Author Topic: Missing Home Child Alice Keats bn 1898 in Ipswich  (Read 5940 times)

Offline littlesis 76

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Missing Home Child Alice Keats bn 1898 in Ipswich
« on: Sunday 19 March 17 21:19 GMT (UK) »
HI I have moved this over to here as I have now discovered my missing little girl was a home child.
Her name is Alice Keats bn 1898 in Ipswich England,she went to Canada in 1914 with her brother William.Edward Tricker (Alice was illegimate)
I can find lots on Edward as he was KOA in 1917 but nothing on Alice past the passenger list.
I will post the link to my previous posts
Any help most appreciated

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=767756.new;topicseen#new

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Home Child
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 March 17 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Just marking this to see if anything is found.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 March 17 15:00 GMT (UK) »
She is listed here on a Board of Guardians list :

Alice Keats 1914 , 15 , Ipswich , Dr Barnardos , Date of First Inspection May 14 , Dates of Re-inspection Nov 16 and Aug 17. In the margin under Remarks it says married.

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/immigration/immigration-records/home-children-1869-1930/boards-guardians/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=5559&DotsIdNumber=
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 March 17 15:05 GMT (UK) »
That's good, so it looks as if after a sad start to life, she may have had a much better life in Canada.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline littlesis 76

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 March 17 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for finding that for me.Lovely to hear she married .
With that time frame it might make it easier to find her marriage and all little more on her life.
Thanks again

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 March 17 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Since the record Christine53 found indicates only 1 inspection was required, and apparently recorded, I wonder if the later date of 17 Aug 1918 might possibly be her date of marriage? It hasn't helped me to find a record yet but thought I'd put the suggestion out as 'food for thought'.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline littlesis 76

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 March 17 23:15 GMT (UK) »
I have spent a long time tonight trying to find a marriage  on FindMyPast anc and family search but nothing am afraid I am not very good when it comes to researching outside UK
Did find 3 newspaper articles dated 1900,1902 and 1904 all regarding child neglect.There father received prison sentences every time the last one was 14 months. But he is still in trouble over next few years.
Fingers crossed Alice had a better life ,would love to be able to contact any living relatives that may have known her

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 March 17 23:45 GMT (UK) »
She is certainly very well hidden. It seems reasonable to expect that she married in Ontario but there just doesn't seem to be anything showing up so far (I believe an Ontario record should be on Ancestry and familysearch). You do have her name out there now and perhaps a rellie will find your posts about her (and her brother).
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 02:38 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if the following site link will help at all, but you could have a look through this British Home Children in Canada Research Site. It may give you some ideas or contacts for further research.

http://www.britishhomechildren.com/researchbhb

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley