Author Topic: Hugh McCrum, Carnmoney, 1836-1902, wild-west pioneer, rags to riches tale  (Read 3996 times)

Offline allister1964

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh McCrum, Carnmoney, 1836-1902, wild-west pioneer, rags to riches tale
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 16:43 BST (UK) »
Hello Anthony,

It's good to know that someone else is working on the McCrum family. I have alot of info regarding them, which apart from dates of birth,  marriage and death, includes,  newspaper articles from the early nineteenth century, etc...  Yes, I do have John McCrum and Harriet Jones as part of the family, though I thought that Johns parents were James McCrum and Agnes Harvey (sorry I got it wrong).

I do have a record of a John McCrum, born in 1824, who was a child of:  Robert McCrum (1784-1864), and his wife,  Jane Bryson (1793-1871). I located, Robert's Will online, and when he died, he was resident in the townland of Ballycraigy,  Carnmoney. He was a farmer. Robert's parents were Samuel McCrum (born 1742)  and  Margaret Kirkpatrick (born 1749), and finally, Samuel's parents were  the  John  McCrum  (who came to Carnmoney, from Whithorn, Wigtonshire  in  Scotland) in 1715/16  and  Betty  Clotworthy. The above named,  Samuel was married twice, 1st  to: Margaret Kirkpatrick  and  2nd  to  Margaret McIlroy.  I hope this is of some help to you.

Regards, Allister.

Offline NIGough

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 20:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Alister

Thanks for the reply!

I've had another look, the wedding cert for John McCrum/Harriet Jones in 1860 only have 'Full' for their ages and I cannot see any sources from where his birthdate of 1839 has come from.

His brother Alexander McCrum was noted on the marriage record as being born in 1830.

Both Alexander and John's marriage cert's have a Robert McCrum as being the father.

If you are right about the John you have being the same John that I have, so John being born 1824 and his father Robert being born in 1784 and Robert's wife being born in 1793, that would mean that Robert and Jane Bryson being 40 and 31, respectively, for Robert's birth and then 46 and 37 for Alexander...  Wouldn't that be quite late on in life to have children in those days?

I hope they are the same people :)
Anthony
nigoughdna@gmail.com

Offline Corinne McCrum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 04 May 20 05:49 BST (UK) »
Hi
I received this link from another guy who was related to my line of the McCrums who lived in Rathfriland Co Down. I am not sure how far back the 2 sets of McCrums are linked but there are recurring names of John, Samuel and Robert, which also appear on our family tree.

I came across a biographical entry for Samuel McCrum (son of Moses) which describes his father's early life, states Moses was married three times, and that Samuel (b1854) was the youngest son of Moses' third wife Jane Campbell. The full text is:

"Samuel McCrum is of Irish birth and descent,having been born in County Down, Ireland, Oct. 11,1854.

Both his father, Moses McCrum, and grandfather, John McCrum were born in the same County, in the old McCrum homestead, and both were linen-weavers by trade.

Moses McCrum was born in June, 1790, and died July 24, 1874, at the hale old age of eighty-four. While quite a young man he engaged in the coastwise trade, owning and sailing vessels plying between Ireland and Scotland. In this venture he was unfortunate, his first vessel being wrecked and his second burned; and in 1815 he emigrated from Ireland to America, where he found work at his trade with a Mr. Baldwin, on the Hudson river, subsequently becoming manager of the establishment.

In 1825 he returned to his native country, where he passed the remainder of his life as a farmer. He was three times married. Samuel, the subject of this biographical sketch, being the tenth child, and the youngest by the third wife, who was Jane Campbell, of Ireland.

Any advice gratefully appreciated.

Thanks, Corinne McCrum

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 04 May 20 12:04 BST (UK) »
Hi
I received this link from another guy who was related to my line of the McCrums who lived in Rathfriland Co Down. I am not sure how far back the 2 sets of McCrums are linked but there are recurring names of John, Samuel and Robert, which also appear on our family tree.

I came across a biographical entry for Samuel McCrum (son of Moses) which describes his father's early life, states Moses was married three times, and that Samuel (b1854) was the youngest son of Moses' third wife Jane Campbell. The full text is:

"Samuel McCrum is of Irish birth and descent,having been born in County Down, Ireland, Oct. 11,1854.

Both his father, Moses McCrum, and grandfather, John McCrum were born in the same County, in the old McCrum homestead, and both were linen-weavers by trade.

Moses McCrum was born in June, 1790, and died July 24, 1874, at the hale old age of eighty-four. While quite a young man he engaged in the coastwise trade, owning and sailing vessels plying between Ireland and Scotland. In this venture he was unfortunate, his first vessel being wrecked and his second burned; and in 1815 he emigrated from Ireland to America, where he found work at his trade with a Mr. Baldwin, on the Hudson river, subsequently becoming manager of the establishment.

In 1825 he returned to his native country, where he passed the remainder of his life as a farmer. He was three times married. Samuel, the subject of this biographical sketch, being the tenth child, and the youngest by the third wife, who was Jane Campbell, of Ireland.

Any advice gratefully appreciated.

Thanks, Corinne McCrum

Probate abstract from the PRONI wills site:

“The Will of Moses M'Crum late of Cullion County Down Farmer deceased who died 24 July 1874 at same place was proved at Belfast by the oath of James Humphreys of Bavin in said County Farmer the Executor.”

The will itself is on-line on the PRONI wills site. It mentions his wife Jane, sons John, David, Samuel, Robert, George, Isaac & William (now in America). Also daughters Elizabeth Nesbitt, Mary Ann, Annabella & Sarah Jane (both of whom were in America). Also son in law William Linden (living in Newry).

2 McCrum farms in Cullion in the 1901 census:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Down/Upper_Clonallan/Cullion/1250476/

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Down/Upper_Clonallan/Cullion/1250478/

Griffiths Valuation lists Moses (McCromb) in Cullion in 1864. He had plot 4a which was 32 acres. That farm today is up a lane on the modern Sandy Rd, between Newry & Rathfriland.

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=nameSearch

The tithe applotment records for 1834 show a John and a George McCrum farming separate farms in Cullion then. Presumably related to Moses somehow.

http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/down/tithe-applotment-books/clonallan-parish.php

Jane died at Cullion on 13.6.1881 aged 68.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1881/06443/4851655.pdf

I’d be surprised if there was any connection with the families in Co. Antrim mentioned earlier in this thread. The name is fairly common in Ulster. There’s over 300 in the 1901 census. Given the location and their denomination (Presbyterian) they will likely have originated in Scotland and moved to Ireland in the 1600s.
Elwyn

Offline Corinne McCrum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 04 May 20 15:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Elwyn
Thanks so much for this information. The only thing I can't pin down is the Plt 4a on Griffith's Valuation. It shows Plot 31 but I have actually visited the Cullion cottage once, that was still there in 2008. I think it is more likey off Sandy Lane so would love somehow to pin down that document on Griffiths referring to Plot 4a.
Many thanks
Corinne