Author Topic: James Flynn Armagh 1903  (Read 3681 times)

Offline richardanthony

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Flynn Armagh 1903
« on: Sunday 19 March 17 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Trying to find details of my grandfather James Flynn and grand mother Mary Caldwell. From his service records in the pioneer corps he was born on 1 August 1903. Would like to confirm birth dates and parents names etc.
My father was Thomas James Flynn [deceased]. He was born at Gillis Row [off Loughlea Road] on 14/03/1929. His parents were James Flynn and Mary Cauldwell. [may be spelt as calwell, caldwell, culwell etc]
 He was married to Mary Cauldwell on 5th November 1928 at St Patricks Armagh aged 25 years and was a labourer living at Primrose Hill [Primrose street]. His father was also called James Flynn and was deceased at the time he got married. Mary Cauldwell was 24 years old and was living at Gillis Row and her father was Thomas Caldwell. The witnesses were Francis and Annie Campbell and the priest was Rev Eugene O’Callaghan.

Mary Flynn [nee Cauldwell] died 01/03/1937 aged 33 years from influenza. she was living at Gillis Row.

James Flynn joined the Pioneer Corps in 22 January 1940. His date of birth was given as 1 August 1903 but not sure if this is reliable. He served in France and was originally reported as killed in action but later reported as injured he made his way back to Dunkirk and arrived back in England . He was discharged on medical grounds on 11 September 1941. I am not sure when he returned to Armagh. He was accidentally killed falling down stairs in a public house in Thomas Street whilst living at Dobbin Street.

My dad lived with an aunt when his dad was in sevices and after he died, I think on banbrooke hill but i dont know her name. She had her own children and one boy sufferred from bad asthma.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Flynn Armagh 1903
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 March 17 18:15 GMT (UK) »
There don't seem to be any births for a Flynn in any of the N.I. counties on 1 Aug.1903. It's possible he was registered with a different surname or the date is incorrect.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline richardanthony

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 March 17 18:17 GMT (UK) »
perhaps the date he gave the army was wrong. Is there any other way to find this.His father was also called james.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 March 17 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Closest I can find in 1911 census is James Finn born Scotland living Primrose St.-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Armagh/Armagh_South_Urban/Primrose_Street/325012

Hopefully someone else will have more luck finding him

Offline richardanthony

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 March 17 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks that's thrown another hat in the ring, i hadnt considered they had moved to ireland. I know James lived in primrose street [or primrose hill as it was known locally according to an armagh historian] just before he married Mary Caldwell as its on the marriage certificate.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 March 17 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Do you have a copy of the civil certificate for the 1928 marriage? you said father James Flynn listed as deceased but is there any occupation listed there?

Closest I can find in 1911 census is James Finn born Scotland living Primrose St.-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Armagh/Armagh_South_Urban/Primrose_Street/325012
There is a death for a Susan Flynn (age 59) 6 Jan.1936 Armagh district.
Also James O'Flynn, tramp (July 1908) & James Flynn, tramp (February 1909) up at court for being drunk
May be not all connected or anything to do with your family but there aren't that many Flynns in Armagh  :-\

Offline richardanthony

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 March 17 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Yes he is listed as being [dec] labourer

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 March 17 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Not much help then  :-\

I tried to find Primrose St., etc. in Valuation books (which go up to c1929) to see if any familiar names there (might have been staying with relatives when he got married) but can't even find that street. Hopefully someone who known Armagh better will have some ideas

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 March 17 12:21 GMT (UK) »
You need to search under 'Corporation' (don't ask me why, though). Primrose Street 1910 to 1921, for example, is in book Reference: VAL/12/B/10/7B (1910 - 1921), starting at page 93.

On a quick scan through, I can see a 'Susan Flynn', at map ref 28c, local number 34, from what looks to be 1914, which looks to have changed to another person in 1916 (and someone before Susan too, albeit not James).

There may be other Flynn entries I've missed.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .