph.

No baptisms could be found for children of Joseph and Catherine.

................I'd like to add some (more) thoughts and observations to Cuffie's brilliant summary.  I will continue in a separate post..............

Offline suepearce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 03 April 17 12:40 BST (UK) »

Regarding Mary Ann Ellis:
Something I picked up trawling through the census records for Aspley Guise:   A Mary Ann Ellis is bapt 16 April 1843 in Aspley Guise (parents William and Elizabeth). in the 1851 census she is 11 yrs old (est birth 1840) and living with her family (father is William H Ellis) at 77 East Street.  John Hutton (45), * 1796,  above is living with his wife Elizabeth at 95 East Street so they probably know the Ellis family.   Elizabeth Hutton dies the year of the census - 1851.   It appears that Mary Ann has an illigit. daughter, Sarah Eliz Ellis in 1859 in Aspley Guise - she is 16 (no father stated). 2 years later in 1861 she marries John Hutton in London. She is 18 though she states she is 23.  John Hutton is 61 and states he is 55!! The marriage might have been good for both of them, despite the age gap of almost 40 years!    John dies 2 years later in 1863 at 67.  Mary Ann marries Joseph Dickenson the next year. *****

Regarding the "two"HUTTON Families in the area at a similar time: 

JOSEPH HUTTON (oo Elizabeth Cooper) has only the one son, John in 1796 who marries Elizabeth Norris and  has 2 children.   Henry James Cooper (John's maternal grandfathers name is James Cooper (ABM1787/32b - Joseph Hutton intending to marry Eliz Cooper).  The second child is Elizabeth Emma.  Presume she dies young as I can't find any more on her.  Henry James Cooper Hutton sails from London on the "Edward" for the Natal Colony in Jan 1850. He marries and settles there.

MICHAEL HUTTON ( oo Elizabeth N?) of the WEATHERCOCK INN has the following children, all baptised in Wavendon:
19 Mar 1775 Baptism - William Hutton
02 Mar 1777 Baptism - Michael Hutton
17 Dec 1780 Baptism - Elizabeth Hutton (prob dies young)
01 May 1785 Baptism - Susannah Hutton
07 Sep 1788 Baptism - JOHN Hutton
16 Jan 1791 Baptism - Mary Hutton
09 Dec 1792 Baptism - James Hutton
08 Jun 1794 Baptism - Francis Hutton (Prob dies young).

All the surviving issue above , except JOHN!!,  appear in the early census records, some are married and many  of their children also appear.   (I am putting all this together).

I am most interested in JOHN (b 1788) who marries Elizabeth CRIPPS, from Cranfield, in 1817.  (Mothers name stated at son Arthur's marriage in Australia) They have the following children-
Frederick *1819, Caroline *1821, Henry *1821 (twins?), ADAM *1825 and Arthur *1826.   All the children are baptised on the same day, 27 March 1826 (just after Arthur's birth).  Johns occupation is stated a "Miller".  (There was a mill behind the Weathercock Inn, and one near Cranfield).

In the 1841 Wavendon Census Caroline is living in a house with 7 other young women in Dunstable, just 10 miles away and her four brothers are living in Church End (Woburn Sands) with their maiden aunts Susannah and Mary Hutton.  Susannah is a farmer.  There is no mention of their parents John and Elizabeth.  They don't appear anywhere in the 1841 census. So, where did they go????  Did they both die sometime before 1841? perhaps even as early as 1826? hence the sudden baptism of all the children together??? I have no idea, just supposition.

Frederick, Caroline and Henry marry and stay in the area.  Adam sails for the Natal Colony on the "Minerva" only a few months after Henry James Cooper above.  Arthur appears in the 1851 Census lodging with sister Caroline.  He emigrates to Australia in the few years and he marries there in 1858.

I think it is pretty clear who the two couples, John Hutton oo Elizabeth, are.  If the two Johns are connected  at all, via their fathers (Michael and Joseph) perhaps, I have not found the connection yet.  Maybe it's there way back somewhere, there are so many Huttons around .....my head is already spinning!  Maybe they are just two families with the same name living in the same area at the same time.

