Author Topic: Hugh McCrum, Carnmoney, 1836-1902, wild-west pioneer, rags to riches tale  (Read 3967 times)

Offline Roy_L

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hugh McCrum was my g, grandfathers brother, originally thought to have lived in the Carnmoney area before he and most of his family boarded a Famine Ship bound for America in 1850.
 The following is a record of his life as discovered by myself and U.S. novelist/blogger Jack Sullivan mainly through old newspaper records of the time  ->

http://pre-prowhiskeymen.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/hugh-mccrum-wests-peripatetic-whiskey.html

I`ve tried to track down a photograph over in US but nothing found so far.

Also locally i can`t find any record of his brother William (b. 1826) whose grand-daughter Agnes would be my grandmother.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated as i`ve hit a wall on this.

thanks,
Roy.

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh McCrum, Carnmoney, 1836-1902, wild-west pioneer, rags to riches tale
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 18:15 BST (UK) »
hi Roy, Your lucky to have his parents names James and Agnes McCrum.. James went earlier to america it says in the book  but unless proven I would be keeping a possibility he died in Ireland before 1850 if so his burial might be recorded somewhere within Carnmoney.  There is ongoing research see http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,18463.0.html

One incomplete online website of an original incomplete and simple record of 1835  is Tithes Applotment Books 1823-1837 based upon the index work of the Irish Genealogy Hub.  The relevant original books are in the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) Belfast. The entries include mcCrums in 3 townlands within the civil parish of Carnmoney

McCrum, Alexr.-Townland:       Ballycraigy Year: 1835- Carnmoney-Antrim
McCrum, Robert-Townland:    Ballycraigy Year: 1835- Carnmoney-Antrim
McCrum, Samuel-Townland:    Ballycraigy Year: 1835- Carnmoney-Antrim

McCrum, David-Townland:    Ballyhenry Year: 1835- Carnmoney-Antrim
MCCRUM, JAMES-TOWNLAND:    Ballyhenry Year: 1835- Carnmoney-Antrim
McCrum, John-Townland:    Ballyhenry Year: 1835- Carnmoney-Antrim

McCrum, Hugh-Townland:    Ballyvesey Year: 1835- Carnmoney-Antrim
McCrum, Hugh-Townland:    Ballyvisey Year: 1835- Carnmoney-Antrim

about 20 years plus later there are now 4 townlands mentioned references within the parish in Griffiths valuation see
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/
Mc Crum-Samuel-Ballycraigy-Carnmoney-Antrim
Mc Crum-Robert-Ballycraigy-Carnmoney-Antrim
Mc Crum-David-Ballycraigy-Carnmoney-Antrim
Mc Crum-Hugh-Ballycraigy-Carnmoney-Antrim

Mc Crum-Sarah-Garden Sq.,(Ballygolan)-Carnmoney-Antrim
Mc Crum-Alexander-Maiden Row,(Ballygolan)-Carnmoney-Antrim

Mc Crum-Thomas-Ballyhenry-Carnmoney-Antrim
Mc Crum-John-Ballyhenry-Carnmoney-Antrim

Mc Crum-James-Ballyvesey-Carnmoney-Antrim
Mc Crum-Hugh-Ballyvesey-Carnmoney-Antrim 

There is a continuation of Valuation s at PRONI website up tp 1922 usually if you find the right line descendants you can find them in the Irish Cenus 1901 and 1911 in
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie
eg 23 in Ballyvesey (Carnmoney, Antrim)
part of the entries read
McCrum   John   54   Male   Head of Family   Presbyterian
McCrum   Elizabeth Jane   41   Female   Wife   Presbyterian 

switching to searching for an  individual record of these time almost always leads one to church records, you will be very lucky to find his baptism or a related early tombstone etc.
see https://www.ancestryireland.com/ However familysearch.org does have entries for hugh and his first wife Emma b Maine, also cited as E J showing he had a son William A aged 7 b California ie the US Census for 1870.  and somewhere else else a daughter or son in law is cited. amongst other FS  entries is a note about an Hugh probate 1868 of , leaving his farm to son James in ballyvesey

You mentioned a brother could that be Wm. H. Mccrum b 1834 ireland Retired Farmer
a widower. Fathers name James McCrum
28 Nov 1909 Jackson, Jackson, Michigan
 source Michigan Deaths and Burials, 1800-1995," database, FamilySearch
anyway i leave you to exhaust familysearch
my bet is on Ballyhenry McCrum

goodluck Bally....G
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Roy_L

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 21:45 BST (UK) »
Many thanks BallyaltikilliganG, much appreciated, outside of the old newspaper records there`s been some guesswork by the author i reckon.

