Author Topic: Writing up notes on possible leads.  (Read 2175 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: Writing up notes on possible leads.
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 20 May 17 12:56 BST (UK) »
I use my normal family history software to deal with this situation. If the stuff I find later links in to my regular tree, I can then just merge it in. I can have as many such projects as I like.

It helps that the software I use lets me have disconnected data and link things together later. Events can be entered in any order. Then I can link, say, a baptism event to the people from a marriage event.

I started doing this when trying to sort out all the people with a surname from a particular area so that I could sort out which branch were mine. Later I used the same technique to deal with my Donbavand branch, then realised that by the time I had sorted out my branch, I had a one-name study on my hands.

Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 13:48 BST (UK) »
My write ups are more like a blog.

It is very likely that the 1694 Susan Riches is the one who wed Henry Helsdon in 1725 as her parents lived in a neighbouring parish in Norwich and the parishes were quite small and compact. And the Isaac Riches, father of Susan lived in the area my Susan Riches married in 1725. There is a small element of doubt as Riches is a well known surname in Norfolk but luckily she had a first name that was not as common as the usual Elizabeth, Mary or Ann's. Also the Susan Riches born 1694 seemed to survive past infancy and I cannot find a marriage other than to Hen Helsdon that could be her. That is where you have to keep a note but keep digging to see if you can confirm this. I can find no trace of a will for Isaac but Isaac very likely had a brother Edmund, a baker who did leave a will as did his son. Small chance they mentioned a niece or cousin.

This is just one such ancestral case which I am writing up on.

Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 15:27 BST (UK) »
Coombs,

The good thing about excel is when using ages against dates you can do your arithmetic to work out year of birth etc. (no need for a calculator) & give columns names, keeping everything tidy without having to manipulate everything on word to line up.

My own preference of course & great for putting in either alphabetical or numerical order at the click of a button.

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 20:33 BST (UK) »
Coombs,

The good thing about excel is when using ages against dates you can do your arithmetic to work out year of birth etc. (no need for a calculator) & give columns names, keeping everything tidy without having to manipulate everything on word to line up.

My own preference of course & great for putting in either alphabetical or numerical order at the click of a button.

Annie

Yes that is one of the advantages of Excel. Saves having to sort it out yourself.

As we all know that as we get back before 1800 the waters tend to get murkier. Info given in records vary greatly before 1813. Sometimes a burial can give age, occupation and even a maiden name for a woman whereas others just given the usual date of burial and name. Witnesses to marriages 1754 onwards often were regular ones and of no use for FH, or seem to be from the side of the traceable spouse getting married. My ancestor Thos Newman wed his first wife in 1816. Thomas died in 1832 in Essex. His first wedding had witnesses from his wife's side and the second seemed to have one from the wife's side and a regular one. Newman is a common name as well.

You may hit paydirt on some lines and be able to get back to the 1500s and on other lines seem to hit a 1790-1800 brickwall that even James Bond would not be able to knock down.
Researching:

DORSET Coombs, Munday
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
USA Musgrave, Saix

Offline stitchwitch

• RootsChat Member
  • Creature of impulse with dodgy improbability drive
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 04 June 17 21:17 BST (UK) »
Coombs,

Annie

To be utterly infuriating now, did you know you can do that in Word if you set up a table? <ducks head and scuttles out of reach>
Powell Barber Dyke Overton
Heywood Crimes Parsonage Hargrave Sheard Wild

Madness is hereditary, you get it from your children!

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 05 June 17 15:21 BST (UK) »
Well I went to check the wills of Edmund and his son Edmund Riches and they only mention children and spouses. I did suspect that but wanted to check to see if there was a chance of mentioning nieces or cousins.

Norwich does seem to have land and window tax records for 1710-1730 which could help me track Isaac Riches to see when he moved from St Stephens parish to the adjacent All Saints/Timberhill. I shall check those next time. (isaac being the father of Susan born 1694 in Norwich).

Luckily for me my Susan Riches who wed Henry Helsdon in 1725 in All Saints/Timberhill seems to have had a less common forename even if Riches is quite popular in Norfolk.

Researching:

DORSET Coombs, Munday
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
USA Musgrave, Saix