Sue  :)

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 00:16 BST (UK) »
Re. John Hutton and Elizabeth Cripps they are a bit of a mystery as there's very little sign of them. I still think that death registration in 1845 is worth looking into though, as I haven't come across any other Elizabeth Huttons who it could be. If she is the wife of John (the miller) it would hopefully indicate whether John was still alive or not.

GRO BMDs references:
1845 Q2 Death - Elizabeth Hutton 51 (est b1794) Woburn 06  82

Re. Michael Hutton and Elizabeth, I think there's a likely marriage for them:
09 Aug 1774 Little Linford, Bucks; Michael Hutton (of Wavendon) & Elizabeth Teagle

As for Michael's death, his will was proved 3rd February 1808, so he could have (probably?) died in 1807 which brings us to a death/burial reference in FamilySearch that I'm dubious about.

The FamilySearch record is for a baptism of Michael Hutton in 1806 Newport Pagnell, son of Michael and Ann. The record has an associated death date of 1807 but no age. I'm convinced that this child did not die and went on to marry Jane Smart (1829 Ridgmont) so is this death reference to another Michael Hutton, possibly his grandfather (ie husband of Elizabeth, who is known to have died about 1808)? Getting access to the Newport Pagnell parish records may be the only way to determine whether this death is the child Michael, or another Michael, if it has an age recorded.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NPRL-BJW

Re. sons of Michael and Elizabeth, Michael and William, there's some clear marriages for them and it appears they both had daughters named Susanna and it's possible (at a stretch) either of these could have been the Susanna on the 1841 census with Adam and his siblings.

Marriages:
01 Mar 1802 Aspley Guise - Wm Hutton (bach) & Ann Rookes (spin of Wavenden)
23 Sep 1799 Stony Stratford - Michael Hutton & Anne Grimmet

Baptisms:
22 Apr 1810 Apsley Guise - Susnh Hutton, dau of Wm & Ann; labr
29 Jul 1819 Aspley Guise - Sus Hutton, dau of Mich & Ann; wheelwright

As noted previously Susannah, daughter of William & Ann, married Joseph Morris Day. Given her age this Susanna is the best match for the 1841 census record but Joseph and Susanna were in Bedford on the 1841 census, so she can be ruled out.

Susanna, daughter of Michael & Ann, looks to have married John Thomas Stratford in 1837 and they look to have moved to Marylebone, Middlesex, so she too can be ruled out as the Susanna on the 1841 census. It looks as if Susanna was widowed quite soon and later re-married to Edward Evans; on the marriage register she names her father as Michael Hutton, millwright.

The census references which I could find for Susanna give her birth place as either Aspley or Woburn Sands. Her age fluctuates a bit but she looks a good match.

Census references:
1841 Ref HO107; Piece 677; Book 11; Folio 10; Page 15; [???]
1851 Ref HO107; Piece 1490; Folio 716; Page 47;
1861 Ref RG09; Piece 126; Folio 10; Page 18;
1891 Ref RG12; Piece 152; Folio 37; Page 28;

GRO BMD references:
1837 Q4 Marriage - Susanna Hutton & John Thomas Stratford; Woburn 6 177
1838 Q2 Birth - John Stratford (mmn: Hutton); Marylebone 01 122
1839 Q1 Death - John Thomas Stratford; 22* (est b1817);   Marylebone 01 133
1850 Q3 Marriage - Susanna Stratford & Edward Evans; Marylebone 1 217
1851 Q2 Birth - George Evans (mmn: Hutton); Marylebone 01 189
1860 Q1 Birth - James Evans (mmn: Hutton); East London 01c 6

Coming back to that 1841 census record, with Adam, his siblings, and Susannah and Mary, it really does look like Susannah and Mary are the (unmarried) daughters of Michael and Elizabeth, as I can't see any other Susanna (or Mary) that it could be (despite the age discrepancy). If you get lucky death certs. for spinsters can sometimes include the name and occupation of their fathers.

I found a few other newspaper references for the Huttons. Another re. Frederick's death (with more details) and one for his funeral. A couple of references to Michael Hutton, son of Michael & Ann, re. non-support of his ageing mother and non-payment of charges for his wife (Jane?) in the lunatic asylum. There's also a couple of references to a John Hutton in Woburn in 1841 (charged with assault) and 1843 (victim of assault) but no indication of age or occupation so unclear which John. If anyone wants me to transcribe these and post them let me know.