However there was a James and an Agnes mentioned aboard the Famine boat along with Hugh and other McCrums from `Antrim` here -> https://aad.archives.gov/aad/display-partial-records.jsp?dt=180&mtch=18&q=McCrum&cat=SB302&tf=F&bc=sb,sl&rpp=20

In this forum posts from `Dixie Dee` re. Carnmoney Pres. Graveyard, records this baptism, it ties in to the month of the Hugh McCrum i`m after http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=521542.9
1836 - Sep.
 " 28/ " 16  Hugh      (James McCrum/Agnes Harvey)

It`s Hugh`s brother William that i`m interested in too, he would`ve been my grandmothers (Agnes McCrum) grandfather. The only mention of this William is here https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGZT-PL1

Hugh`s wife Helen left legacies in her will to the following relatives of Hugh back in N. Ireland around 1929
Helen McCRUM deceased, legacies to Mrs T. McCRUM & Mrs Sarah McCALL, Summer St, Belfast, Mrs Elizabeth DONNAN, Carntall, Co Antrim, Mrs Mary LOGAN, Malvern St, Belfast, Mrs May HAWTHORNE, Canbrai St, Belfast, Hugh McCRUM, Majestic St, Belfast, Miss Ellen Jane BLACK, Waringstown, Lurgan, Robert McCRUM, Linenhall St, Belfast, John McCRUM & David McCRUM, Ashfield, Co Down, William Henry McCRUM, Grosvenor Rd, Belfast, James, Robert & Ellen McCRUM, Banbridge, Co Down, Mrs Agnes LYLE, Ballycross, Co Down date 1929-06-12

From research in the San Francisco probate records, via the Calif. Genealogy Society it records Hugh`s brothers and sisters as John, Samuel, Mary, Agnes and Margaret in the US.
No mention of a William in USA either?

This is text from some of the old documents we found when clearing out the home place. Also found some correspondence from the American Consulate
Helen McCrum who died recently in USA know all men by these present, that I Agnes Lyle wife of R.J. Lyle, and daughter of William McCrum who married Mary Patience, the said William McCrum being son of William McCrum born 1826, the William McCrum having been a brother of Hugh McCrum deceased born 1836, said Hugh McCrum been the Husband of the above named Helen McCrum deceased.

Hugh`s was certainly an exciting and colourful life lived at a time of gunslingers, apaches and all the dangers of the wild-west

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 07:47 BST (UK) »
It appears that Hugh married a Mrs. Emma J Brown:

Sacramento Daily Union, 4 May 1865
San Francisco: April 27, 1865 - Married
Hugh McCrum - Mrs. Emma J Brown
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jzt/

1880 San Francisco Census
Hugh and Emma McCrum with
Wm. A. Brown, "Son in law", age 16, born California, father born New York, mother born Maine

Death of Emma J McCrum
San Francisco Call, 7 December 1896
On December 5, 1896...beloved mother of William A. Brown...
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jzu/
So, it appears that this William was still alive in 1896.

Also locally i can`t find any record of his brother William (b. 1826) whose grand-daughter Agnes would be my grandmother.

Was Agnes born in Ireland?   :-\
Do you believe that William returned/stayed in Antrim; is there a chance that he also lived in California?  (I've not yet found anything for him in California.)

PS  There are at least three articles (from the above link) about William A Brown losing property and goods to Mrs. Anna M. Whitney.   :-[
According to the California Voter Registers, his middle name was Albert.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline allister1964

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 16:59 BST (UK) »
Hello,  My  name  is  Allister  Girvin  from  County  Antrim,  N.Ireland.  I  have  an  interest  in  the  McCrum  family,  as  two  of  my  relatives,  ie:  John  Burney  Gibson  Smyth  (1906-76)  married
Isabella  McCrum (born 1911),  and  Jeanette  Louden  (1912-97)  married  Isabella's  brother,  James  McCrum  (1914-91). Both  John  Smyth  and  Jeanette  Louden  are, like  me,  descended  from  the  marriage  of  James  Girvan  and  Agnes  Stirling  in  1732.

As  I  have  a  record  of  your  ancestor,  ie:  Hugh,  on  my  extended  family  tree,  I  thought I'd
share  the  following  information  on  the  background  of  your  family. Most  of  this,  was  compiled by  William  Fee  McKinney (c1832-1917), during  the  latter  part  of  his  lifetime. I  have
researched  the  family  forward  from  1917-present.

John  McCrum  (born c1690),  settled  in  Carnmoney  in  1715.  He  was  from Whithorn  in  Wigtownshire, Scotland,  and  brought  a  'testimonial'  from  there  to  introduce  himself. (Source:
WF McKinney's family  register  books 1708-1917). John  married  Betty  Clotworthy  in  1725, and had  3  sons:  John  (born 1726)  ;  Alexander  (born c1732)  and  *Samuel  (born 1742).

