Author Topic: Geoghegan family of Limerick County  (Read 1625 times)

Offline JMerrill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Geoghegan family of Limerick County
« on: Sunday 19 March 17 20:20 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to research my 2nd great grandmother, Bridget Geoghegan.  The only information I have is she was born 9 Mar 1833 at Carrough Cottage, Limerick County, Ireland.  Would that be the actual name of her house?  If it is how would I find out what city it is in.  She immigrated to Canada around 1855.  I am searching from the US but we will be in Ireland in September.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Geoghegan family of Limerick County
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 March 17 00:30 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat,
County Limerick only has one city, Limerick City, but she may not be from the city.
Where did the name Carrough Cottage come from, was it a transcription or did you see the original.
Carrough isn't a place name in Limerick but it is a surname in Ireland, I only know that from looking it up now I'd never heard of it before so I think it's fairly rare.
If it was written by someone in Canada it may be a place name spelt phonically.
There are quite a few places in Limerick starting with Carr.

Civil Registration didn't start until 1864 in Ireland so Bridget won't have a birth cert, so the only way to find her is a baptism (I'm assuming she is RC) but to do that you need to know where in Limerick she came from and ideally her parents as well as the name Bridget Geoghegan will be fairly common also not all parishes will have records that early.
You can see just how many parishes there are on this site
http://registers.nli.ie/

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 March 17 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Carrough Cottage.
When I searched Carrough the nearest place was Croagh, near Rathkeale.
Possible Carrough with an accent was Croagh.
In the Griffiths Valuation there is an unoccupied dwelling in Croagh owned by James Geoghegan this was in 1852.
Do you know Bridget's Fathers name?
(I knew of a place called Mothereeny, no it was Modreeny)
Any siblings names?
Maggsie

Offline JMerrill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 March 17 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Sinann, I have not seen the original document the only information I have is from a written history by a relative long gone.  I have no other place to start so I am using it as a starting point.

Maggsie,  Thanks for the hint about the name, it is worth looking into.  I have no information about Bridget in Ireland.  The only documents I can find are after she arrives in Canada.  These documents have no information about parents or siblings so I am at a dead end there. 

Thank you both for your quick replies to me.
Janell

Offline TeresaM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 July 18 06:54 BST (UK) »
There were several Geoghegan families in and around Glin. I believe your Bridget was the daughter of John Geoghegan and Bridget Murphy. Another family member, Catherine, married Thomas Liston and some of their descendants posted some information about the family on line many years ago. The TAB has John Geoghegan in Tooraree Upper about 1830 and in the Griffith Valuation, Bridget is still there. A gravestone in Kilfergus commemorates John Geoghegan of "Upper Tullery" who died 17th April 1844 aged 51 years. This is a little earlier than the family record which had John dying in 1848 (from memory). On 2 October 1870, Bridget Geoghegan of Ballyguiltenan died aged 78. A townland slightly to the east of Glin is Caheragh, which according to a map of the parish of Kilfergus , Glin in 1841 shows Caheragh house and Eastwood cottage. I wonder if this could have been your Carrough. I suspect that John may have been the brother of my 2x great grandfather Patrick Geoghegan as might be indicated by our moderate DNA match!

Offline JMerrill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 July 18 16:25 BST (UK) »
 I believe you are correct in connecting my Bridget to this family.  Liston is the middle name of one of my grandfather's brothers.  Caheragh could very well be the Carrough I have been searching for.  Thank you so much for this info.  Where did you find our moderate DNA match?