Author Topic: Any info on Leonard Keighley?  (Read 1361 times)

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Any info on Leonard Keighley?
« on: Sunday 19 March 17 13:20 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for any information on Leonard Keighley, who may have been born in Rylstone.

I have his marriage and children, I will list them below -

Married Margaret Mann 1573 in Rylstone.

Children: Alice b. 1577,  John b. 1580, Thomas b. 1582 and Richard b. 1585 (all Rylstone)

When searching, I can not find any birth for a Leonard Keighley or Kighley (how it is sometimes spelt). Some family trees have his parents as Henry Keighley and Elizabeth Osbaldeston, but I can't find any record to support this.

I have yet to find his parents, and any information would be appreciated.
Bolingbroke (Norfolk & Suffolk) Chittleburgh (Yorkshire & Norfolk) Dawson (Essex & Hertfordshire) Donkin (Newcastle & Durham) Gregg (Lancashire & Cumbria) Johnson (Lancashire) Spalding (Norfolk) Stannard - (Essex & Norfolk)

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
Re: Any info on Leonard Keighley?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 March 17 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this is helpful or not, but have you searched under the spelling Keithlee or Keithley?

I've no idea where you are based so you may already be aware of this or not, but modern day Keighley the place is pronounced 'keithlee' by locals. So maybe if people taking the records were writing things phonetically, it might have been written like that sometimes?

I know that pronunciations change over time, sometimes drastically, so I don't know if that was the case in the 1500s.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply, I have looked and can't find anything - I know they didn't always register births back then, I think that's what happened.
Bolingbroke (Norfolk & Suffolk) Chittleburgh (Yorkshire & Norfolk) Dawson (Essex & Hertfordshire) Donkin (Newcastle & Durham) Gregg (Lancashire & Cumbria) Johnson (Lancashire) Spalding (Norfolk) Stannard - (Essex & Norfolk)

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 17:35 GMT (UK) »
It may be that you won't find any baptism records for Leonard - church records for Rylstone and the mother parish of Burnsall are only available from 1559.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY