Author Topic: information please/lookup Mullingar Smollen/Cosgrove  (Read 3835 times)

Offline tresario

• I have turned off all notifications to all topics
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: information please/lookup Mullingar Smollen/Cosgrove
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 02 April 17 22:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks Barb, I am still dangling in meath, trying to make the pieces fit. I will take what you have offered and go through it all piece by piece. I appreciate all the help. Many Thanks.

Just a thought did you do an Ancestry DNA test Barb by any chance ;D ::)
Breen,keenan,Boylan
Caldwell,Thompson,Bell.
Bradshaw,Smith,Waldron

Offline Barb Mullen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 03 April 17 04:30 BST (UK) »
Hi tresario,

I hope that dangling in Meath involves Guinness  ;)

Yes, I am on Ancestry DNA and GedMatch (A076749), so we could compare dna...we (S)Mullen(s) here are trying to recreate our dna and have done some work to that effect. I have a dna guru for a cousin who is in charge of the 'lazarus' project for us.

If I knew your details we could try to match the dna. A quick speed read on GedMatch to 5 generations didn't show me anything like your avatar here. Look for Barbara Mullen on ancestry or let me know your details ok.

cheers,
Barb

Offline tresario

• I have turned off all notifications to all topics
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 03 April 17 10:46 BST (UK) »
No but I hope it will lead me to a McGuinness!
This started out as a DNA match.. they don't have gedmatch.Robert Roche. Match him at 25.8 2segments.He is a shared match with my only 3rd cousin match,Greg Ryan who doesn't answer my emails. The person I'm admin for is Bernadette Breen gedmatch A909901
His reply was
what he wrote down -

"My great-grandmother Bridget Smolen (or Smullin) was born in Mullingan in the mid 1800s. She married John Kelly, my great grandfather. They immigrated to the U.S. in the late 1800s and settled in Bridgeport, Connecticut.

Bridget had a sister who became a nun. She went by the name of Sister Theckla. The family was from West Meath. I believe Sister Theckla died in a convent in an adjacent county."
I tried at 7cms and no match,dropped it to 3 and we match! 12.9cms, well not we exactly  ::) ;D

Chr   Start Location   End Location   Centimorgans (cM)   SNPs
15   27,764,808   31,271,520   6.2   527
17   54,842,320   61,948,969   6.6   732
Largest segment = 6.6 cM
Total of segments > 3 cM = 12.9 cM
2 matching segments

Great news robert uploaded to gedmatch  A207062.

Breen,keenan,Boylan
Caldwell,Thompson,Bell.
Bradshaw,Smith,Waldron