Author Topic: Can you find Isabella Harrison in 1911?  (Read 1533 times)

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
Can you find Isabella Harrison in 1911?
« on: Sunday 19 March 17 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

I'm looking to the experts for help in finding a 3rd Great Aunt of mine.

Her name at birth was Isabell or Isabella Harrison, she was born December 1853 in Leeds and baptised in Potternewton in Leeds. The family are often recorded as being in Chapel Allerton, Leeds (which is walking distance away).

I have records of her on every census from 1861 to 1901 but I can't find her in 1911. As far as I am aware she spent her entire life in the Leeds area.

I believe that in January 1875 she married a Benjamin Newill in Leeds.  According to what I have gleaned from census and baptism records between them they had at least 10 children.

• Walter Newill b 1875
  • Hannah Newill b 1876
  • Mary Elizabeth Newill b 1878
  • Percy Newill b 1880 died 4 months later
  • Ethel Newill b 1882
  • Benjamin Newill b 1886
  • William Newill b 1887
  • Herbert Newill b 1889
  • Mabel Newill b 1895
  • Maud Newill b 1897

It seems that at some point before 1901 her Benjamin Newill dies, because on the 1901 census she is listed as a widow.

Now this is the bit were it diversifies off and it could be that I've made a mistake.

I think that on 16 May 1906 she marries again, to a Albert Elliott in Buslingthorpe, Leeds (again walking distance to Potternewton and Chapel Allerton). The age fits and father's name (William Harrison) all fit. The only difference is that they describe him as a builder, when he was at various times described as being a stone mason or stone delver, but I don't think those two things are that dissimilar.

The next time I found a record of her was in 1912, a burial record for Leeds Beckett cemetery where it says an Isabella Elliott wife of Albert was buried in November of that year. Apparently she died in the Union Infirmary.

Try as I might I can't find her on the 1911 census. I've tried under all her possible surnames, but with no luck.

My only clue was when I researched her second husband, Albert Elliott. On the 1911 census there is an Albert Elliott in prison in Armley. The age is about right.

I searched the papers and found mention of 2 Albert Elliotts involved in court cases in November/December 1910. One of these men was involved in a court case accused of assault against a step-daughter, but I can find no further details about what happened, whether it went to trial and what the outcome was. I have no way to prove that was or wasn't him. So that is possibly a factor, but it might be a totally different person and completely unrelated.

I've followed Isabella's children as far as I can. I've found about half of them on the 1911 census but Isabella is not with any of them. Her youngest daughter Maud appears to have ended up at a Barnados in Essex, of all places.

The only children I haven't followed to 1911 are Mabel Newill, Herbert Newill, Mary Elizabeth Newill and Hannah Newill, so it's possible that she is with them, but I'm having trouble determining where they ended up.

Thank you for reading.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Can you find Isabella Harrison in 1911?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 March 17 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Can you find Isabella Harrison in 1911?

Wasn't she Elliott by 1911?

Sorry - 1911 lookups are not allowed

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,355486.0.html

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 March 17 23:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ilona

as mentioned, Rootschat poicy hasn't changed with regards to the 1911 census, but it might be worth looking to see if you can find the Union Infirmary records for her admission and discharge and do an address search from those details.

It might also be worth contacting the Friends of Beckett Road cemetery and ask if plot 10094 is a private or public grave and if private who else might be buried in it.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 March 17 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Sorry I totally forgot about the 1911 rule.  :-[

Thanks for the help anyway everyone, all useful advice.

Thank you,

Ilona

Offline stitchwitch

• RootsChat Member
  • Creature of impulse with dodgy improbability drive
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 March 17 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Could you get to your local library to use Ancestry/ FindMyPast there perhaps? I wonder if she might possibly be in the workhouse/ hospital in April 1911, esp if husband is is banged up in Armley.

Stitch
Powell Barber Dyke Overton
Heywood Crimes Parsonage Hargrave Sheard Wild

Madness is hereditary, you get it from your children!

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 March 17 00:55 GMT (UK) »
Residents of the WH - both hospital and other areas - were recorded in 1911 under full names.  However - if she were possibly in a mental institution, she would probably be recorded under her initials only
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 March 17 01:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both.

Luckily I do have an ancestry subscription, I've just had no luck finding her. I've tried all sorts of combinations and tricks, missing out names, all her different married names and so on, but no luck.

I'm currently wading through the Leeds Union Workhouse census for 1911. There are pages of it and some of it is really badly transcribed even though the handwriting is pretty good. For example one person I think might be a Sarah is transcribed as 'Seesaw' so I'm hoping that she's in there and her name just hasn't come out well.

It seems likely she was there given when she was buried.

I shall keep pressing on!

Thanks again everyone.  :)

Online Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 March 17 01:53 GMT (UK) »
It might also be worth contacting the Friends of Beckett Road cemetery and ask if plot 10094 is a private or public grave and if private who else might be buried in it.

10094 is unfortunately a common grave with no other Elliott buried there
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Online Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 March 17 02:04 GMT (UK) »
I searched the papers and found mention of 2 Albert Elliotts involved in court cases in November/December 1910. One of these men was involved in a court case accused of assault against a step-daughter, but I can find no further details about what happened, whether it went to trial and what the outcome was. I have no way to prove that was or wasn't him. So that is possibly a factor, but it might be a totally different person and completely unrelated.

It was definitely the same Albert Elliott. The charge was "unlawfully and carnally knowing a certain imbecile girl named Mabel Newell, under circumstances that do not amount to rape but which prove that the defendant knew at the time of the commission of the said offence that the said girl was imbecile, at Leeds, on 15 July 1910 and on divers (sic) former days".  Sentenced to 12 months hard labour.  Previous offences include 22 times drunk, assault police etc from 1882.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.