Author Topic: Maguire, Shuttle Hill, Coleraine  (Read 2774 times)

Offline Kane57

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Maguire, Shuttle Hill, Coleraine
« on: Sunday 19 March 17 17:01 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find information about this family Maguire.
My grandfather Robert Maguire was born 01/10/1881 in Shuttle Hill, Coleraine.
Robert enlisted in the Royal Irish Fusiliers on 05-06/12/1898 at the age of 17.
His father was also named Robert and his mother’s name was Jane Maguire formerly Mc Donnell.  On their marriage certificate Robert and Jane are recorded as married in Shuttle Hill in 1872, he is listed as a servant and she is recorded as a spinner.  His father is Michael a mason and her father John Mc Donnell a labourer.
I cannot find this family on the census.
Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Kane57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Maguire, Shuttle Hill, Coleraine
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 September 17 11:50 BST (UK) »
I have just discovered in the 1831 census, three Maguire families living in Killowen street Coleraine.
Michael Maguires son Robert was married in1872.  I estimate this would make Michael about 45-50 in 1872.  His DOB would have been about 1822 give or take a few years. If I am correct it's likely that he was one of the children from three families listed on the 1831 census.  The children are not named on the census so is there any way I can make the link between Michael and these families?
I am trying to find information about this family Maguire.
My grandfather Robert Maguire was born 01/10/1881 in Shuttle Hill, Coleraine.
Robert enlisted in the Royal Irish Fusiliers on 05-06/12/1898 at the age of 17.
His father was also named Robert and his mother’s name was Jane Maguire formerly Mc Donnell.  On their marriage certificate Robert and Jane are recorded as married in Shuttle Hill in 1872, he is listed as a servant and she is recorded as a spinner.  His father is Michael a mason and her father John Mc Donnell a labourer.
I cannot find this family on the census.
Any help would be appreciated.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 September 17 12:15 BST (UK) »
Waterside would be in Killowen area- households of a William Maguire & a Margaret Maguire there-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/c19/007246492/007246492_00447.pdf
John Maguire on this page- http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/c19/007246492/007246492_00449.pdf
Not sure where you got Killowen Street from  :-\

R.C. registers for that area only start 1843 for baptisms- http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0341

For reference- Robert's birth certificate (1881)- https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1881/02808/2030540.pdf

Possible death for father Robert McGuire in 1898 Coleraine Workhouse (age 55 so born c1843)-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1898/05833/4651992.pdf
Possible death for Jane Maguire in 1886 (age 40 so born c1846)- certificate will eventually be online.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 September 17 14:46 BST (UK) »
Found this birth,perhaps his birth.

Name:
Robert Maguire

Date of Birth:
15-Jun-1877

Registration Date:

Address:
Boyds Row Coleraine
Parish/District:
COLERAINE
County
Co. Derry

Denomination:
Registrar District

Father:
Robert Maguire
Mother:
Jane McDonnell
Labourer

Sponsor 1 /
Informant 1:
Jane Maguire
Sponsor 2 /
Informant 2:

Notes:

Regards Mary.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline Kane57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 September 17 18:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that.
The Robert Maguire born 1881 and Robert Maguire born 1877 were brothers and Michael Maguires grandsons.
Their father who married Jane Mc Donnell was also named Robert.
I have a copy of Robert and Janes wedding certificate but not their birth or death certificates.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 September 17 20:46 BST (UK) »
Civil registration of births started in 1864 so there will be no birth certificates for Robert and Jane. I have already posted 2 likely deaths for them.

Offline Kane57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 21:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks again for that.
The death cert for Robert could well be his but without further evidence I cannot be sure.
The death cert for Jane is not the correct Jane.
There is an article in Northern Constitution 17/05/1890 and 14/04/1890 page 8 about Robert and Jane being fined for displaying their baskets for sale in an unapproved area. (They were basket makers ).
Therefore they were both alive in 1890.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 November 18 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Also-

Northern Constitution, 26 Apr.1879: … case in which the same parties were concerned. John Parker, shoemaker, summoned the same defendant, Maguire; also, Jane and Elizabeth Maguire, and Mary Magennis, for assault on the same occasion. Elizabeth did not appear. The plaintiff stated that he had ...

Coleraine Chronicle, 11 Mar.1882: He also reported that William and Robert Maguire refused to take their baskets, &c., into the Waterlow[?] Market. 

Coleraine Chronicle, 11 Aug.1888: … conducted themselves very disorderly. The Chairman said the Bench had carefully considered the case, and decided to fine Jane Maguire £1 and costs, or in default, one month's imprisonment. Robt. Maguire would have to go to gaol for one month, without the ...

Northern Constitution, 11 Aug.1894: Alleged Larceny in Ballymoney. On Thursday evening travelling basket-maker named Robert Maguire, was brought up in Mr. Dowler’s office, Ballymoney, before Messrs. Wm. Hamilton and John Boyd, and charged by ...

Can't find a death registration for Jane (perhaps she died elsewhere). There are, however, more scanned vital records online since you started this thread and more to be added (supposed to be this month but there's a delay). For example, Robert & Jane's certificate is online as well as marriage for his brother Michael-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1879/11065/8048105.pdf

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 March 20 09:21 GMT (UK) »
This death certificate is now online-
Possible death for Jane Maguire in 1886 (age 40 so born c1846)- certificate will eventually be online.

Jane Maguire, died 29 Jan.1886 Shuttle Hill, married, age 40, wife of a dealer, loss of blood eleven weeks no medical attendant un-certified-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1886/06264/4794067.pdf