Author Topic: alva births  (Read 1143 times)

Offline lnr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
alva births
« on: Sunday 19 March 17 21:44 GMT (UK) »
 Are there some of Alva births, christenings missing. also are there any records for the Alva graveyard/s I am looking for Rennie from 1836 children of George Rennie and Janet Stevenson thanks lnr

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: alva births
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 March 17 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Are there some of Alva births, christenings missing.
Almost certainly!

also are there any records for the Alva graveyard/s
See https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/guides/old-parish-registers/list-of-old-parish-registers - there don't seem to be any burial records after 1806 in Alva.

Alva is now in the area of Clackmannanshire Council, who would have any other burial records. See http://www.clacksweb.org.uk/ (NB Do NOT order any BMD certificates through their web site as they will charge you 10 times what it would cost you to view and download the same from www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk)

I am looking for Rennie from 1836 children of George Rennie and Janet Stevenson
Do you have a list of the ones you know about? Have you found any of them in a census? What else do you know about them?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline lnr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 March 17 21:41 GMT (UK) »
 james 1836,mary,1837,ann 1839,isabella 1841 janet1843,william1845 wallace,1846marion 1847, george 1855 he was born Dumblane perthshire 1855. I cannot find the 1841/ 1871 census for this family and i notice on Ancestry that other people are saying that the mother is janet Stonner? I have looked up a few of the certs from Scotlands people  because I am researching Mary .She came to Nz abt 1862 and she was a witness at sister Isabellas marriage 1862 Due to these certs i think the mother is Janet Stevenson Thanks lnr

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 March 17 23:06 GMT (UK) »
********* Ancestry again! Never trust anything you find online unless it is a scan of an original document.

There are two baptisms of children to George Rennie and Janet Stroner in Dundee, Ann in 1840 and James in 1842. This couple are in Dundee in the 1841 census: George, 25; Jannet, 20; Ann, 1; all born in Angus.

In 1841 yours are listed as Rannie, and they are in Alva: George, 25; Janet, 25; James, 6; Mary, 4; George, 3; Esabella, 1; and Jean Stevenson, 20.

They are at Burnside, Alva in 1851: George, 25; Janet, 37; James, 15; Mary, 14; Isabella, 10; Janet, 8; William, 6; Marion, 4, all except Janet sr born in Alva. Isabella must have been born in 1840/1841 and Janet in 1842/1843, which is almost exactly when Janet Stroner's children Ann and James were born.

So it is plainly obvious from the records that they are two different families.

In 1861 they are in St Ninians: George, 45, Janet, 45, Mary, 22, Janet, 16; Wallace, 15; George, 6.  (I think Wallace must be a misreading of William; when you look at the original you can decide for yourself what you think it is.)

I can't find them in 1871.

I bet someone has been looking for Janet Stevenson, come across Janet Stroner,  and, because they can't find baptisms with mother Janet Stevenson, have assumed that Stroner is a variant of Stevenson and they are the same people. Then other people have found and copied that wrong information, and before you know it there are 20 trees online with the same wrong information.

If you haven't already done so, get a copy of the birth certificate of George Rennie, born in 1855. This will contain a load of extra information over and above what you would get in a later birth certificate. It will confirm that his mother was Janet Stevenson, and it will tell you how many older siblings George had, and how many were still living and how many were dead.

I see that George Sr, widowed, is in the household of George Jr and his wife in the 1881 census. Janet Stevenson or Rennie, aged 67, died in St Ninians in 1878. George Rennie, aged 71, died in St Ninians in 1887. If these are your George and Janet, their death certificates should tell you the full names of their parents including their mothers' maiden names.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline lnr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 00:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Yes I have Janets and Georges deaths and a few of the childrens marriage certs to confirm things will get George jnrs birth thanks lnr