Samuel  (b 1742),  married  twice.  His  first  married  Margaret  Kirkpatrick in 1769. Their
family  were:  John  (born 1771) ;  Robert (b: c1773) ;  Clotworthy (born 1775) ; Alexander
(born 1777) ;  *Hugh (1779-1868) ;  Mary  (born 1781) ; Robert (1784-1864) ; William  (born
1786)  and  Elizabeth  (born 1788).  ** John  BG  Smyth  and  Jeanette  Louden  are  descended  from  the  above,  Hugh (1779-1868)  who  married  Mary  Bryson.

Samuel's  second  marriage  was  to  Margaret  McIlroy  in  1793. Their  family  were:  Margaret  (born: 1794) ;  Samuel  (born: c1795) and   *James  (born 1797)  married  Agnes  Harvey  in  1819. James McCrum  and  Agnes  had  the  following  family:  Margaret  (born 1820) ; Samuel (born c1823) ; William  (born: 1826) ;  Mary  (born: 1828) ; Robert (born 1830) ; Agnes (born 1832) ;  John James  (born c1834) ; *Hugh  (born: 1836)  and  Joanna  (born: 1838).

I  have  just  looked  at  the  family  records,  and  beside John  and  Agnes  it  reads  ''emigrated  to  America''.

Hope  this  information  has  been  of  help  to  you.       Regards, Allister.

PS:  John McCrum  (b: c1690) firstly  married  Mary  McNeilly  in  1716,  though  don't  appear  to  have  had  any  family.

Offline Roy_L

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 22:35 BST (UK) »
Great research Lisa, BallyaltikilliganG and now Allister - many thanks,

Allister, you have some great info there, it seems to confirm that the family of James and Agnes McCrum emigrated to the USA on that Famine boat i mentioned, here > https://aad.archives.gov/aad/display-partial-records.jsp?dt=180&mtch=18&q=McCrum&cat=SB302&tf=F&bc=sb,sl&rpp=10&sort=17181%20desc

although it seems that the son William probably remained at home and had a son also William who was my grandmothers (Agnes McCrum`s) father.

Also this `William  Fee  McKinney (c1832-1917)`, what was his connection if any to the McCrum family?

Lisa, it seems a photo of Hugh McCrum, whom old newspapers described as a self-made capitalist still evades me, however i`ve found a passport photo of his wife Helen in later years after Hughs` passing. Strange that someone who was so well known throughout the Pacific slope and had so many business ventures was never recorded.
 Attached is a link to a folder containing newspaper cuttings, censuses, marriage certs, mining deals etc from 1860 - 1900 of various ventures of Hugh McCrum, possibly of interest to some.
https://www.dropbox.com/home/Public/Hugh%20McCrum

Offline allister1964

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 06:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Roy,  Unfortunately, I am unable to locate William McCrums marriage. His son, William was born in 1842 (according to the Census), so he was born before Civil Registration.  I viewed his marriage certificate online (via the NI direct website), to Mary Patience. It appears that the family settled in County Down, where there were already numerous families with the same name, though are of no immediate connection to their own. This make things quite confusing. One of Wm and Mary's sons, ie: Hugh, moved to Belfast. and had a family of his own. He was born in 1875, and you can find him in the Census, living in Majestic Street. You asked me about Wm Fee McKinney. He was of no relation to the McCrum's, though he had a keen interest in family history, and so recorded many family genealogies, from the earliest baptisms in 1708, until his death in 1917. There's a book concerning him called 'Sentry Hill, An Ulster Farm and Family'  by  Brian Walker.

That's all for now. 

Offline Roy_L

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 August 17 18:02 BST (UK) »
Allister, sent you PM there...

Offline NIGough

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 September 17 19:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Allister -

I have McCrum's from Carnmoney also... I'm still working on that side of the family but what I have is the following...

My 3rd Great Grandfather John McCrum, Labourer (b.abt 1839?). Married Harriet Jones 09 Jan 1860 Carnmoney (Parish Church). Father of John McCrum is Robert McCrum (Labourer). (I've got an image of the marriage cert). John was resident at Hightown and Harriet was a resident of Ballynallady (I'm not sure if I'm reading that correctly). A witness is a James McCrum.

I've also got an Alexander McCrum (b.abt 1830?). Married Mary Boyle on 01 Sep 1851 in Carnmoney. Father Robert McCrum (I think Alexander is John McCrum's brother and I do have a DNA connection with someone under his line too).

Have you come across any of these people?

Kind Regards
Anthony