Author Topic: John Ambrose Brand 1844 - 1902  (Read 828 times)

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
John Ambrose Brand 1844 - 1902
« on: Sunday 19 March 17 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I'd be grateful for some help finding records of a John Ambrose BRAND please. His birth was registered in the first quarter of 1844 in the Bromley (Kent) registration district. Mother's maiden name is VINTEN.
A Harriett (sometimes Harriet) VINTEN marries a James Brand on 24 July 1843 in Holy Trinity Church, Newington, London. In 1851 they are living in Bromley, Kent and son John is with them (piece 1606, folio 84, page 21). Harriett dies in the 3rd quarter of 1860 in the Bromley registration district, aged 50. I don't have a death record for James Brand, but I think he is already dead by the time of the 1861 census.
Their son John is still alive though - he is lodging in Bromley (piece 463, folio 158, page 23). He is an agricultural labourer. I guess this occupation became increasingly unsustainable given the rapid ate of urbanisation at tat time, because by 1871 he is a soldier and is living in the Woolwich Barracks (piece 780, folio 48, page 3).
On 15 October 1873, he marries Mary Ann Bowsfield MOORE in the Bromley registration district. My sources for this are the England and Wales marriage index and the UK British Army and Navy BMD records.
By 1874, he is in India (presumably stationed there) and has a son James Ambrose BRAND b.14/7/1874 in Saugor. Sadly, James dies on 30th July and is buried in Saugor. Again my sources for these facts are the Army and Navy BMD records.
I can't find any record of John Ambrose BRAND from then until 1902, when (according to the London Workhouse Admissions and Discharge Register) he is admitted to Christ Church Workhouse in Southwark on 22 April. His occupation is a butcher and he is described as 'aged and infirm'. There is no information re his marital status until, two days later (ie 24 April 1902), he is moved to the workhouse infirmary. His occupation is again given as butcher and this time his marital status is 'married'. It would seem as if John's physical condition did not improve because his death is registered in the 2nd quarter of 1902 in Camberwell RD.
It's perhaps unsurprising that John appears not to be enumerated on the 1881 or 1891 censuses if he is serving abroad with the army. But given he is back in England by 1902 and is clearly not 'fighting fit'; I would have expected to find him on the 1901 census. But so far I have not been able to. I can't find him in any overseas or British army records after 1874 either.
I don't know who he is married to when he's admitted to the workhouse in 1902 - it could still be Mary MOORE (she is born in 1838 in Berwick-upon-Tweed, for info) but equally it could be someone else.
Any help would be appreciated!
Please note that there is a record of a John Ambrose BRAND marrying a Harriet(t) ANDREWS in 1872, followed by subsequent births of children. I had thought that 'my' John BRAND might be committing bigamy and living a 'double life'. But the husband of Harriet(t) ANDREWS is a different John Ambrose BRAND, born c1853 in Essex.
Thanks,
Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Ambrose Brand 1844 - 1902
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 March 17 09:03 GMT (UK) »
I think his wife also died in 1874 in India :

Mary Ann Brand 34 , wife of Bombardier J Brand ,died 9 Oct &  buried 10 Oct 1874 Saugor, cause of death Enteric Fever.
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 March 17 10:01 GMT (UK) »
I'm wondering if John Ambrose Brand , butcher , in the Workhouse in 1902 is yours after all. You mention John Ambrose Brand and Harriet Andrews and here they are in 1891 in Kensington :

John Ambrose Brand head 38 Butcher , b Chapel , Essex
Harriet wife 47
John A  15
RG12 27 67 48
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 March 17 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christine,
Yes - it looks as if his wife Mary Ann does die in 1874. Her birth is registered in the 4th quarter of 1838 - so in October 1874 she'd be 35 turning 36. Her age at death is therefore a year out, but otherwise it's a good match. Thanks!
Hmmm....confusing re the John Ambrose Brand and Harriet Andrews. I don't think the two Johns can be the same - census records appear to confirm that there definitely are two such-named individuals. Born in different places and approx 9 years apart ('mine' in 1844 and the other in 1853). The John Ambrose Brand who enters the workhouse in 1902 is quite clear that he is born c1845, and his age at death in 1902 also supports this - which is why I thought he was 'mine'. Although it could be that the younger John Ambrose Brand merely gets his age wrong.
There is a record of a marriage of a John Ambrose Brand to Harriet Andrew's in 1872, a year before the marriage of John Ambrose Brand and Mary Ann Bowsfield Moore. So if the two Johns are the same, did he commit bigamy???
Thanks for help so far,
Pheno
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 March 17 11:30 GMT (UK) »
There is a birth of a John Ambrose Brand registered in Q2 of 1853 in Lessen, Essex.
In 1871, that John Ambrose Brand is living in Paddington with father (another) John Ambrose Brand and mother Matilda. He is 17 years old and born in Chappel (not far from Lexden). He enters Westminster workhouse in 1892, with a recorded year of birth as 1851.
Perhaps he keeps adding years onto his age until, in 1902, he ends up with a birth year of 1845? So maybe the one entering the workhouse in 1902 isn't my John Ambrose Bond after all? I guess I need to see if the Lexden one is around in 1911....
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Wray - Yorkshire