None of this is much use in pinning down Adam's parents (sorry) but may help somewhat in connecting the Hutton dots.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline suepearce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 06:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much Cuffie!
I'll take a little time to absorb all this and fit it in to what I have gleaned so far.
I would really appreciate transcriptions of the newspaper references you mention.
Till later
Thanks again
Sue

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 09:07 BST (UK) »
John Hutton

Northampton Mercury 29 May 1841
Woburn - Petty Sessions, May 21
John Hutton and Thomas Daniels, of Aspley Guise, were charged by Sarah Goodall, of the same place, with assaulting her on the 4th of May. Several witnesses were examined on both sides, and the complainant having been proved to have herself provoked the assault, the case dismissed. And the costs were ordered to be paid by the plaintiff in 14 days.

Northampton Mercury 02 Jul 1842
Aspley Heath:
Two poor men named Thomas and Wm. Daniel, were charged with assaulting John Hutton, of Aspley Guise. The case originated in the dispute concerning the rights of the Heath. The Daniels have for a long time past been in the habit of digging Fuller's earth from the Heath, and they were so engaged when Mr. Hutton came with two other men, and commenced filling in the pit. The Daniels accordingly flung some shovels-full of sand over Hutton, which constituted the assault complained of. Some difference of opinion was expressed by the two magistrates as to the mode of dealing with the offence. Mr. Smith thought the assault had been provoked by Hutton, for the poor had, for upwards of 50 years, been allowed to dig Fuller's earth on the Heath; and Mr. Cooper said they were not trying the question of the rights of the Heath, but an assault. - The bench ultimately fined the Daniels 1s., and costs, amounting to 9s. 6d., to be paid by 22nd of July.

Michael Hutton

Northampton Mercury 20 February 1847
Woburn - Petty Sessions, Feb 12
Before Lord Charles Russell, the Rev. E. O. Smith, the Rev. J. Vuax Moore, and Henry Charles Hoare, Esq.

Refusal to contribute towards the support of a parent:
Michael Hutton of Aspley Guise, was summoned by order of the Woburn Board of Poor Law Guardians to show cause why he refused to support his aged mother. The defendant, who was something more than a labourer, and without any family of his own, heartlessly refused to allow her the smallest trifle. Order to be served upon him.

The Bedford Times & Bedfordshire Independent
Tuesday July 5, 1859

Petty Sessions, July 1st 1859
Present: Rev. E. O Smith, W. L. Smart, and C. H. Smith, Esqs.

Michael Hutton, of Aspley Guise, carpenter, was summoned charged with non-payment of arrears, under an order made upon him to contribute 4s. 6d. per week toward the support of his wife, who is in a lunatic asylum; The defendant alleged, as a reason why he could not pay the money, that he had to help a maintain the children of a widow woman, in whose house he was living; the bench said it was a very bad case and were committing him to the house of correction for three months, when the defendant promised he would keep up his payments reguarly, and pay 1s. 6d. per week off the arrears, amounting to £8 0s. 6d., upon which agreement he was discharged.

The Bedford Times & Bedfordshire Independent
Tuesday Feb 24, 1863

Woburn - Petty Sessions, Feb 20
Present: Revs. E. O. Smith and J. V. Moore; W. C. Cooper, C. H. Smith, and S. G. Paynes, Esqs

A warrant of distress was issued against the goods of Michael Hutton, for arrears due to the union for the maintenance of his wife in the lunatic asylum.

(I'll post the others later today)
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline suepearce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 09:57 BST (UK) »
Very interesting. Will check against the dates etc I have.  Thank you for your trouble Cuffie.
Sue

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 11:02 BST (UK) »
I thought I would take a look at the information since been posted and was surprised to see
quite a lot of it I had already given to Sue in e-mails.

It seems as if we are duplicating information, never mind two heads is better than one.  :)

I found a paper family tree of the Huttons someone gave me years ago which goes back to the 1600's on 5 A1 size pieces.

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 11:19 BST (UK) »
To confirm some of the information.

John 1796 son of Joseph married Elizabeth Cripps not Elizabeth Norris.

GRO BMDs references:
1845 Q2 Death - Elizabeth Hutton 51 (est b1794) Woburn 06  82

This Elizabeth is the wife of James and Sue has this info.

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright